Country
    Singapore

Test Kits

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi to all,

My CRS and Snowballs are kinda dying off slowly, which I don't know why.
    What kind of test kits do I need, for the water, for my tank that doesn't have CO2?

Thanks in advance.
    Jo

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Test Kits

you might want to give more information such as how old is the setup? what do you dose into the tank? shrimps population?
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    you might want to give more information such as how old is the setup? what do you dose into the tank? shrimps population?
    Hey Robert,

It's about 3 months old and I don't dose anything into it except mineral and baterial max after water change.
    Less then 20 shrimps in there, Moslty couple of months old snowballs.
    I have the picture of my tank in the Gallery.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

sound like quite established setup. Is your plant growth OK? because if plants dying it may cause ammonia spike.

You can try to get ammonia test kit to test your ammonia level, it normally zero when your plant grow healthyly
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    sound like quite established setup. Is your plant growth OK? because if plants dying it may cause ammonia spike.

You can try to get ammonia test kit to test your ammonia level, it normally zero when your plant grow healthyly

Ah ha..... Thanks for the tip.
    But is there like a test kit that are good for all? Too many bottle sitting around the place already :P

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Jo77, I have been using JBL 5in1 test kit for a month or so but somehow rather I felt that it is not accurate enough. I then bought a individual test kit set and tested, like what I had initially thought, the result differ some 20-30%. Don't quote me but I would suggest using individual test kits. Mizuworld offers a set in a toolbox so check it out if you are interested.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

API test kit will be a good brand too. Don't waste your money on test strips. Liquid drop test kit are more accurate.
    Ammonia, Nitrite and pH levels are the first 3 things you should always check first when you suspect there is problem with the water.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Test is not 100% reliable! I ever read from Tropical Fish the same story the fish in tank passed away with water quality tested Okay.
    Ammonia test is not available in some LFS. I'd ever bought one dusted Easy Test from one shop's store room, it showed me ammonia in my tank all the way 0. I didn't realize something wrong until i tested my pee (don't laugh).

Just some of my points:
    1) Heavy metal, especially copper, is extreme harmful to the shrimp.
    a)Had you taken salt bath before new plants introduced? The plants especially packed in dry plastic bag may contains harmful chemicals since they never planted in water and dosed heavily for good appearance by farmers.
    b)Are your ferts safe?
    2) If the shrimp/fish died at night, you may check whether you get enough oxygen night through.
    3) Make sure your food supplied is fresh enough.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jeffteo View Post
    API test kit will be a good brand too. Don't waste your money on test strips. Liquid drop test kit are more accurate.
    Ammonia, Nitrite and pH levels are the first 3 things you should always check first when you suspect there is problem with the water.
    Jeffrey,

Thank you very much for your tips. Just right for what I'm chasing after

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You are welcome. Just sharing what I know.
    Do you have carbon in your filter? To play safe, add carbon to absorb the heavy metal first. Stop any dosing of anything during this period especially the mineral as it will be wasted. Observer if it gets better and once everything is stable then remove the carbon. Slowly start the dosing 1 by 1 in a week apart to test if it is affecting the CRS.

Other things that people will check are General Hardness (GH) and Carbonate Hardness (KH) especially shrimps and snails keepers.
    Some other things like phosphate, calcium, iron & copper are also check but I don't think these are not really necessary especially for FW tank or if you are keeping very very expensive fish.

Just to share what I have and testing regime.
    Test kit I have are Ammonia, Nitrite, NitrAte, GH, KH & pH test.

Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate are test only during tank cycling and when I feel like it or suspect anything, if not I rarely use them.
    Before I have a planted tank, i check Nitrate now and then to determine when I need to change water.
    Now I seldom test it as I am doing EI dosing and change water every week. And ever since I added frogbits, NitrAte test will be zero so I don't test it anymore.
    GH very rare. KH is when I feel like it as my tank pH is very stable. Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jeffteo View Post
    You are welcome. Just sharing what I know.
    Do you have carbon in your filter? To play safe, add carbon to absorb the heavy metal first. Stop any dosing of anything during this period especially the mineral as it will be wasted. Observer if it gets better and once everything is stable then remove the carbon. Slowly start the dosing 1 by 1 in a week apart to test if it is affecting the CRS.

Other things that people will check are General Hardness (GH) and Carbonate Hardness (KH) especially shrimps and snails keepers.
    Some other things like phosphate, calcium, iron & copper are also check but I don't think these are not really necessary especially for FW tank or if you are keeping very very expensive fish.

Just to share what I have and testing regime.
    Test kit I have are Ammonia, Nitrite, NitrAte, GH, KH & pH test.

Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate are test only during tank cycling and when I feel like it or suspect anything, if not I rarely use them.
    Before I have a planted tank, i check Nitrate now and then to determine when I need to change water.
    Now I seldom test it as I am doing EI dosing and change water every week. And ever since I added frogbits, NitrAte test will be zero so I don't test it anymore.
    GH very rare. KH is when I feel like it as my tank pH is very stable. Hope this helps.
    Jeffrey,

Cheem.... But this is sure very informative. I'll try to digest them slowly.

Cheers,
    Jo