Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

How to store aquatic plants?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have some plants that I want to keep for a week or so before I can plant them. Which is the best way to store them? Fridge?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If you haven't notice where the plants are stored at Teos, they are packed into the large fridge.

I am growing some cryptocorynes emerse now in an enclosed glass container with some water (and soil). I spray water into the container every mornining as well. The submerse leaves did not dry up at all and I fine new leaves that grew this way, are between the submersed and emersed form. You may want to experiment this way of storage, but keep it in a cool place.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It would help if you wrap the plants with damp newspaper and prevent it from drying up.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    why can't we just put them in a pail of water? Will this do if it's only for a day or two?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    A day or two should not kill the plants. But take note the leaves and stems of most plants will tend to bend with leaves facing any light source when kept this way. Unless you attach weight to it.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    ----------------
    On 11/6/2003 11:07:48 AM

why can't we just put them in a pail of water? Will this do if it's only for a day or two?
    ----------------
    Apart from bending due the horizontal position, I also noticed that if you keep them in water for a week, they will start to turn yellowish (may be some cells have died) as there is no regular lighting to keep them healthy.

I guess, by keeping them cool in the fridge, the metabolic rate gets slow down and the plant cells don't die so soon.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/5/2003 10:18:27 PM

I have some plants that I want to keep for a week or so before I can plant them. Which is the best way to store them? Fridge?

Thanks.
    ----------------
    Are you (a) upgrading, (b) starting new or (c) got some plants from friends?
    If (a) then tear down the tank a day earlier and put plants in basin.
    If (b) then buy plants nearer the setup date.
    If (c) then put in a basin of [preferably old tank] water at balcony or float them in existing tank. The plants can re-orientate themselves once they are replanted in the tank.

[]
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

budak bought some plants at Aquarama on Sunday.

On Monday near noontime, mrs budak noticed a red plastic bag at the back seat of the car. mrs budak opened the plastic bag and there it was..... a crypt (no water). The car had been sitting in the sun for hours. The crypt showed no sign of dying or turning crispy.

mrs budak took the plant to the office, topped up the water, left it sitting on the table, and brought it home on Tuesday. budak dumped the plant into one of his tanks.
    Another quality, non aquatic-related post from mrs budak!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Seems like a usual practise for the budaks.
    I still remember you left the MTS in the back seat as well for hours in the sun...
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    [/quote]
    Are you (a) upgrading, (b) starting new or (c) got some plants from friends?
    If (a) then tear down the tank a day earlier and put plants in basin.
    If (b) then buy plants nearer the setup date.
    If (c) then put in a basin of [preferably old tank] water at balcony or float them in existing tank. The plants can re-orientate themselves once they are replanted in the tank.

[]
    ----------------
    [/quote]

My stituation is (d) I want to save my trimmed plants of my current tank for the use of a new tank which I can only set up one or two weeks later. And I don't have a balcony [:]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    How about not trimming your plants for 2 weeks. Should not be a problem right? If it was me, I'll do just that. Same for the water also... don't change..... leave it for you new setup. This way, it will cycle faster.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    folks

If you choose coldstorage, make sure your wife/ mum doesn’t inadvertently confuse your crypts with her vegies. I know certain plts (garden) are lethally poisonous. A single leaf of oleander or adenium obesum (desert rose) could wipe out the entire family)

mike

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    ----------------
    On 11/6/2003 11:32:25 PM

How about not trimming your plants for 2 weeks. Should not be a problem right? If it was me, I'll do just that. Same for the water also... don't change..... leave it for you new setup. This way, it will cycle faster.
    ----------------
    Cannot also. If I don't trim them for 2 weeks, they will cover totally the top part of the tank and other lower plants would have problems.