Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Best smallest quick release for canister filter

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I been loOking at quick and "dry" release for my 301 filter. It seems like I only see eheim. Are there others in the market? I understand the eheim Works well but it seems a little big and bulky. Any other good working slimmer/smaller/cheaper/ ones out there?

Also where is the best position for the quick release? As close as possible to the canister input/output?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Best smallest quick release for canister filter

By 301, can you specify the filter in question?

Eheim double taps are good for quick and "dry" release. They come in 2 hose sizes. You can place them anywhere along the intake and output tubes though if you intend to do servicing often on the filter, then the closer it is the better. I use 2 x Eheim double taps for my Eden 501. They are bulky but there's nothing else in the market that can do this, except maybe those Hozelock stuff.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The Eden 501 are using 12/9mm tubes right? I can't find any eheim quick release that's smaller then 16/12mm? Did u use a step down?

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    By 301, can you specify the filter in question?

Eheim double taps are good for quick and "dry" release. They come in 2 hose sizes. You can place them anywhere along the intake and output tubes though if you intend to do servicing often on the filter, then the closer it is the better. I use 2 x Eheim double taps for my Eden 501. They are bulky but there's nothing else in the market that can do this, except maybe those Hozelock stuff.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yes the tubes are 9/12mm, but there are Eheim double taps for that particular size. If you are at C328, you must ask Aunty personally because they are not shown openly. I remember she took a plastic bag from way on the top of one of the racks and fished out 2 sets for me. I cannot recall the price but they were fairly cheap IMO. IIRC, 2 x 9/12mm double taps pretty much doubled the cost of the filter. It makes servicing a cinch though. C328 stocks both single and double taps for the 9/12mm size, though I think for maintenance purposes, the double taps are a better choice. They will still look bulky however.

The Shiruba 301 is essentially a copy of the Eden 501 with some modifications. I believe these 9/12mm taps should fit on the tubes on your Shiruba.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yes eheim do have 9/12mm or 10/12mm (cant remember which) for eheim 2211
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks stormhawk. Will check with auntie tomorrow. The shiruba uses 16/12. But I will bring the Tubes along to check for fitting. Hate to hav to use yet another reducer.

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    Yes the tubes are 9/12mm, but there are Eheim double taps for that particular size. If you are at C328, you must ask Aunty personally because they are not shown openly. I remember she took a plastic bag from way on the top of one of the racks and fished out 2 sets for me. I cannot recall the price but they were fairly cheap IMO. IIRC, 2 x 9/12mm double taps pretty much doubled the cost of the filter. It makes servicing a cinch though. C328 stocks both single and double taps for the 9/12mm size, though I think for maintenance purposes, the double taps are a better choice. They will still look bulky however.

The Shiruba 301 is essentially a copy of the Eden 501 with some modifications. I believe these 9/12mm taps should fit on the tubes on your Shiruba.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Oliver, post updates on effectiveness of Iceprobe in your tank and quit fiddling with fixtures
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

i have a few sets of double tap. smallest i have is 16/22mm going for $75, 25/34mm going for $115. price is just a guide eh. you wont regret the purchase. it makes maintaining your filter a blast especially if yours doesnt have a shutoff vale design like most modern filter. Made in germany quality

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by RonWill View Post
    Oliver, post updates on effectiveness of Iceprobe in your tank and quit fiddling with fixtures
    I did test it for around 16 hours! Had to take it out as I am still figuring out how to make it permanent 

It took around 4 hours to reduce my temp from around 29 degrees to 26 degrees. It stayed within 26 plus minus 1 for the next 10-12 hours before I shut it off. So it works very well for me! Thanks Ron for helpIng with the drilling and DIY process. Should I say RIY as in Ron It Yourself! Haa

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Don't give me so much credit. You were there scribing out the Iceprobe hole (apologies again for forgetting about the hole cutter). I only added the final touch!
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee