Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Ideas for office tank! Low-tech

Smile Need Ideas for office tank! Low-tech

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

Helping to set up an office tank for my dad-dimensions 17 x 23 x 14.5 (cm), has HOF, 9W PL light and base is ADA amazonia II.

We grew some plants as seen below and kept some angelfish but not very successful. Tank is now empty.

Any ideas for plants and fishes? Its going to be low tech with no fert or C02. Thinking of keeping betta fighting fish- how many can I keep in that tank?
    Anyone selling cheap betta?

Other suggestions welcomed! Especially for plants (easy maintenace and easy planting as my dad is not into aquascaping) Java fern seems to be too big.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Need Ideas for office tank! Low-tech

easy maintenance and planting = moss instead of plants. way easier.

my idea:
    skip all the plants. go get a Moss hut/moss bridge. costs $5-$8 retail depending on the type of moss used.
    that should practically occupy all the space.

for the fish, get small fishes which will remain tiny forever. feeding is also easier, simply buy flakes to feed. 1 bottle lasts very long.
    i would go for rummynose i think they are cute. if not, try the rasbora family. eg Harlequin rasbora (unsure of spelling).
    get about 8 of those.

keep it simple. the idea is not to overcrowd. and make that small space seem like there's space for more, but dont fill it up.

thats my suggestion. hope u like it.
    Moved on from plants to predatory fishes, but still finding for inspiration for a 3ft planted tank.

Hmm okay thanks! should I add rocks in? Will it make it see more crowded or spacious. What do you think of floating plants like frogbits and mini water lettuce? I have loads of them at home too.

http://aquashop88.com/images/Moss%20Bridge%202.jpg is a moss bridge eh? I will go to either C328 or polyart to buy- are all the moss bridge moss types easy to grow?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi yes moss are indeed suitable for low tech set ups. Maybe you can add in nanas and windelov for some green contrast as for the rocks u can also get some loose moss and tie on them. The moss tank should look very nice once it matures all the best!!
    Cheers!
    griffinkid

Keeping | Nannostomus Eques, Pseudomugil furcatus, Sphaerichthys osphromenoides, Pseudepiplatys annulatus and Corydoras hastatus |

oh okay, what type of moss should I go for? I heard that Java is hardy. Also if I go for moss-do I still need the ADA amazonia base or can I go for inert gravel/sand?

Is low-tech suitable for a moss lawn?

Thanks!

Anyone know what this is: I have quite alot of it in one of my house tanks. Given by a fellow forumer long ago.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Imho smaller fish like the Boraras are better. Tetras will look too big for this tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Anyone know what this is: I have quite alot of it in one of my house tanks. Given by a fellow forumer long ago.

Looks like freshwater seaweed to me -Subwassertang
    Cheers!
    griffinkid

Keeping | Nannostomus Eques, Pseudomugil furcatus, Sphaerichthys osphromenoides, Pseudepiplatys annulatus and Corydoras hastatus |

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Oh yes, by the way Java Moss is hardy but it doesn't have a distinct shape. I would suggest Spikey Moss or Taiwan Moss and if you are looking for tetras you might want to consider Green Tetras which are relatively small and doesn't grow that big. But you might want to consider Clown Killifish. They will look good in your tank size and will breed readily if conditions are good when left alone in species tank
    Cheers!
    griffinkid

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tangjyd View Post
    Hmm okay thanks! should I add rocks in? Will it make it see more crowded or spacious. What do you think of floating plants like frogbits and mini water lettuce? I have loads of them at home too.
    no floating plants - block light which is important. without light, your tank dont look as nice.

no space for rocks - small rocks dont look that good too :/
    Moved on from plants to predatory fishes, but still finding for inspiration for a 3ft planted tank.

http://www.google.com.sg/images?q=Gr...w=1440&bih=706

The green tetras look like neons to me. haha

Okay thanks for the input.keep them coming!

So for the base, can I do away with ADA soil so that my house tank can have more of them?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

oh okay, what type of moss should I go for? I heard that Java is hardy. Also if I go for moss-do I still need the ADA amazonia base or can I go for inert gravel/sand?

Is low-tech suitable for a moss lawn?

Thanks!
    u dont need soil unless u are planting plants into the soil itself. gravel/sand should do fine. if u want, i can spare u my leftovers (used for barely 2 days and i switched to soil!)
    most moss is really low requirements. just need water. lmao. so it should be suitable.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

http://www.google.com.sg/images?q=Gr...w=1440&bih=706

The green tetras look like neons to me. haha

Okay thanks for the input.keep them coming!

So for the base, can I do away with ADA soil so that my house tank can have more of them?

green tetras of course is similar. as said, ill go for the rasbora family, most of them looks great.
    yes. do away with it. just go with cheaper sands. and my suggestion is to avoid glittery/shiny sands as i feel it cuts down on the "NATURAL" look most people look for.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If you are going for sand then Sudo Bottom sand may be a good choice. Its fine and you can even add some bottom feeders like pygmy cory or kuhli loaches
    Cheers!
    griffinkid

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Well, if you are keeping soft water fishes which thrive at pH 6 or less, you may want to consider Aquasoil or gex for their pH buffering capcities.
    Cheers,
    Bernard
    Kept (no more ) Betta persephone, B. miniopinna, B. sp. palangkaraya, B. uberis, B. channoides, B. burdigala
    Pseudepiplatys annulatus, Nannostomus eques

Okay thanks for the input. Gotten the moss hut (java moss) thats the only type of hut they sell haha.

One more question do I need to get a algae eater? Like Otto or the golden algae eater? I find otto a rather weak fish, have good experience with golden algae eater but they may be too big :/. Was thinking of not having a algae eater at all.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Okay thanks for the input. Gotten the moss hut (java moss) thats the only type of hut they sell haha.

One more question do I need to get a algae eater? Like Otto or the golden algae eater? I find otto a rather weak fish, have good experience with golden algae eater but they may be too big :/. Was thinking of not having a algae eater at all.
    first wait and see if u need it.

dont be like me, i buy 3 algae eaters. all 3 died. reason: theres no algae growing in my tank.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Country
    Singapore

I presume your dad's office is air conditioned. It is very good for moss and pelia.

You need only some liquid fertilizer, light and 30% weekly water change.

Hi,
    I think weekly water change and fert is out- he would be too busy to do it. Most Prob just top up of water. hence need hardy plants and fishes!

haha thanks ( alr gotten the moss hut and nana- going to try scaping tmr).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast