Country
    Singapore

Danio dangila pictures

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

Was trying to photograph the Danio dangila. But this fella is really fast. When the pre-flash goes off, he darts in the other direction. Loads of wasted shots and used batteries (for the flash).

This is one of my favorite, but too bad there another fish in the background. I suppose you win some and lose some.

This is the standard profile shot that I manage to get, but the lighting nearer to the caudal fins could have been more ideal. To solve the problem of the fish turning everytime I meter and fire away, I depress the shutte halfway and wait. Once the fish is in place, I press the shutter fully.

Sigh...much easier to photograph corydoras.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 10/1/2003 11:11:28 AM

This is one of my favorite, but too bad there another fish in the background. I suppose you win some and lose some.
    ----------------
    Actually I find this an interesting shot. It has a dancing rhythm between this 2 fishes. Look at their movement, one is flowing up and the other flowing down, creating a very interesting criss-cross pattern. If the fish behind is stronger in it's appearance, they make a perfect match and creative composition.

Quite some photos taken by National Geographic photographers uses this interesting composition in the wilderness. Usually, photographers there don't work only for few hours with such shot. They research their subject very well, get to know their behaviour and habits, then they start taking it. When they take, it might take them several months to complete the whole process.

Patience and good anticipation is what those photographers has. Thus making their works of award winning standard.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Shooting photograph is just like hunting.... both requires markmanship..

Very nice pictures here.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    benny, looks like you haven't invested enough time to get the colours out huh? looks kind of washed, would have been great had it the intensity of my D. choprai (the one with great colours but lousy pose).

btw your S. vaillanti pics very fantastic

ps: where did you get this fish? wild?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 10/1/2003 12:08:23 PM

benny, looks like you haven't invested enough time to get the colours out huh? looks kind of washed, would have been great had it the intensity of my D. choprai (the one with great colours but lousy pose).

btw your S. vaillanti pics very fantastic

ps: where did you get this fish? wild?
    ----------------

Did the usual color correction to compensate for the 7000 K PL light. This is the natural coloration of the fish. Kind of muted. Fish was taken at Mr. Tree's house. I think it was purchased from Choong Sua Aquarium.

I got loads of S. vaillanti pictures waiting to be processed. They are such good photography subjects.

Here's a radical "fish portrait" utilizing twin top flash to achieve a "rim light" effect on the side. Classical portraiture lighting techniques commonly found in any photography books.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    mmm… will be even better if you get the subject to look into the cam and have some catch light huh?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 10/1/2003 1:45:58 PM

will be even better if you get the subject to look into the cam and have some catch light huh?
    ----------------

Cannot lah. Fish looking directly into the camera usually don't make interesting pictures. Too thin looking or too symetrical. Too strange for my liking and composition is a challenge. Personally, 45 degrees tilt is the best.

Here's an example of a Black Zambian Calvus looking directly into the camera. Too much space around the fish.

There's a bit of catchlight in the gourami's eye if you look carefully. Portraiture without catchlight in the eyes always seems to be lacking in something.

My only gripe with the gourami picture is that the mouth isn't exactly sharp. Doesn't really ruin the picture as attention is invariably drawn towards the eyes, but certainly could improve with a sharper mouth.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i would like to see something between the last pic and the 2nd last pic

go up close and crop boldly

Just get to know this new section in the forum. Always like the pics taken by benny...
    Best moment for shot is when they are mating, it'll flare and show it's best colour.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 10/13/2003 11:28:41 AM

Just get to know this new section in the forum. Always like the pics taken by benny...
    Best moment for shot is when they are mating, it'll flare and show it's best colour.
    ----------------
    you voyeur you! [] [] []

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 10/1/2003 1:55:57 PM

----------------
    On 10/1/2003 1:45:58 PM

will be even better if you get the subject to look into the cam and have some catch light huh?
    ----------------

Cannot lah. Fish looking directly into the camera usually don't make interesting pictures. Too thin looking or too symetrical. Too strange for my liking and composition is a challenge. Personally, 45 degrees tilt is the best.

Here's an example of a Black Zambian Calvus looking directly into the camera. Too much space around the fish.

There's a bit of catchlight in the gourami's eye if you look carefully. Portraiture without catchlight in the eyes always seems to be lacking in something.

My only gripe with the gourami picture is that the mouth isn't exactly sharp. Doesn't really ruin the picture as attention is invariably drawn towards the eyes, but certainly could improve with a sharper mouth.

Cheers,
    ----------------
    would have been nice if you can zoom in on the teeth with shallow DOF (depth of field) for effects.