Country
    Singapore

Nothobranchius furzeri "MZCS 2009"

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I've recently got a trio of Nothobranchius furzeri "MZCS 2009" from Green Chapter. The ones I got are amazingly huge (male approx. 6-7cm TL; female approx. 4-5cm TL). I've not kept N.furzeri before, so I read up a bit on them. True enough, the fishes are notoriously aggressive & so I separate the females alternatively. It seems to work somehow & I've recently collected some of their eggs.
    Here's a picture of the alpha male I got from a tank of 5 adult males. Pardon for the poor photo quality. Its taken with my sister's camera phone. I'll take better pictures of the trio when I have more time.

regards,
    Shi Xuan
    Last edited by Shi Xuan; 15th Aug 2011 at 00:48.
    Currently keeping large predatory fish 🐟

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Nothobranchius furzeri "MZCS 2009"

There were 2 phenotypes from this collection, you have the red form. There was another that was more darker, with a yellow vertical bar in the tail. The offspring from the eggs you collected may yield some different colored males.

I took photographs with the GC shopkeeper's camera the first day I saw them, still waiting for him to email me the unedited shots.

A side note:-

The MZCS 2009 importation did not contain any N. furzeri populations, but rather N. orthonotus. This was a continuation of an earlier expedition in 2008 with the code MZCS 2008, of which there are 3 N. furzeri populations as follows:

MZCS08-53 Chigamane
    MZCS08-120 Mazimechopes
    MZCS08-122 Bala-Bala

It is highly likely the fish are a mix between the Mazimechopes males and Bala-Bala males.
    Last edited by stormhawk; 19th Aug 2011 at 18:00.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Jianyang,

The information you provided seems to be quite true of this species in regards to the population. I did a google search & yielded no result of MZCS 2009 but 2008. I pm-ed you later without reading this post but if I'm correct, MZCS strains produce mixed varieties & they are the longer living variant. I'm not too sure of the source & the reason they label it as MZCS 2009 but why is it plausible that they might be a mix of Mazimechopes & Bala-Bala males?

BTW, the Green Chapter uncle labelled it as MZCS 2010 instead of 2009, of which makes a lot of difference since there's an expedition in 2010 & as such, the furzeri collected were labelled, MZCS 2010-29 & MZCS 2010-24.

Nonetheless, the fish is a sight to behold & the MZCS strains are hard to come by. If I were to choose, I'd prefer to keep them over Gona-re-zhou strain.

regards,
    Shi Xuan
    Last edited by Shi Xuan; 20th Aug 2011 at 01:46.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Nothobranchius furzeri "MZCS ??"

Jianyang, maybe you are right, the fishes might indeed be a mix of the Bala-bala & mazimechops populations, see here;
    http://www.nmg.nothos.org/htm/mzcs.htm

but again if it's indeed MZCS 2010, which collection codes could it be? There are the 24 & 29. If they are a mix, I think they should be labelled as aquarium strain? No?

regards,
    Shi Xuan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shi Xuan View Post
    BTW, the Green Chapter uncle labelled it as MZCS 2010 instead of 2009, of which makes a lot of difference since there's an expedition in 2010 & as such, the furzeri collected were labelled, MZCS 2010-29 & MZCS 2010-24
    Hi all, I've informed those who bought fish and/or eggs regarding population codes and apparently I goofed up while staying up too late to post threads or write bag labels.

Nothobranchius furzeri should be MZCS 2010, not 2009
    Nothobranchius rachovii should be MZCS 2009, not 2000

FWIW, the MZCS collection code was abbreviated from the Mozambique/Czechoslovak Expedition.

Details are pretty much vague at the moment but will update as I know more. Apologies for any confusion or mis-information.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Ronnie,

From my knowledge, there are 2 separate collections of the MZCS 2010. Is it possible to know the full collection code of the MZCS 2010? Thanks you.

regards,
    Shi Xuan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Dear Shi Xuan,

Do you have Nothobranchius furzeri for sell?

Regards,

ArowanaTLL