Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Cabomba!

Feedback Score

Cabomba!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Yoz everyone. This is my first posting as i'm new here. Definitely new to planted tanks too! I'm now in the midst of setting up my first.
    All help would be greatly appreciated.

-I plan to put cabomba in the background..but i dunno where to find them. Anyone knows where i can get them in healthy condition and at a gd price?

-Also, where are the gd places to shop for plants? Addresses will be handy.

-What brand of fertiliser is gd and where can I purchase it?

-Do i need to add fertilisers in future?

-Lastly, wat r the more hardy 'beginner' plants? Especially those native to amazon.. Setting up a small planted apisto tank u see...

THANKS!!!!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi there. welcome to the world of planted tanks. let's see if i can help you:

- Cabomba should be quite easy to get. try ah pek.
    - gd places to shop for plants would be ah pek farm (Capricorn) @ Pasir Ris farmway and Keong Seong @ blk 21 Havelock rd.
    - guess you mean base fertiliser? think JBL should be good enough. for liquid fertiliser, you can get Tropica Mastergrow or Seachem Flourish. i use the UP brand liquid fertiliser recommended by ah pek but don't seems good.
    - yah. i think it's good to add liquid fertiliser frequently.
    - don't know much about this but if you want some H. Polysperma (stem plant), which is very fast growing (treat this as a disclaimer ), i can give you some. think it's quite good for the new tank to help take in ammonia/nitrate given out by the fish.

think that's about all. hope i did help a bit.

Feedback Score
    Gee...thanks mate...ur posting is informative.

Planted tanks r really a headache for the beginner...the more articles i read in the forum, the more i realize that there are oceans of things i need to noe. The talk abt shrimps...algea...blah blah blah..

The acronymphs used (eg. SAE) and names of plant/animals (eg. ottos) r confusing. Dunno wat they are man.

Although i dunno wat the plant u're offering looks like...it seems useful for a new tank...will be glad to receive some of 'em frm ya. How can i reach u?

thanks a mil'

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/21/2002 6:27:23 PM

[8The acronymphs used (eg. SAE) and names of plant/animals (eg. ottos) r confusing. Dunno wat they are man.

Although i dunno wat the plant u're offering looks like...it seems useful for a new tank...will be glad to receive some of 'em frm ya. How can i reach u?

thanks a mil'
    ----------------
    hihi
    don't worry if you're confused about the terms
    that's what this forum is here for
    for starters, SAE is the acronym for crossocheilus siamensis, the siamese flying fox, commonly called the siamese algae eater due to it's predilection for consuming the abovementioned substance
    a good way to ID all the creatures involved in your planted tank would be to take a look around fish shops with someone who knows
    preferably with an empty pocket so you won't be tempted to buy

as for where to get cabomba, a good general locale will be serangoon north ave 2 blk 15x
    there're plenty of fish shops with plants there
    any brand of fertiliser should do
    i personally like tetra and bioplast
    you WILL need to fertilise on a regular regime
    however, when the tank is getting established, avoid fertilising as algae might set in BEFORE the plants can grow to take in nutrients

and for hardy plants, take a walk with someone in lfses
    there're too many species to list out ^ ^

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    correct...when u going around 2 look c, look c, don't bring a wallet full of cash.See this want 2 buy, see that want 2 buy.I'm also in the beginning stage,look c, look c.A lot of information can be found or u can asked anything in this forum.Great work U guys!!![]
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    search for Hygrophila polysperma here .
    the first plant is the plant i'm offering. anyway, that plant database should be quite useful but do keep in mind that not all plants listed there can be easily obtained here. where are u staying? i'm at the east, Tampines.
    anyway how much light do you intend to have for your tank? and you intend to add any CO2 (cylinder or DIY)?

Feedback Score
    Danke, arigato, thanks, "Gum siah" for all the valuable info folks. Would be very lost without such a helpful forum.

Well, my tank is 2ft by 1ft by 1ft. No lighting yet. Saw a 36W Single tube (electric ballast) at Nature Aquarium, wonder if tt's gd for my startup?

Dont intend to use CO2 at the moment...very small tank i have, n more imptly, the cost of 1!

To oqs: Hey, it's a nice plant! Will be very happy to get some frm u. I'm staying in the west, but my gf stays tampines(poor me?)...so i guess it wont be a problem to collect the Hygrophila polysperma 'Sunset' frm u in the east. How can i make arrangements with u?

Yea, would be great to be able to ID the many plant, fish, invertebrate, n aquarium eqpt. However, i'm a lone wolf in the hobby so far as i dont have frens who are into aquariums too. Will be happy to make some aquatic frens. (As for 'aquas', desker n changi have plenty of these pay pals...hehe)

Well, my email is [email protected]. Hp's 94503019. Feel free to drop a mail or line.

What can I say? Can't do without this forum mates!

The Best Is Yet To Be.

Feedback Score
    Hi there! Welcome to the world of planted tank. Just to add that there are 2 styles of aquascaping. One the amano stlye the other is dutch-style.The dutch-style consists of plants only tank with a variety plants immersed and submerged form (I think, not into dutch). While amano style consists of landscaping the tank with inspiration from nature. Usually the setup looks like pics of mine.

How the pics, enuff motivation alredi? So good luck on your quest.

Feedback Score
    So many tanks!!

VERY BEAUTIFUL!! I've seen many other pics tt u all have posted...makes me wonder if i'll be able to setup 1 of similar standards man...

I've seen a guy's webby...erwin lin....very beautiful fishes n tanks!! very nice site too!

If u r wondering y i use so many exclamation marks in my postings...tt's becoz u ppl nv cease to amaze me(not to mention excite) with all ur beautiful plants n fishes.. The fishes r real fine specimens man!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    jacian's tank are superb...somemore win AGA one..first price World competition....check his webby out
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    alamak! give him the address lah! wad are u doing man! tell him abt jacians webby and dont show address!? haha!

http://web.singnet.com.sg/%7Ejacian/index.htm

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    DEA said:

a good way to ID all the creatures involved in your planted tank would be to take a look around fish shops with someone who knows
    preferably with an empty pocket so you won't be tempted to buy

What a *great* idea! If you're lucky enough to have stores with knowledgeable staff, you could ask them, too. It's actually rare to find this in the U.S.

Do you guys have local aquatic plant clubs or societies? I haven't gotten around to making it to any events here, but a lot of times, people bring extra plant clippings and stuff for the taking. The person who hosts these events at their home will sometimes prune their plants when everybody's there and guests can take whatever they want. In the meantime, you can fill up on beer and snacks... You can pick brains, too. Find out how people deal with certain types of algae, what fertilizers they use, all sorts of great info... In some instances, I'm sure arrangements can be made to acquire hard-to-find fish.

I was invited to join when I was just starting out with planted tanks. My main concern at the time was feeling like an idiot amongst pros, but they assured me that they welcome anybody at any level. As long as the interest is there, you belong!

Oh, by the way, if you have trouble finding Cabomba, a similar (but lower-maintenance) plant is Limnophila sessiflora. It's supposed to be more forgiving of lower-light conditions. Cabomba is a strong light-demanding plant, from what I understand. If it can survive in lower light, it will likely get "leggy."

Good luck and have fun! I guarantee you'll be a plant-head in no time.

-gnome

Feedback Score
    thanks alot guys.

Jacian's tanks r lovely...lotsa work being put into each tank man...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow that's interesting.. well there r clubs but i'm personally not in any of them.. just here and i feel great
    ----------------
    On 2/22/2002 8:44:25 AM

What a *great* idea! If you're lucky enough to have stores with knowledgeable staff, you could ask them, too. It's actually rare to find this in the U.S.

Do you guys have local aquatic plant clubs or societies? I haven't gotten around to making it to any events here, but a lot of times, people bring extra plant clippings and stuff for the taking. The person who hosts these events at their home will sometimes prune their plants when everybody's there and guests can take whatever they want. In the meantime, you can fill up on beer and snacks... You can pick brains, too. Find out how people deal with certain types of algae, what fertilizers they use, all sorts of great info... In some instances, I'm sure arrangements can be made to acquire hard-to-find fish.

I was invited to join when I was just starting out with planted tanks. My main concern at the time was feeling like an idiot amongst pros, but they assured me that they welcome anybody at any level. As long as the interest is there, you belong!

Oh, by the way, if you have trouble finding Cabomba, a similar (but lower-maintenance) plant is Limnophila sessiflora. It's supposed to be more forgiving of lower-light conditions. Cabomba is a strong light-demanding plant, from what I understand. If it can survive in lower light, it will likely get "leggy."

Good luck and have fun! I guarantee you'll be a plant-head in no time.

-gnome
    ----------------

Feedback Score
    Hi,

Where can I purchase "Tropica MasterGrow". Used it 3yrs back. Good product. What is the price now?
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.
    Genesis 9:3