Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Chocolate gouramis

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Chocolate gouramis (in my avartar)..Been keeping a lookout for this very elusive fish for quite some time now, but still cant find it. Visited Lam Hong at AMK last wkend (used to find them there), but didnt see any in their tanks. Any bros and sis out there know where can find?

Also if anyone happen to be kepping them successfully do share with me yah?

Thannks alot
    Phil

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    apart from Lam Hong which stocks them fairly regularly (you should call in advance to check), I have only seen chocos at Red Sea Aquarium (the one downtown at Peace Centre).

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There's a few variant of this fish around. I usually see them at Tiong Bahru. Occasionally, Choong Sua Aquarium at Bukit Timah also has them. Variant vallanti was recently seen at quite a few places, including Lorong Harlus.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    some lfs are now stocking Sphaericthys vaillanti, the Samurai Chocolate Gourami. Costs a bomb though, this beauty.

There is also S. osphromenoides selatanensis, which is very similar to the chocolate gourami, but has a more pointerd head and more vertical striping on the flank.

The rare S. acrostoma is the Giant Chocolate Gourami, which simply means it gets somewhat larger than its close relatives, at about 9 cm.

There are also the "chocolate gouramis" from Myanmar: Paraspharichtys ocellatus and P. sp. The former looks like a miniature (1.5 inch) and chubby three-spot gourami, but at night and when stressed, the colour changes into the chocolate gourami marbled pattern. P. sp. is even smaller (liquorice gourami size) and illusive.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey guys tanks 4 the prompt replies..
    didnt know we can get so many varieties even locally...
    ehee.. but i guess they will cost much more than the "normal" choco (sphaerichthys osphromenoides) im toking abt? tink i got them oni $1 each long time ago. hee..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi guys,

Some pictures....

Sphaericthys vaillanti, the Samurai Chocolate Gourami

Sphaerichthys osphromenoides

Paraspharichtys sp., burmese chocolate gourami

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    samurai have markings similar to paradisefish ...nice but looks very fragile...i reckon the whole lot are notoriously difficult fishes?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Kind of agree 'bout the fragility. Few weeks ago I caught 4 juveniles (? spp) from a swamp near Kuala Terengganu - an inch long. I brought back together with some Betta pi and B maculatus. All 4 died by the time I reached home. It was only 1/2 hour drive. Other fishes are still OK. By the ways, saw S vaillanti in Aquatic International, KL. RM 24 each!! Expensive... B brigittae and B maculatus cost only RM 1 per fish.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    vaillanti is easier to keep compare to normal chocolate gouramy.

especially for chocolate gouramy, the key point to keep them successfully is to buy the fish's "condition". don't waste money on the unhealthy fish in the LFS.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    benny, i think your P. sp is actually P. ocellatus. P sp is smaller, displays more variegated patterning and has a pointier snout. But both are very nice...

If the vallianti is supposed to be hardier, I am tempted to give them a shot.... I find that for regular chocolates, some will die on you within a week or two - the survivors are quite hardy though.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    For those interested proabably you can come down to our place Location : Pasir ris Fish Farmway 2

Direction:

Step 1
    when you start touring the place you will definitely pass by the 1st fish shop which sells Tibit and snacks.

Step 2
    In that Particular area there are 4 blue roofed shop houses
    -Go- to the toliets which are located right at the back

Step 3
    while moving towards the toliet,you will need to turn right
    and you will see us upon turn right

Step 4
    Happy Looking
    btw always Keep an eye on each and every single tanks there could be surprising discovery.Which might interest you!

We Places a couple of our Sphaerichthys vaillanti in their Natural Biotope artificially create by us.Natural Black water from diftwood and Nice clear cooling water under air-condition.

We Open From
    11am - 7.30pm (Mon-Thur and Sunday)
    11am - 8.30pm (Fri and Sat)

For convenience
    We Choose and Deliver fishes to Tampines Interchange/MRT
    We Guarantee the fishes will be of good quaity and condition
    upon delivery.
    No Delivery Charge or Xtra charges
    Purely Customer Service

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Nannostomuss,

Is the chocolate gourami in stock? How much is a pair(male and female)? Any red pencil coral fish?

Went to ah hock but could not find it 2 weeks ago.

If possible, pls PM me the price.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    mdmbudak,

the proprietor has kindly given his number to facilitate your communication with him. Why not use that instead? Few people, other than full-time goofers like myself, are on-line 24/7.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, Cactus. U can try Choa Chu Kang's Aquarium Tropica. They stock on the Sphaerichthys selatenensis/ osphronemoides (dunno which) thrice this year already for $1-$1.20 each. N they had e 3rd batch last month. Too bad now dun haf anymore. Muz wait.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks bro... but where is the exact location of the shop? didnt find it in the LFS list here. hmm.. thrice a yr? means i still gotta wait awhile more lor. u havin any success keeping them?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The shop is just beside the Choa Chu Kang interchange. You would have to walk a couple of minutes from the MRT through the bus interchange till you arrive at the place where the bus drivers have their meals (their common canteen). Exit the interchange at that point. And you should see an aquarium shop across the road. The built up areas behind the row of shophouses the LFS is located in are known for domestic quarrel and murder that have been publicised in Xing Ming Ri Bao. Interesting, ain't it? hahax.
    >>Unfortunately, I don't have the time and skills needed to take care of Chocolate gouramis; they can be difficult to maintain. So I settled for a Honey gourami and a Croaking Gourami (i got one with a personality!). Tropica also sells beautiful veiltail angelfish [:0] and good-quality tetras. I got my Pygmy rasboras from there too. Unfortunately, it doesn't sell Killifish...
    >>There are no Chocolate gouramis now though. You just got a wait a few months before these beauties come in. Bye!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh that lfs!!! I happen to b there last tues leh..was loitering ard the area.. ive always popped by once every few mths there..but never saw any chocs b4 man...
    but they've got a nice planted tank for display there..thanks man!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh, I have observed that their chocolate gourami stocks are exhausted in a few days after arrival. Very fast one.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Haiz......dear potential Customers pls kindly call me la.
    Dont be shy lor.Buy or dun buy ask ask onli No problem i dun mind at all but if you called too many times i will get pissed off cos my hp bill will be hikIMG.
    ENQUIRES 98301423 (CALLING AVALIABLE AFTER 7PM)

JUST 2 TELL YOU GUYS WE ARE NOT ADVANCE PROFESSIONAL BUT WE WILL LEARN FROM YOU AND PASS ALL KNOWLEDGE TO NEWBIES.

---"REMAKING SINGAPORE" CAPTIAL FOR EXOTIC FISHY---

FOR SINGAPORE,CHEERS

[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 10/7/2003 1:12:56 AM

Haiz......dear potential Customers pls kindly call me la.
    Dont be shy lor.Buy or dun buy ask ask onli No problem i dun mind at all but if you called too many times i will get pissed off cos my hp bill will be hikIMG.
    ENQUIRES 98301423 (CALLING AVALIABLE AFTER 7PM)

JUST 2 TELL YOU GUYS WE ARE NOT ADVANCE PROFESSIONAL BUT WE WILL LEARN FROM YOU AND PASS ALL KNOWLEDGE TO NEWBIES.

---"REMAKING SINGAPORE" CAPTIAL FOR EXOTIC FISHY---

FOR SINGAPORE,CHEERS

[]
    ----------------
    Dear Sir/Madam,
    Since you're not an ADVANCE PROFESSIONAL, I would gently advise that sales pitch like this should be conducted in the Buy, Sell & Trade section. Thank you for your cooperation.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast