Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Dying shrimp!!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, I got a problem with my shrimps dying. The shrimps are in a planted nano tank with correct water perimeters and adequate aeration. I also give them good quality food.

I had the shrimps for about a month and suddenly a few of them (about 4) died all at the same time.

Could anyone advise on what is happening and how to rectify the problem.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Dying shrimp!!!

what shrimps are you keeping?
    what is the water parameter (temp/ph/gh/kh/tds) now?
    any new addition of plants/item into the tank lately?
    CRS - CRazy about Shrimps
    - Alan Phang -

You can't explain it simply, you don't understand it (well enough )..." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the reply.

I'm keeping cherry and tiger shrimp. Water tested yesterday was around PH7 with temperature of about 25 degrees.

Yup I added two new plants, a java moss and I think an amazon sword two days back.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hello afipower,

From my (little) understanding, I think when you added the plants you might have stirred up ammonia in the substrate! Correct me if I'm wrong guys but I believe ammonia is latent in the soil due to the decomposition of food, waste etc. When adding new plants to the tank, it might result in stirring up of the ammonia which is quite harmful to the shrimp!

Were the 4 shrimp that died a majority of shrimp in your tank or a small number? How many shrimp total are you keeping in there? Just curious!

Also, your nano tank - how big are we talking about here? Because I myself keep a really small tank, and it's been brought to my attention that a small change in a small tank can be relatively catastrophic as compared to the same small change in a big tank (where there is more water to buffer the change). For example, if we leave a small piece of uneaten food in the small tank, the decomposition would really affect the water quality as the bit of water that becomes "polluted" makes up for a large portion of the tank. Whereas in a larger tank, the small piece of uneaten food is hardly noticed as the water that's affected is relatively much less than the total volume of the tank.

What I'm suggesting is that maybe that small act of adding plants to your tank caused a sudden ammonia spike resulting in death of a few weaker shrimp. Anyone with me on this?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Magicbegins,

Thanks for the explaination. My tank measures at 20X20X25 with about 20 shrimps so its only a minority that has died.

So I guess I have to test the ammonium level in the tank then.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hmm, I'm not sure if the test would solve any problem, but I suggest a 20% - 30% water change.

Your tank is only about a month old and might not be fully mature. ie: the bacteria required to convert ammonia into nitrite and then to nitrate might not be fully established in your tank yet. In this case, you need to help the tank to get rid of the ammonia by human means, such as a small water change. Don't go for a large water change as we still need some mature bacteria to exist in the tank!
    Dymax IQ3 Acrylic Nano Aquarium: 220mm(L) x 170mm(W) x 220mm(H)
    Small Glass Aquarium: 180mm(L) x 130mm(W) x 150mm(H)

Why do space constraints exist, whyyyy.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

20x20x25 is only 10 litres, minus the soil and all the mass inside, you might only left with around 8-9 litres. this amount of water is very difficult to maintain.
    CRS - CRazy about Shrimps
    - Alan Phang -

You can't explain it simply, you don't understand it (well enough )..." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I agree with eviltrain about this. My tanks are 8L or less, and the water quality is quite tough to maintain. My fish/shrimp have to be hardy enough which is why I have guppies+platys, fire and malayan shrimp. I keep CRS too but I feel it's quite an amazing feat that my CRS can survive! I don't know why either, maybe it's my fish tank itself. It's the Dymax IQ3 Acrylic Nano Aquarium, which also has a transparent acrylic cover to prevent evaporation from messing up my water conditions. Perhaps the filtration system in my tank is also helps me maintain the water quality as there is a biological sponge included in the filter which promotes bacteria growth to keep water clean.

Should look into getting a larger aquarium, perhaps one with adequate resources for bacteria stocking! I know I need to go for an upgrade really soon. Heh.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks guys for the wonderful sharing. I think I getting the hang of things now and what I need to take note of.
    Thanks again guys!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

No problem bro, just sharing from whatever little experience I have.

Cheers!