Images
    Country
    Singapore

Help - Fish staying at surface, gasping for air

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi , I need advise here. I have a 3 weeks old setup, 2ft tank with sand and driftwood only. I am using an external canister with spray bar. The spray bar outlet is facing the hind glass because I want to minimize water movement. No air pump.*

I have 6 cory and a betta and they are doing fine. When I add in a cichlid, it's staying at the top, gasping for air.*

I had since put the cichlid to another tank with air stone and is doing fine.

What is wrong with my 2ft setup ? Is it that I must use an airpump ?
    It's suppose to be a biotope setup so best is air bubbles can be avoided. How can I improve the oxygen level in the water then? Adjust the spray bar to create surface agitation?
    My fish list:
    BEC, L14, L27c goldline, L27d goldline thunder, L27 xingu platinum, L47, L90a, L160, L190, L200A, L239, L255, L330, L418,
    Steatocranus casuarius, Hyphessobrycon erythrostigma, Hyphessobrycon sp. White Fin, Puntius denisonii, Hyphessobrycon columbianus, Hemigrammus rythrozonus,
    Satanoperca Daemon, Geophagus sp. ‘tapajós red head’, Geophagus steindachneri

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I think there isn't enough flow of water around tank. Happened to me before when my canister got clogged.

Try turning your spray bar to direct water across the tank?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help - Fish staying at surface, gasping for air

I think there's not enough agitation to allow oxygen exchange. You might want to adjust your rain bar..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Just to make sure, how's your ammonia and nitrite levels?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Ammonia,nitrite,nitrate levels are all low. Cory and betta in it for two weeks already.
    I will adjust the spray bar to create noticeable water movement and if I have the time, make an air venturi for it.
    My fish list:
    BEC, L14, L27c goldline, L27d goldline thunder, L27 xingu platinum, L47, L90a, L160, L190, L200A, L239, L255, L330, L418,
    Steatocranus casuarius, Hyphessobrycon erythrostigma, Hyphessobrycon sp. White Fin, Puntius denisonii, Hyphessobrycon columbianus, Hemigrammus rythrozonus,

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I don't think its an oxygen problem...

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by y26tan18 View Post
    I don't think its an oxygen problem...
    What do you think the problem is ?
    My fish list:

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Just drop in an airstone w an airpump to increase surface agitation to see if it helps first.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I am going to heed this advise and see http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?...t-my-spraybar/
    My fish list:

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

U can try that of course. I removed my spray bar running just under the water surface previously because it sprayed water out of my tank when the water level drops too low. My wooden cabinet was ruined by that

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

try add anti stress to the water

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi

Fish staying at the surface gasping for air might not be filter or air problem. It maybe PH too low as it need a ph of 7 to 8 for your cichlid. Please check your PH if it too low your cichlid may not use to it just like you put sea water fish in fresh water.

Just my ten cent point.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

PH is not a problem as both water are from the same aged water source. i am keeping Apistos which prefer low Ph and soft water.
    My fish list: