Images
    Country
    Singapore

Nano Scape (DSM)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My first attempt with Aquascaping, a Nano one.
    An experiment and maybe an "art" piece for my living room.
    If I can maintain the water temperature around 26 degree Celsius, I may want to try keeping shrimp. Will see how at a later stage.
    I will be documenting the progress here and with lots of photos.

To help the plant establish, for the start I am using a 11W 6500K PL lamp and photo duration will be 10 hours a day using timer. Tank is sealed air tight with good quality cling fling(stronger & thicker) to create green house effect. I believe this is a very crucial step where CO2 should not be allowed to leak out at all.

List of things in this set up
    1. 10 Liter Tank (20 x 20 x 25 cm)
    2. GEX Soil - For shrimp and plants
    3. Unbranded Black Sand
    4. ADA Kurokinryu Stone
    5. ANS Planting Tweezer
    6. Hemianthus Callitrichoides (Cuba) - HC
    7. Cryptocoryne Retrospiralis
    8. Hemianthus Micranthemoides (Pearl Grass) - To be planted at the background before filling up
    9. Christmas Moss - To be added after filling up to the left front

Any advice or suggestion are welcome.

Look and feel of tank with LED lamp

Ready for planting

Substrates and stone positioning done

Planting done

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Nano Scape (DSM)

Need some advice from the experts on some question that just came to my mind.

After I had filled the tank in 4 - 8 weeks time, do I need to dose fertilizer like Seachem Flourish and Flourish Excel or NPK other than CO2 since I am using GEX soil?

If I am not injecting CO2, will dosing Excel alone works?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

bro, you can try to lift the front of the tank a bit so the the water will not be stagnant at the front. add a book or what to evaluate under the front of the tank.

for planted tanks, its better to dose drips of liquid fertilizers for better growth for them. a bottle of excel will last you very long time if you drip 1-2 drop every alternate days.

just me 1/2 cent of idea
    CRS - CRazy about Shrimps
    - Alan Phang -

You can't explain it simply, you don't understand it (well enough )..." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Good idea! I was worried that the HC that are submerged melting away. I already got Excel for my 2FT and that is already lasting very long. I uses syringe to dose, so will do the exact maths for the Nano. Excel is for carbon but what about the micro nutrients like Flourish? I understand that planting soil nutrients will last for 6 - 12 months so do i dose the micro and macro nutrients only after that or i can start dosing it when I flood the tank? I don't want too much nutrients and ended up with algae bloom.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Update on the green house gases.
    Seems like everything are properly sealed in.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Lifted the front of the tank up as suggested by Alan, I think I got too much water in it already.
    Let's leave it for now as I don't want to break the seal.

Some photo updates on Day 01.
    Not much difference, just playing around with my phone camera.
    Sorry for the blur images as there are a lot of condensation on the inside of the glass.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Jeff, the setup is looking good and will turn out to be a pleasing one .

I agree with eviltrain that the water level is a little high but easily corrected and I would not be concerned about a seal that's too tight/air proof, unless the moisture level within the tank is deliberately kept very low.
    I have some thoughts on this, that is we live in temperate climate with pretty constant parameters, and some of the effects of the greenhouse gases is to maintain high humidity while maintaining higher temperature due to the trapped infrared rays - also caused by other processes like biological breakdown of organic matter. I have noticed a tight seal helps in a rather 'dry' setup but in a wetter setup, promotes white fungus and also melting/decomposition of leaves/roots that are too wet which happens very quickly, 1-2 days max.

In any case, do keep us updated! I am looking forward to your carpet growing lush.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I was hopping to seal everything in especially the CO2 and not let anything like the fungus spores fly in. Will draw some of the water out tonight just in case. Thanks Alvin, was following your thread and yours looks great. Mine is only 1% of what you have

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I have a strip of black sand at the front which I intend to keep for the Cory or Shrimp to play on. Is it necessary to put some small stones at the line to separate the soil and sand to prevent the HC from growing into it. Will the HC even grow into the sand only area in the first place? Any advice from the experts?

If necessary, what kind and size of stones should I put which will not break the whole scape? Where can I get it? Oops so many question again. Sorry folks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Removed the excess water at the front and level back the tank. No HC leafs in under water and looks good for now. Now melting so far.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Oops, just noticed a typo. It should be no melting of HC so far.

Happy Lunar New Year! Huat AH!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

OK, finally some melting after exactly 1 week. So do I remove the melted part or leave it for now?
    The melting is very minimal only.

As these few days are getting warmer again, i noticed that the internal temperature in around 29-30 degree Celsius when the lights are on. Is there any concern here?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hey Alvin, I just saw your 1.5 Gallon Nano that you set up in 2009 and can't help to noticed that my sep is similar to yours. :P I swear I did not copy yours. I think we all Singaporean have this grass scene idea. Haha...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jeffteo View Post
    Hey Alvin, I just saw your 1.5 Gallon Nano that you set up in 2009 and can't help to noticed that my sep is similar to yours. :P I swear I did not copy yours. I think we all Singaporean have this grass scene idea. Haha...
    Haha,.. I think we are all constrained by the lack of space in a nano tank, definitely not copying but there's a lack of options especially when using rock(s). The nano tank was a good learning step for me I still have another nano which is housing slow growing plants, but also aims to have HC as a foreground carpet

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Bro, im growing HC emersed as well / Dry Start Method. As long as there is enough light and humidity remains high, the HC will start throwing out runners soon. But i notice a big difference between fertilized soil and non-fertilized soil culture. The tank that has root monster mixed into the substrate is growing alot faster and have bigger greener leaves. The other one is yellowish green and slow growth. There will be some melting but will not be a big issue. Just normal growth process. Good luck with your set-up. Remember to post updates.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks Kiatster, so I suppose I will have to leave it alone right? Since there is no live stock, I do not have to worry about ammonia/nitrite spike from the melting/rotting also.

Next month I will be away 3 weeks for overseas ICT and am still pondering if I should fill the tank at the end of the Feb before I go or wait till I come back then flood it. If I flood it before I go, by the time I am back the tank should be cycled but that will means no one to take care of it and there may be an algae outbreak. Definitely I am not going to introduce any live stock till I am back. Any suggestions?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Finally decided to get the CAL Aqua Labs Nano CO2 checker after some hesitation.

Anyone know if dosing Seachem Flourish Excel will affect the reading of the CO2 checker?

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Your effort will wasted on planting HC and using DSM! Why? Your cory will have fun with them.

I have a strip of black sand at the front which I intend to keep for the Cory or Shrimp to play on. Is it necessary to put some small stones at the line to separate the soil and sand to prevent the HC from growing into it. Will the HC even grow into the sand only area in the first place? Any advice from the experts?

If necessary, what kind and size of stones should I put which will not break the whole scape? Where can I get it? Oops so many question again. Sorry folks.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Lots of time when the indicator tells you the light yellow is over dose but actually it is just nice only, it still depends on your plant mass etc and flow rate does affect the circulation of CO2 also.

Finally decided to get the CAL Aqua Labs Nano CO2 checker after some hesitation.

Anyone know if dosing Seachem Flourish Excel will affect the reading of the CO2 checker?

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

jeff, Seachem Excel will not affect the reading of the CO2 drop checker as the plant-usable carbon in Excel is not in gaseous form and unable to react with the solution in the air exchange chamber of the drop checker. A drop checker in an Excel-only tank without CO2 supplement will probably show dark blue all the time.

The Cal Aqua Labs drop checker looks awesome.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast