Images
    Country
    Singapore

Moss Tank Setup Question

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I will be setting up a 2ft(L) x 1ft (w) x 1.5ft (h) tank with only mosses with maybe 2 to 3 endlers to swim in the tank to prevent mosquito.

Lighting would be 2x 18w T8 tube. Lapis sand only and will be injecting CO2 as well.
    I would like to check of the following.

1) would an internal powerhead filter / Hang on back be good enough? since there will be minimal bioload?
    2) Do I still need to meet the 3x volume flow rate requirement?

Please advise and thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Moss Tank Setup Question

anyone can advise?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi bro. Am new too but from the setup you plan looks fine. The lighting is good enough for most moss. However if you are injecting co2, hang on back filter is not reccommended. As there is too much surface agitation, do find an internal filter (can't advice on the turn over rate, not too sure). Also what is your ambient and water temperature like? Do add a fan to cool the water, as moss grow better under 28c. You might also want to dose some liquid fertilizer since you are using lapis sand. Hope it helps.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks whq, Thanks for the reply

I do have a ehiem 2228 canister filter, but I find that it might be too wasteful to use it on a 2ft moss tank.
    I'll be adding a DIY 80mm CPU fan to bring the temp down. I've also read that moss need clean water but I want to make sure if internal filter will do make it and at what turn over rate.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Oink, I think it'll be wasteful too to use a 2228 on this 2ft moss tank. If I'm not wrong, there's no need for co2 injection for moss. Just provide clean water and enough light and they will strive in your tank. Just what i think.
    Victory loves preparation

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi benedetto13,

Yes, it will be wasteful to use a 2228 As for CO2, it is to promote fast growth. Right now I'm still confuse at what turn over rate filter is required formy setup.

By the way, temp without fan is hovering between 29 an 30degree C. With the fan, I think it should be around 27 to 28 degree C I hope that will be ideal for most moss.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just for a reference for you, I am using eheim 2032 for my 1.5ft cube (~100l). I should have around 400-500l/hr, because the inlet is to a undergravel filter and outlet to a chiller then to a rainbar. I feel the flow is just right (no hurricane and with good circulation). So based on this 300l/hr should be fine for you.