Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: yamatoes breeding tips

Feedback Score

yamatoes breeding tips

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hey guys! any tips on breeding yamato shrimps? my yamatos eggs just hatched and there are white lavae crawling all over my tank now.. pretty gross.. []

Feedback Score
    hey guys.. will the adult shrimps and otos eat the larvae?
    and how long b4 the larvae become shrimps?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Lavae? those are yamato offspring? How they look, do they look like slug..or snail without the shell?

I thought they are slug and I just killed a few of those.

Can you post some picture of the Yamato Lavae?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I used to saw lot of tiny white coloured bugs moving very fast on the tank glass. Are those Yamato lavae? Never know that, being trying to remove them all the time.

Feedback Score
    yup thats right.. it is shrimp larvae.. ermm they are white in colour and are abt 2 to 3 mm in length.

Feedback Score
    They look more like slivers of glass with a small, yellowish "dot" which is their head. For the first few days, they only "bob" in the water - they do not slither on the glass like worms. If you turn off the lights and shine a small light on one corner of the tank, the larvae will gravitate towards it.

I'm trying to grow mine out for the first time. If you can, put them into a separate tank (bare-bottom, only heater and a lot of Java moss) and increase the salinity with marine salt. Hatching and survival rates are reportedly increased dramatically by adding 1 rounded tablespoons of salt per 5 gallons (~20L) of water.

I've seen no evidence of cannibalism by the parents, but they seemed stressed in this unfamiliar environment, so I lured the larvae to one side of the tank and netted out the moms in the unlit side. I put the moms back with the males, and lo and behold, the next morning, one of them was already carrying a new clutch of eggs!

It's only been about four days since the first female released her eggs so I don't know if my methods are going to work in successfully raising the larvae to adulthood. It's my understanding that day 6 is the critical marker. For now, I'm trying to keep them well-fed on whatever is growing in the Java moss and Liquifry. I'm trying to grow a green water culture, too.

Good luck with your larvae! Do try to separate them and raise the salinity. The higher, the better, according to many. One person says he has best results at specific gravity of 1.015. Another report cites 30g salt per liter of water. You may have to experiment with this on your own.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I've hatched Yamatos fry before but they don't CRAWL! They wriggle like mosquitoes larve.

Unfortunately, I can't raise them to adult. They managed to survived for few days only.

Are you sure you got yamatos fry?

I wrote something about my experiment with hatching yamatos quite sometime ago. You can search for it.

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 10/28/2003 8:44:28 AM

Are you sure you got yamatos fry?
    ----------------
    Which of us are you directing this question to? As for me, I'm positive mine are. I had three shrimp release their eggs in this 2.5-gallon bare-bottom tank. Now I have hundreds of "twitching and bobbing needles" in there. For the first few days, they do a lot more bobbing than twitching. Since about day three, some have been "perching" on the sides of the tank.

I think they can be sustained longer with higher salinity, but according to one guy I've been communicating with, it may depend on where your particular Yamatos originate from (within Japan). Some can manage with mildly brackish water. Others will require nearly-marine conditions to achieve success. The only way you can find out is to experiment. If you lose your entire brood, try higher salinity with the next brood. This guy says he needs a specific gravity of 1.015. Another person I know only needs 1 tablespoon salt for ever 5 gallons (20L) of water. I've been told that Java moss can survive up to salinity achieved by about 2 teaspoons salt per gallon (1/2 tsp per liter?) so I'm keeping my conditions below this salinity.

So far, so good, but the upcoming days will tell...

-Naomi

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry gnome,

I don't mean to be sarcastic but sometime, we beginner need to learn thru the trial an error. Beside, I was referring to qwe123r as he mentioned that the fry are crawling. I think he may be getting something beside yamatos fry.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ya man! he could be getting something else beside fry.......
    my yamato always carry eggs, they are always pregnant, but never see any fry, think must had eaten up by the fishes.
    read it up on info that yamato fry is hard to raise up....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 10/29/2003 11:03:28 AM

ya man! he could be getting something else beside fry.......
    my yamato always carry eggs, they are always pregnant, but never see any fry, think must had eaten up by the fishes.
    read it up on info that yamato fry is hard to raise up....

----------------

Quite confused by now....
    Can some one post picture of Yamato's fry please?

I don't know if this is success, I saw pregnant Yamato in my 10G tank, then few weeks later, I saw 4 baby yamatos..teenage size already...

If this a low survival or high survival rate? Is this consider success breeding at all?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Can some one post picture of Yamato's fry please?
    -----------------------------------------------------
    You got to be kidding. You'll need a special microscope/camera to take their pictures! They are very very tiny. You'll probably never see it unless you do an experiment. I'll to locate an experiment I did that I posted long ago.

----------------

Feedback Score
    yeah they do crawl but only on the sides of the tank.. hmm i dont see the need for any salinity at all because it has been slightly over a week and there a still lots of larvae crawling ard.. saw i pic of them on the net so im quite sure they are yamato larvae [:]

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 10/30/2003 12:25:16 AM

yeah they do crawl but only on the sides of the tank.. hmm i dont see the need for any salinity at all because it has been slightly over a week and there a still lots of larvae crawling ard.. saw i pic of them on the net so im quite sure they are yamato larvae [:]
    ----------------

How Larvae look like, can describe in more detail or post picture?

thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You lucked out. After taking an interest in the topic i searched all over Google and this seems to be the only site with a pic of the larvae. It's the pic on the right.

http://users.skynet.be/caridina-japonica/
    ============================
    NEON TETRAS WOULD BE PERFECT IF NOT FOR THE ^#&*!()%@^&@%# NEON TETRA DISEASE!!

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 10/29/2003 10:00:04 AM

Sorry gnome,

I don't mean to be sarcastic but sometime, we beginner need to learn thru the trial an error. Beside, I was referring to qwe123r as he mentioned that the fry are crawling. I think he may be getting something beside yamatos fry.
    ----------------
    No, no - no sarcasm taken. I just didn't know who you were asking. Yes, I agree, mine do not "crawl" either. They may "perch" on the sides of the tank, but when they do this, they are usually very still.

It is only very lucky if you can raise even a single one in a tank that houses fish. I was able to save some hundreds only because I put the egg-laden shrimp into a separate nursery tank before they released their eggs. In fresh water, the eggs can still hatch, but fewer will do so, and it seems that 99% of hatchlings will die within six days. If the salinity is increased but not enough, they may survive to about 10 days.

I've noticed fewer today (day 6). My heart is sinking, but I think some of them may be playing in the Java moss or staying closer to the bottom of the tank, now. It's hard to tell. There are still more than I can count, but looks like maybe only half of what I started with.

That photo of the larva - it must have been magnified many, many times. Mine are the same shape, but it's impossible to see any of the details.

I'm keeping a daily log of my larvae. I still have hope that a few of these will survive to adulthood. Even if I get a half-dozen to make it, I'll be happy. BTW, I have heard of them growing in densely-planted fresh water tanks. It's just that when you're talking about 2 or 3 surviving out of a clutch of 2000 eggs, it becomes a question of statistics. 0.1%, I guess.

-Naomi

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    gnome,

please continue to post your progress sometime later, its very interesting to learn how you do it and what is your progress and survival rate...

Darkon,
    Thansk for the pics, What I saw is slug type creature, look like milk color snail without the shell, It glide on the glass like snail too, but very fast. It is very thin and flat.

Maybe what I saw is not Larvae at all.
    Sounds like I got a good harvest of 4 yamato baby (teenage by now).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Coincidently I am also trying to breed Yamato shrimp. Afraid that my current broods will die off. I have 3 large female with eggs. Manage to isolate one in a gallon tank and she has been in there for fornight already.

I think I have problem on how much salt to add and can be measured correctly once she let loose the eggs. So I am going to do what Engineer does Best! .... Estimation.[]

Wish me luck. And Tips welcome !!!
    Click to My Aquarium Blog
    I Love Corydoras, Planted Tank and Taiwan ( Singaporean )

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Engineer does not 'gasak, gasak'

Engineer does 'Evaluation' and 'DOE-Design of Experiment' to get down to conclusion.

Reason is to convince people (bosses), if not..confuse them.
    []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Strange thing is that among all the readings i... read (duh) some authors seem to raise fry up without difficulty, while others swear it's next to impossible. I think it depends on luck as well. Seems that there is some difference when the parents are from brackish water or they were bred from freshwater themselves.
    ============================
    NEON TETRAS WOULD BE PERFECT IF NOT FOR THE ^#&*!()%@^&@%# NEON TETRA DISEASE!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast