Images
    Country
    Singapore

How to make Glosso creep?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    some of my glosso just keep growing upwards. some creeps. why??
    Peace & Tranquillity
    My Photos:
    http://www.freewebs.com/cbong/index.htm

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Was told that not enough light will make it grow upward.
    Corydoras: 2 x adolfoi, 1 x agassizii, 5 x albino aeneus, 3 x arcuatus, 4 x atropersonatus, 3 x axelrodi, 6 x axelrodi variante B, 4 x caudimaculatus, 5 x duplicareus, 8 x goldlines, 3 x kanei, 3 x loretoensis, 6 x melini, 4 x panda, 6 x schwartzi, 3 x similis, 4 x sterbai, 4 x surinamensis, 5 x trilineatus, 4 x tukano & 3 x zygatus

RIP 1 x adolfoi, 1 x albino aeneus & 2 x panda

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    just up my 2 x 15W FL tubes to 2 x 36W PL tubes for my 2 feet tank. cukup tak?
    Peace & Tranquillity
    My Photos:

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    How many gallons is your tank? Try to maintain at 3W light per gallons.
    Corydoras: 2 x adolfoi, 1 x agassizii, 5 x albino aeneus, 3 x arcuatus, 4 x atropersonatus, 3 x axelrodi, 6 x axelrodi variante B, 4 x caudimaculatus, 5 x duplicareus, 8 x goldlines, 3 x kanei, 3 x loretoensis, 6 x melini, 4 x panda, 6 x schwartzi, 3 x similis, 4 x sterbai, 4 x surinamensis, 5 x trilineatus, 4 x tukano & 3 x zygatus

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    after changing to the new lights, the glosso started to bubble this evening. good sign aye?
    Peace & Tranquillity
    My Photos:

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    []
    Peace & Tranquillity
    My Photos:

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Of course it's a good sign. More O2 for your fishes.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Other than lighting, I've read from Aquajournal that the way it's planted at first will also affect how it grows. Planted in a solo stalk, glosso might have the tendency to grow upwards. Should first cut into tiny plantlets and, when planting, plant the plantlets in pairs. I tried that and the growth has been mostly horizontal so far, even in slightly shaded areas. My tank has close to 3watts per gallon.

- Vic

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hello, what if you planted it in groups....will it go horizontal?
    The groups are basically made of 5-6 plantlets.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    group planting is fine, just keep them small. As for upward growing glosso, the basic requirement is 2.5watts per gallon, not under shade. but then, some have tried with more than 3watts and still failed to grow them successful. What i usually do when growing glosso, constantly push any potiental upwards growing node into the gravel.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    One strategy I discovered rather accidentally is to let them grow freely for one month or so. Once they overgrow, you will see that some creep and some grow upwards. Throw away the upward growing ones and the rest will creep forever. I think this is a form of genetic selection.

I was also told to push the tip of the upward growing ones into the gravel forcing them to grow horizontally. But have never tried it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    from my many many back breaking attempts to grow glosso, after trying everything and i do mean EVERYTHING...

i still feel that it requires 'low temp'(25-27 maybe)in addition to the high light and co2 requirement. []

Feedback Score
    bttay hit it on the nose pretty good.ive grown glosso in 2 watts per gal and have also in 4+ watts.shaded areas cause the glosso to grow upwards but like bttay mention keep trimming the stray vertical growth and give it plenty of strong intense light and i will guarantee it will take off in a horizontal carpet when it feels it is ready.be patient it will happen.the glosso in my 29 gal layers itself overtop each new strand.when she gets to tall i take the scissors and trim it really close to the substrate.its not long before it bushes back up.the only probs i have with glosso is it is very intrusive.it can become intangled with all other plants.i hate when it gets in the hair grass.i now keep a watchful eye and catch any entanglments before they become a prob.glosso is beautiful and to me is worth the little extra care involved.