Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: two tanks with one canister filter.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

two tanks with one canister filter.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hello, i was wondering if it's possible to link two tanks with one canister filter (able to filter both tanks' volume) with the upper tier tank with an overflow pipe, flowing into the lower tier tank.

the canister will then bring the water from the lower tank back up. can anyone tell me if this is feasible?

thanks.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: two tanks with one canister filter.

Your canister have to be lower than the intake for it to work well. If not, try to get a higher lph rated canister (1500lph).
    CRS - CRazy about Shrimps
    - Alan Phang -

You can't explain it simply, you don't understand it (well enough )..." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

meaning the placement of the canister has to be lower than the level of the placement of the intake point? why does have a higher lph solve this?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

A picture is worth 1000 words. but anyway I did tinker of the thought before.
    For me the most important idea is how to make the overflow? I didnt have any good idea which doesnt involve customization of a tank though

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by theludicrous View Post
    meaning the placement of the canister has to be lower than the level of the placement of the intake point? why does have a higher lph solve this?
    yes. All canister are meant to pull and push their water out. But if the inlet is lower than the motor of the canister itself, the only force the canister is by the way of pushing

Quote Originally Posted by Blankies View Post
    For me the most important idea is how to make the overflow? I didnt have any good idea which doesnt involve customization of a tank though
    Hee hee. Hit my link in my signature and you will have few thousands words.
    - Alan Phang -

You can't explain it simply, you don't understand it (well enough )..." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

i don't think there are many choices but to actually get a tank with the pvc pipe drilled into the tank.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by eviltrain View Post
    yes. All canister are meant to pull and push their water out. But if the inlet is lower than the motor of the canister itself, the only force the canister is by the way of pushing
    hmm, then i think it's going to be a bit of a problem. since the intake pipe would be in the lower tank, and the canister on the floor beside it. i can't think of any other ways though.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

keke. use the cansiter as dummy. in front of the canister will be a dry water pump. enjoy
    - Alan Phang -

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

keke. use the cansiter as dummy. in front of the canister will be a dry water pump. enjoy
    what you mean use as dummy?

will it help if i partition the lower tank to have it's built-in filtration say in the back section of the tank? the overflowed water from the top tank will go through the partition first before moving into the main tank section.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

what you mean use as dummy?

will it help if i partition the lower tank to have it's built-in filtration say in the back section of the tank? the overflowed water from the top tank will go through the partition first before moving into the main tank section.
    dummy as in the canister is not plug into the socket and just as a container for media. the dry pump will provide the power to drive water through

don't have to partition the back of the lower tier tank. as per normal, connect a sponge inlet / undergravel panel / stainless steel mesh inlet to a J pipe to hose to dry pump to canister.

schematic of water flow :

rainbar -> top tank -> overflow -> lower tank -> inlet -> dry pump -> external canister -> top tank.

enjoy setting up
    - Alan Phang -

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

dummy as in the canister is not plug into the socket and just as a container for media. the dry pump will provide the power to drive water through

don't have to partition the back of the lower tier tank. as per normal, connect a sponge inlet / undergravel panel / stainless steel mesh inlet to a J pipe to hose to dry pump to canister.

schematic of water flow :

rainbar -> top tank -> overflow -> lower tank -> inlet -> dry pump -> external canister -> top tank.

enjoy setting up
    the way i'm understanding this is that the canister is just to hold the media right? i could also do it in a way that i partition one part of the bottom tank to house a submersible pump and another section to have the filtration media?

so let's say the top tank volume is 60 x 45 x 45, i can make the lower tank 60 (length) x 30 (width) x 45 (height). the other 15cm (width) partition to house the filtration devices and media. will this work?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

the way i'm understanding this is that the canister is just to hold the media right? i could also do it in a way that i partition one part of the bottom tank to house a submersible pump and another section to have the filtration media?

so let's say the top tank volume is 60 x 45 x 45, i can make the lower tank 60 (length) x 30 (width) x 45 (height). the other 15cm (width) partition to house the filtration devices and media. will this work?
    yes, it will ( double confirm ) work
    - Alan Phang -

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

i don't think there are many choices but to actually get a tank with the pvc pipe drilled into the tank.
    PVC very ugly bro.
    I was thinking of having a run off, like a glass facet into the smaller tank. I am assuming you are talking about 2 separate tanks right?
    I do not have picture yet....share it later

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

PVC very ugly bro.
    I was thinking of having a run off, like a glass facet into the smaller tank. I am assuming you are talking about 2 separate tanks right?
    I do not have picture yet....share it later
    i currently have a 2 feet tank, with the stand. i'm planning to reuse the stand. i guess the only way is to have the lower tank be partially a sump.