Country
    Singapore

Canon A70

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi All,

Don't know if its correct to post this here. I'm thinking of getting my first digicam and is eyeing the Canon Powershot A70. Is it good for taking close-up shots of plants and fish? And anyone knows where to find the best deals on Canon digicams? TIA

Rgds
    Himyick

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    get an equote from cathay photo or alan photo before deciding.

however, you might want to wait until after december.
    A80 and G6 may be out.

A80 doesn't have a flash hotshoe, so that might be a problem if not enough lighting

also on both this point&shoot cameras , there will be some shutter lag. so make sure you can live with it.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 10/13/2003 11:30:39 AM

I'm .....eyeing the Canon Powershot A70. Is it good for taking close-up shots of plants and fish? And anyone knows where to find the best deals on Canon digicams? TIA

----------------
    Hi Himyick,

The PowerShot 'A-series' are Canon's entry-level digital cameras. However, despite being an entry level camera, The Canon A70 has manual controls including aperture and shutter priority as well as selectable sensitivity, focus modes, metering modes, white balance (important for aquatic photography), photo effects and three minute movie clips. This will definitely make it a good general purpose 3.2 MP digital camera.

As for taking close up shots of aquatic plants and fishes, it really depends on your requirements. Macro shots for discussion, meaning just to give your audience an idea of what you are talking about, should not really be a problem. Aquatic images suitable for magazine publication will be a serious challenge.

Do take note that the maximum aperture is only F8 (as with most digital compact camers) and that the focusing range of this camera is as follows:

• Normal: 46 cm - Infinity (1.5 ft - Infinity)
    • Macro (Wide): 5 - 46 cm (2.0 - 18.1 in)
    • Macro (Tele): 26 - 46 cm (10.2 - 18.1 in)

If you really can't get close enough to your fishes, remember that you can always crop down the picture to get a larger image of the fish. A 600 pixel wide picture is already very large for internet presentation.

Pictures of plants are easier, especially if you switch off the filter to prevent them from swaying to the current. Full tank shots should also be no problem for the Canon A70.

As for where to get a good deal, I think prices these days are pretty much controlled. Peninsula Plaza area have several good discount camera shops around, MS Color (Ang Mo Kio), John 3:16 (Funan), as well as Alan Photo (Sim Lim Square) are often quoted by consumers for good pricing (service may vary). Check the threads at www.clubsnap.com if you want to know more about these shops and current market prices. Check the yellow pages for shop telephone and exact addresses. Do take note that Christmas promotions is just around the corner.

At the end of the day, a good support (steady hands or tripod) and controlling reflection is the key to good aquatic photography.

Enjoy!!

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    you may want to consider second hand too. clubsnap has lots of lobang.

since people tend to upgrade to dslr etc.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Benny and loupgarou, thanks alot for your replies. The resources are all very informative, just what I needed. loupgarou thanks for the tip on second hand models. Most of the sites have positive reviews of the A70 model, now searching for a good deal. Can I ask what is url for MS Color and Alan Photo? Now waiting for reply from Cathay.

Also what is the price range for A70 to look out for, Best Denki selling at $599 no freebies.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 10/14/2003 10:48:36 AM

Can I ask what is url for MS Color and Alan Photo?

Cheers,
    ----------------
    If you do a quick search at www.clubsnap.com you will probably find it. Here it is anyway...

www.mscolor.com.sg
    www.alanphoto.com.sg

----------------
    On 10/14/2003 10:48:36 AM

Also what is the price range for A70 to look out for, Best Denki selling at $599 no freebies.

Cheers,
    ----------------
    For a new set (without the promotional freebies), prices hover around the low end of S$500. Someone was very very recently a new A70 won in a contest for less than S$500. It's in the buy & sell section.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?