Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Checking CO2 level

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    How do u know whether u are overdosing CO2 in your tank. Watch your Amano shrimp as observed by the Japanese master of aquascaping himself. If the tank is well oxygenated, the shrimps are very active and their little legs move very quickly, this indicates the animals are in good health. If CO2 goes up and O2 reduces, the little legs slow down. So guys, if u have a densely planted tank like mine, to cut down on excess CO2, The master himself suggested using air stone aeration for a few hours overnight.
    Another reason for this aeration is to help the nitrifying bacteria in our filters. The bacteria need high level of O2 at night, excess CO2 will kill them reducing the filters' efficiency and causes outbreak of blue green algae.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/16/2002 11:00:06 PM

Another reason for this aeration is to help the nitrifying bacteria in our filters. The bacteria need high level of O2 at night, excess CO2 will kill them reducing the filters' efficiency and causes outbreak of blue green algae.
    ----------------
    this one i'm dunno
    nitrifying bacteria need high o2 at all times, that's a given
    what i cannot say for sure is the excess co2 killing them off

the part which i have a particular gripe with is the bga
    no one can say for sure what causes bga
    and definitely there're filterless tanks without bga
    amano himself seems to come up with anecdotal rules of thumb
    if you're quoting him, i think you should do it verbatim, because it sounds like he's putting it down, BOOM, no argument brooked, etc etc

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    DEA, I'm not saying his words are laws which we should follow. I'm putting forward his ideas and observations which he accumulated over years of aquascaping. Its up to u to think whether his comments are applicable to our conditions here.
    The main aim behind putting up this short article is to stir up some interest into whats happening behind a nicely planted tank. I'm sure hobbyists want to know what make their tanks work and whats not.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/16/2002 11:00:06 PM

How do u know whether u are overdosing CO2 in your tank.
    ----------------
    From the kH-pH-CO2 formula?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yes wks, i noe, but the way he puts it foward is as an opinion
    you rephrased it like a fact backed by experiments

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    DEA, thats my style of writing. If u find it offensive, that can't be help. U can ignore me.
    Anyway the members can choose to experiment if they want to. The attractive part of this hobby is that anyone can put forward an idea to make his tank better. If I think it works and would like to share the idea with others, I will write it my way, though persuasive it may seems. I would not write a neutral statement or any politically correct ones just to please a few people in this forum.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi juggler, our usual observation is to watch the fish. If the fish is gasping for air, our first reaction is to check CO2 level. In this case, the kH/CO2/pH chart is very useful. Mr Takashi Amano himself observed that the Amano shrimps are more sensitive to rising CO2 level than the fish. He used the shrimp's behaviour as a rough guide and take action to reduce CO2 before the gas affects the fish.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/17/2002 11:21:21 PM

DEA, thats my style of writing. If u find it offensive, that can't be help. U can ignore me.
    Anyway the members can choose to experiment if they want to. The attractive part of this hobby is that anyone can put forward an idea to make his tank better. If I think it works and would like to share the idea with others, I will write it my way, though persuasive it may seems. I would not write a neutral statement or any politically correct ones just to please a few people in this forum.
    ----------------
    *shrug*
    i'm fine