light requirements for this setup

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys.

Had the intention to setup a 4x 1.5 x 2ft tank
    with just xmas moss.

Does anyone know here knows the best suited light requirements for this moss?

currently my tank only got FL light 3x 40W = 120W
    dun think its enough but theres lights reflector. so can anyone advise what to improve?

THanks !!
    GodLike InsiDe, IdioT OuTsiDe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Notebook

I think that FL may not be suitable as your tank is rather deep, 2ft right? The problem is the light intensity to reach the bottom. PL may be a good option but I think you need close to 300 watts. So perhaps MH may be a better consideration when lights is concern.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If you're doing just X'mas moss, you don't need much light at all. Your current 120W gives you roughly 1.6W/g which I think should be suffice for your moss.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

beside light what other factors do u have to consider when growing Xmas moss.
    temp is important too right?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Xmas moss can survive at 28-29C but they do produce lusher fronds at lower temperature (25-26C). Unlike java moss, xmas moss seem to favor stronger light - Give your tank 3W/Gal of PL/FL light and it will grow like weed.
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wow....like that got to modify my light casing. and 330Ws Pl is going to burn a hole in my pocket... if thats the case, might consider getting MH and more fans (feasible?) going to nature and shops to check out the stuff liao. so i think i try to stick at 2W per gallon.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Timebomb keep all sorts of mosses with just 0.4 watts per litre or slightly less than 1.6 watts per gallon. I agree with him that cool water is the key to these plants.

Regards,

Freddy Chng
    www.killies.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 10/14/2003 9:42:49 PM

Timebomb keep all sorts of mosses with just 0.4 watts per litre or slightly less than 1.6 watts per gallon. I agree with him that cool water is the key to these plants.

Regards,

Freddy Chng
    www.killies.com
    ----------------
    sigh… timebomb is different, he talks to his moss, besides his killifishes []
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ?? What timebomb.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Generally, I have read... light and temperature are interdependant in plant growth.

Plants are more tolerant of higher temperature at higher lighting. If you have low light, it is important to keep your temperature in the lower range.

I guess is the reason is that high temperature will drive up plant metabolism. Therefore, it require more energy from light to meet the energy demands. So you will find, at higher temperature, your plants will do better with more light.

So if you cannot get the temperature down, a little more light (and CO2) will help. But remember that more control is needed over nutrients in higher light conditions.

(Note: This applies generally for most plants. Temperature sensitive plants will need more specific conditions. Appearence of plants may also be different at different temperature/light conditions.)

BC