Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Anyone Can Explain Why Cardinal Tetra swim vertically upright and subsequently die?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Anyone Can Explain Why Cardinal Tetra swim vertically upright and subsequently die?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi All

I need an explantion as to why my cardinal tetra die one after another. Symptom before they die is they swim vertically to the surface of the water, and they seem can't balanced. The are time when they swim upside down. Then subsequently they sink to the bottom and "dying" there, will float when they are dead. What cause them to die? It seem that the "dying" is spreadable to the rest of the fish.

Anyone can assist to my enquiry?

Regards
    Koala1971

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Anyone Can Explain Why Cardinal Tetra swim vertically upright and subsequently di

Is your tank a new setup - too much ammonia? A planted tank - too low O2? There are 2 of the many explanations available.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Anyone Can Explain Why Cardinal Tetra swim vertically upright and subsequently di

add-on:
    Chlorine - will cause Cardinal tetra to behave like this...this happen when change of water w/o anti-chlorine.
    Sudden change of PH - happens when change huge amt of water
    Sudden Change of Temperature - happens when change huge amt of water
    IMHO

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I suspect it might be a last attempt to escape from the tank, but they can't, so they died. I think there's something wrong with your water parameters, might be high ammonia.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I agree with silentmorning's first point. Seems like a classic case of chlorine poisoning. Ive had the same thing happen to my tetras once and the issue was rectified after the addition of anti-chlorine.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi

I bought a bottle of water stabilizer from the petshop, if this also equal to antichlorine?

Regard

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

does it specify that it is for anti-chlorine?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The Water stabilizer only states that it stabilize the water for the fish and that it will remove harmful metal material from the water. Nothing touch on chlorine.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

thts rite...n i think u knows wht is means.....
    better buy those all in one type which is anti-chlorine+ neutralise ammonia/ nitrites and heavy metal + replenishes protectives slime coats type...
    Eg.. ultimate Coat from Pet Fran or Tension Gon from Mydilab (which i both currently using...)
    MHO

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Had the same experience too.. Most probably is too many new fishes at 1 go and the tank can't cope. It's really depressing

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Bros,

After my 1st batch of cardinal tetra (50) dies overnight, I have bought another batch of neon tetra (50) this times, and along with them, 10 male guppies and 10 zebra tetra. But the larger size zebra tetra keep on bitting the tail of the guppies and chasing after them. Even the male guppies attrack one another as well. So in the end, the guppies are the first to "go up the car". Eventually I give away the entire batch of zebra tetra and leaving one male guppy. Last week, I bought 4 neon glow tetra and 4 neon black tetra and 1 female guppy. BTW, my tank size is 2 ft, hope not so congestion for them.

They are living good so far and I try not to overfeed them (restrict 2 meals a day the most) and change mininal water 10% once a week. Also bought the anti-chlorine and put the new water overnight to settle any heavy metal or chlorine.

So far they are surviving good and hope they can get along well.

Cheer.

Feedback Score
    Country
    American Samoa

It seems that they can not breathe, which may because the water you fill into the tank that contains some chemicals, which takes off the oxygen. Or the Algen algae take much of the oxygen from the water, or the bugs might eat up all the available oxygen