Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: What is murdering my sakura shrimps slowly one by one?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

What is murdering my sakura shrimps slowly one by one?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    anybody has experience with fire red sakura shrimps dropping slowly one by one? this seems to be happening to mine, especially with those which are pregnant. i cannot pin-point the problem, and it sucks because i see alot of pregnant shrimp but it has been a long time since i have seen shrimp fry live past a few days.

my 1.5 feet tank is pretty established, running on a eheim 2211 with sponge pads and biohome for a long long time.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: What is murdering my sakura shrimps slowly one by one?

Hi Xianghao, do you test your water parameter? I have 1.5 feet tank and occasionally still have some shrimp die but not one by one. Do you perform water change?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

IMHO there are 2 possible causes:
    1) You have a dragonfly or damselfly larvae in your tank which are vicious predators. They would account for the slow killing of your shrimp but wouldn't necessarily target only pregnant shrimp unless you believe the pregnant ones are the slowest and therefore easiest to catch.

If this is true, then you need to consider if you can search through the flora in your tank to try and scare out any such predator. There are other forum threads with pictures of what they would look like. Tell tale signs would include your shrimp exhibiting signs of fear? Constantly hiding, not openly foraging for food, etc. . .

2) You might not be feeding the tank enough minerals for pregnant mothers to keep themselves sufficiently nourished to maintain their own shell as well feed the necessary nutrients to the eggs. Basically, they are dying because of malnutrition.

If this is true then increasing the amount of food given to the shrimp to keep them well fed should solve the problem. Signs of this might include the shells of your shrimp looking thin or the colors seeming to be weak.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My CRS was constantly berried not a single baby too.
    I just checked my water PH and found out my tank with ADA soil was PH 4.9.
    Changed 30% water with tap water of PH 8 and added a lot of coral rocks.
    PH only recovered to 5.3.

What should I do?
    I have another sulawesi tank with sand and coral rock, PH is 7.9.
    I believe is the cause of ADA soil.
    Do anyone with ADA soil encounter the same problem?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

this tank i never tested the water parameters except temperature because i thought sakuras are much more 'easy going'. i use gex soil and weekly minor water change so i assume parameters should be alright. i'm not talking about something that is murdering my shrimps per se, and my tank lay out is pretty open so i don't think a damselfly nymph could be lurking somewhere, but its just that i dunno what is the reason behind my shrimps dying slowly one by one. and i right to say that if it was a major water parameters problem my shrimp would be dying more frequently than slowly one by one?

perhaps the reason of malnutrition is more plausible, but in that case, how do i improve the situation? more food? more supplements? what kind of? any suggestions?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How many days have it been since you added the coral chips? Coral chips do not work immediately. You will have to wait a few days for the pH level to increase.