Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: German Blue Ram Pics . . any suggestions ?

Feedback Score

German Blue Ram Pics . . any suggestions ?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Here are a few pictures of my rams. These are my best shots so far.

Canon PowerShot A300
    ISO 400
    Small(640x480)Resoultion
    SuperFine Compression Setting
    No Flash
    Macro Mode
    Auto Whitebalance
    Manual Focus

http://www.freewebs.com/dc02/102_0216.JPG
    http://www.freewebs.com/dc02/102_0217.JPG
    http://www.freewebs.com/dc02/102_0218.JPG
    http://www.freewebs.com/dc02/102_0221.JPG
    http://www.freewebs.com/dc02/102_0236.JPG

Please feel free to criticize and give me some suggestions, this is only my 4th day with this new camera so i have a lot to learn. Thanks.

- depthC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 9/17/2003 7:14:46 AM

Please feel free to criticize and give me some suggestions, this is only my 4th day with this new camera so i have a lot to learn. Thanks.

- depthC
    ----------------

For someone who has only played with the camera for 4 days, I think the results are pretty good.

Taking pictures of the front profile of the fish is very challenging. This is usually problematic as it's very hard to get a respectable portion of the body to be in focus.

In the case above, the point of sharpness extends forward and backwards from back of the dorsal fins, but not enough to get the eyes and mouth in focus. Also, fishes tends to move forwards and backwards. So a side profile will have a slightly higher chance of the picture being still in focus if the fish should move.

Also, try shooting at a higher resolution instead of 640 X 480. This will give you a bit of freedom to crop the picture and "move" closer to the subject via post photography editing. And avoid super fine compression to try to squeeze more space on your memory card. The picture quality will suffer from the compression.

Hope to see some more of your pictures!

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Looks nice, think it could do with a little more 'warmth' in the picture. Maybe it's the A300 but also can see some significant noise in the picture too. Try a higher resolution like Benny suggested. Also, decrease your ISO to about ISO50 for less noise.

For both pictures, the background is not so good, distracting. Hence the fish does not really stand out as it should.

A 7 out of 10.
    Visit Spilopterus' Tank
    Fish of Fury

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    can you adjust apeture size on your camera too ?

the pictures look ok to me since you mentioned you just started taking pictures of your fish.

perhaps for this period you can focus (no pun haha) on taking sharp pictures of your fish first.
    panning (moving with the fish) will come in useful too. If manual focusing is difficult, you can try to focus on the fish's eye and lock the focus (1/2 press) and move your camera with the fish. however this will not work if the fish retreats further away from you too much. you really have to experiment quite a bit yourself to make the most out of your camera.

you can think about improving your pictures later on

Feedback Score
    Nice try, the DOF can be improved though.

Feedback Score
    Alright Ill try a ISO 50, and a bigger size. But i dont have a way of making the image smaller since i dont have photoshop or anything besides mspaint. Also wouldnt superfine be the best resolution?

- depthC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 9/18/2003 6:30:28 AM

Also wouldnt superfine be the best resolution?

- depthC
    ----------------
    Hi depthC,

I think you should experiment with the diferent ISO setting. The higher the setting (eg. 400) the more evident the grain. However, with certain background and subjects, it may well be very acceptable. Find a balance.

As for the "super fine" issue, you may have confused resolution with compression. The higher the compression, the more noise/pixelation you will get in the picture, but the file size is also smaller. This means that a 600 X 480 pixel picture can be between 25K to 250K, depending on your choice of compression. The larger the file size, the more information it contains, the less pixelated it will be come. Resolution on the other hand, is normally associated with the pixel count, meaning that 1600 X 1200 is higher resolution that 640 X 480 pixel.

Keep shooting to improve and practice with stationary subjects (like rocks or wood) for a state. Enjoy!!

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?