Images
    Country
    Singapore

Modify Hailea 500A sensor to external

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Long weekend, my itchy hands called me to have a try.

Many compliants of China made chiller's (Hailea/Resun) stupid internal temperature design which lead to chiller kick in/out frequently, I decided to dig its sensor out from the water reservoir into the tank.

Okay, here is the steps:

1) Open the chiller front panel. Totally 9 screw need to remove (left 3 + right 3 + top 1 + bottom 1 + left bottom 1).
    Chiller inside is quite neat look----recall me the ice cream chiller.

2) Unplug the sensor. You may need to use a needle nose plier to pull it out slowly.
    Reminder: Need not to loosen the big white plastic screw cap.
    The sensor is stainless steel and diameter 6.1mm.

3) One challenge is to plug back the hole left.
    You will be as lucky as me if you have a M6x30 screw. Apply some silicon seal on the surface:

don't forget the white tap tape, make the dia to 6.3mm.

4) Okay, plug back. Turn on your pump to check. Myone is as solid as Singapore police. The water on photo leaked on last step.

5) Next, wire woks. It is simple. I used USB cable to extend the sensor since I were flooded by those.
    Reminder: to solder all the wire joints.

That's all. Finished. It take me 1 hour to complete.

Advantage: longer kick-off to kick-in time.

Reason: Hailea chiller with default internal sensor works in a even narrower temerature band. e.g., setting to 25C, it actually works at band of 25.4-26C. This is due to the internal sensor will sense cooler than the real.

It will work at real 25-26C with external sensor.

<Bear you own risk if you modify as above>
    Last edited by ladygaga; 9th May 2011 at 19:37.
    Rules for Aquarium
    Rule No.1: Do change the water weekly, not the fish.
    Rule No.2: Do your responsibility: take care of the water.
    Rule No.3: Do not take care of the fish. Fish will take care of themselves.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Modify Hailea 500A sensor to external

What's holding me from this mod is it will have longer kick-in time.

From the observation on the chiller's LED panel, the chiller kick-in to cool the water from 26C to 24.9C and kick-out, water temp will rise very fast to 25.5C & them slowly & gradually to 26C, which it will kick in again.

But if you have an thermometer (up to one decimal accuracy) & check it against the chiller's, you will realize that when the chiller kick-out at 24.9C, the water temp in the fish tank is only cooled to ard 25.5C. Yes, this is attributed to the 2 thermometers are reading at 2 different places.

What I am trying to say is the kick-in duration (prior to modding) is effectively cooling to the tank water from 26C to 25.5C. a 0.5C delta.
    With the mod, it will be cooling the water with a 1C delta. The kick-in will be lesser but the kick-out will take longer.

It's a chicken or egg thing.

Nevertheless, it was said that the initial kick-in will consumes higher electricity ( a spike), so this mod which reduces kick-in, reduces the number of spikes, saves a bit of electricity also.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bernie View Post
    What's holding me from this mod is it will have longer kick-in time.

From the observation on the chiller's LED panel, the chiller kick-in to cool the water from 26C to 24.9C and kick-out, water temp will rise very fast to 25.5C & them slowly & gradually to 26C, which it will kick in again.

But if you have an thermometer (up to one decimal accuracy) & check it against the chiller's, you will realize that when the chiller kick-out at 24.9C, the water temp in the fish tank is only cooled to ard 25.5C. Yes, this is attributed to the 2 thermometers are reading at 2 different places.

What I am trying to say is the kick-in duration (prior to modding) is effectively cooling to the tank water from 26C to 25.5C. a 0.5C delta.
    With the mod, it will be cooling the water with a 1C delta. The kick-in will be lesser but the kick-out will take longer.

It's a chicken or egg thing.

Nevertheless, it was said that the initial kick-in will consumes higher electricity ( a spike), so this mod which reduces kick-in, reduces the number of spikes, saves a bit of electricity also.
    Nice explanation.

The reason I do the modification is something to get first hand experience. Plants, fish, and equipments, try try and get fun.

I experienced:

1) Modification is not as difficult as I thought. It's easy and simple. Thanks to Hailea's "good" module design. Except casing, all parts are industrialized standard.

2) Extended wire, in my case, 1 meter USB cable, will cause little change of temperature probe which can be ignored for an aquarium temerature control. I estimated the extended wire cause 0.1-0.2C increment. E.g., it was sensed 25C, now will be 25.2C after mod. That means the tank will be 0.1-0.2C cooler than before.

3) At the slow water moving area in a 2ft-high tank, temperature at upper spot is 0.2-0.3C higher than lower spot. The Hailea sensor is quite sensitive, I can read the temperature jumping from the display by move the sensor up and down.

4) Both of kick in and kick out will be bonger than before. Roughly doubled. For my one, kick in times reduce to half. So longer kick in time + less kick in times, I would like assume no electricity bill change.

Hope this post can help any Hailean who want to do mod ---- Not encouraged if it's already working well (Oh, no-brainer).
    Rules for Aquarium

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

So, are you now convince that an external temperature sensor is better than a stock internal temperature sensor?
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I would say "Yes", especially to the chillers without sufficient water flow.

There's one device called flow switch used to cut off power to the chiller incase the water flow stops (such as a pump failure or during water changes), here is the link, don't know whether it's available at LFS.

I would get one if price/size/voltage is okay.
    Rules for Aquarium

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ladygaga View Post
    I would say "Yes", especially to the chillers without sufficient water flow.
    Nope, water flow issue is not a problem, you could use a low water flow rate pump ( lowest I've used for a 2ft cube is 500lt/hr ) and the water would still be chilled. The external temperature probe sensor measure temperature in real time, as in the aquarium tank water, not the water that is in the chiller water compartment. That is the main advantage and usage for an external temperature sensor. You want to have the actual water temperature reading of the tank water, not the water in the chiller water compartment.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    Nope, water flow issue is not a problem, you could use a low water flow rate pump ( lowest I've used for a 2ft cube is 500lt/hr ) and the water would still be chilled. The external temperature probe sensor measure temperature in real time, as in the aquarium tank water, not the water that is in the chiller water compartment. That is the main advantage and usage for an external temperature sensor. You want to have the actual water temperature reading of the tank water, not the water in the chiller water compartment.
    Thanks your info.

My tank fogged severely overnight in past a few weeks before and after this modification. Are any brothers the same?

Or Singapore is toooooooo hot?
    Rules for Aquarium

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

same as my tank. Must always get ready a towel to wipe the glass exterior...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have a fan switch on at the main hall, which blow slightly at the tank. It helps to prevent such wet glass from happening.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

i set one of my 5 ft at 26deg and only on a few ocassion when it was about to rain outside that i got such condensation. yu can attached some heat strips to your tank, like the one they have concealed in the rubber lining of glass door of the refrigerator. it will prevent any condensation and maintain a crystal clear appearance.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by sungod666 View Post
    i set one of my 5 ft at 26deg and only on a few ocassion when it was about to rain outside that i got such condensation. yu can attached some heat strips to your tank, like the one they have concealed in the rubber lining of glass door of the refrigerator. it will prevent any condensation and maintain a crystal clear appearance.
    I thought if the surrounding is hotter then the tank exterior surface will fog? Why is it the opposite way in your case? For my tank, if it's gonna rain, I will have a clear tank surface and no more wiping !

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Maybe it's higher humidity after the rain. We sometimes felt warmer, more uncomfortable after the rain right.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bernie View Post
    Maybe it's higher humidity after the rain. We sometimes felt warmer, more uncomfortable after the rain right.
    He mentioned before the rain

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut8787 View Post
    He mentioned before the rain
    Singapore is small, it might have rained just across the street and the humidity spreads over. I experience the same condensation 2 weeks back during the super hot days but also no rain at my place.