4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Help my shrimps are dying!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi dear veterans around! just started the aquarium hobby for 3 weeks. my first batch of 10 CRS all died within 4 days, after some research i realize my ph level was too high and also temperature was also too high. So, i did the necessary measures of using Ph-Down and also installed a electronic thermometer to moniter the temperature. now the ph is between 6.5-6.8 and temperature is between 24-29. however my second batch of 6 crs also died leaving 2 left. Does anybody have any clue. Please help me as i am really frustrated~some ppl say the temperature fluctuation is too much. How can i maintain my temp at a constant level. In the afternoon the tank is about 29 however in the night when i sleep with the aircon on it drops to 24.
    My tank parameters are as so 10x8x12.5 inches. Thickness is 4mm.
    Would really love advice!

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help my shrimps are dying!!

Hi,

Not an expert but you may like to consider investing a chiller to steady the temperature? Other water parameters also play a part like KH, GH, NO2, NO3, Ammonia etc.. Maybe you also can consider looking into this area.

Are there hiding places for the shrimps and how do you introduce the shrimps into the tank?

Brian

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Did you leave your tank to cycle for 1 month without crs to build up beneficial bacterial before adding shrimps. If not they will easily die without the beneficial bacterial to break down the ammonia wastes

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

did you cycle your tank? can you take a photo of your tank setup so that we can take a look what's lacking?
    Aspiring to be.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

bro, sorry to hear your lost,, i no expert too, but may be you would like to tell us what soil, filter media, did you dechlorite the water and etc you use. may be this reason that may effect your parameters. if you do not want to used chiller or aircon u may be can used fan. i saw you said that your tank size is 10x8x12.5 inches ?? that around 25cm long in my opinion its better to have 2 ft at least so that you can manage the water parameter better.
    Last edited by rascal; 14th Sep 2011 at 23:02.

Most likely in front of the computer screen if the status is green.
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Neondagger View Post
    hi dear veterans around! just started the aquarium hobby for 3 weeks. my first batch of 10 CRS all died within 4 days, after some research i realize my ph level was too high and also temperature was also too high. So, i did the necessary measures of using Ph-Down and also installed a electronic thermometer to moniter the temperature. now the ph is between 6.5-6.8 and temperature is between 24-29. however my second batch of 6 crs also died leaving 2 left. Does anybody have any clue. Please help me as i am really frustrated~some ppl say the temperature fluctuation is too much. How can i maintain my temp at a constant level. In the afternoon the tank is about 29 however in the night when i sleep with the aircon on it drops to 24.
    My tank parameters are as so 10x8x12.5 inches. Thickness is 4mm.
    Would really love advice!
    Did you really bother to find out anything before sending those poor creatures to their doom? We live in a age where there is more than ample information out there on the world wide web and you only decide to find out AFTER wiping out all your shirmps?

Got a few questions for you.

What is the ideal temperature for CRS?

What does cycling a tank mean?

What is the ideal/preferred size of tank to keep CRS?

By finding out these few simple questions before starting your hobby would have prevented the CRS deaths.

Please go find out more before you decide on buying any more shrimps.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Like most keepers and bros here mention

1) list your equipment tank size,filteration, soil, media etc etc. (you expect everyone to guess??)
    2) Did you cycle since you say 3 weeks ( I doubt you cycle it properly)
    3) Did you have test kit to check ammonia ,nitrate,nitrite???
    4) Did you acclimatize them properly before releasing in tank??
    5) Temp is confirm 1 source that is killing your crs (Have you not read at all with 6 point of fluctuation you expect them be healthy this point i really want to say you murder your shrimps!!!!)

There are more point into it but than again is that is the case you must as well it ask everyone here to chip in and provide you a checklist isn't that better???? maybe the FAQ should design a checklist for all starting tank hmmm what do you guys thinks???

By the way ask you simple question you been to NS?? after running do your commander ask you to do a warm down or cooling down? Do you know the purpose of it or you just go thru the action because it the army?? Try it yourself running than when you reach home on the aircon EVERYDAY if you don't fall sick than i say blame it on the shrimps or the seller that sell you some weak shrimps.........

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

relax guys!! we all are shrimp lovers!!! we all make mistakes at first!! and no offense but its not called murdering.. we should help others in every way we can. may be he not sure about the basic so what.. he can learn what..so yeah who ever want to help will help him

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I am not a expert but firstly I think u should get a fan since ur tank quite small dont reley on aircon because temperature Flucuation is a big nono for crs as they are very sensitive.and secondly did u cycle your tank like three weeks before putting in the shrimps as the other bros said for beneficial badteria.thirdly ur bedding of your tank I recommend you get soil not those cheapcheap stones.forthly do you have a filter to keep the water flowing.fifth is I recommend you to have oxygen pump for your crs as they love a oxygenated enviroment.sixth is when u buy the shrimps do you just put them in or u put the plastic bag to let them get used to the temp? This is all I can help you for now will add on if a forget anything as it's 1am a bit late all the best in shrimping

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yes, it is because we are shrimp lovers that is why we feel this way. All he had to do was just google 'Crystal Red Shrimp', not a very difficult thing to do.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I believe alot of newbies do not know where to start looking for the correct info before they start keeping shrimps.
    Let's not be hasty and learn through some experience.

As all the bros here suggest, neondagger please share more information about your tank conditions.
    So more of us can help to analyze what when wrong.

As setting up a shrimp tank requires more than just adding soil, water, run a filter and put in your life stocks.
    PH, temperature are factors that contribute to your healthy shrimps. But there are more than that like KH, GH, ammonia, nitrate that you have to monitor.

Actually I notice you mention about using Ph-down. Did you drop the PH gradually? or instantly? It will also cause shock and death to your shrimps.
    Hope you do more research and asking around before buying the next batch of shrimps.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by rascal View Post
    relax guys!! we all are shrimp lovers!!! we all make mistakes at first!! and no offense but its not called murdering.. we should help others in every way we can. may be he not sure about the basic so what.. he can learn what..so yeah who ever want to help will help him
    Haha why i use that word "Murder" Because 1st he did not bother to find out more before he veture further 2nd point 29-24 temp fluctuation will cause the crs to have shock and death (this is the biggest mistake which prompt me to say he murder the shrimps knowingly or unknowingly) Using Newbie term as a excuse i can see a few so said newbie around they also know the biggest thing temp will cause death if it fluctuate too much they themselve have try and bother to at least keep the temp constant although on the high side but at they try to get fan etc to bring it down.

From the way i phase TS is he just jump into it setup without searching for info and when things happen he just come here for the sake of convience and start asking "WHY MY SHRIMP die" Now you tell me how convience is that?? Rather than do a goggle search and tally back with his setup he would have known some of the problem already and what he have miss out.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

haha.. Bro avex30, no heart feelings yeah
    i think his tank is small its 10 inches= 25 cm.. at least 2 feet to maintain the parameters for beginner. Bro neondagger please tell us your soil brand, filtter media and etc that you are using so we can help you..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Cambodia

Change to RCS shrimp.
    If all the RCS died within a month, then throw your whole tank out.
    End of problem. ---> Not fit to be a shrimp keeper.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hyun007 View Post
    Change to RCS shrimp.
    Salute...........................
    钱不是问题!问题是。。。我没有钱。。。
    花钱像拉屎一样简单,赚钱像吃屎一样难。。。

http://alvinchan80.blog.fc2.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Change to RCS shrimp.
    i've had my entire load of CRS, fire red and cherries die on me within a month. Means i need to throw my tank set out liao. Who wants a 1.5ft tank set with 2222 and HC-150A?
    My nick is lizhien. But i'm not a girl. It's Li Zhi En. =) You can call me Cole too.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi

Did you use the right sand? and did you check your PH? i got many friend all keep thier shrimp in 1ft tank also live till berried....Would you mind to tell us how you setup your tank so we can advise.

Thank You

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Change to RCS shrimp.
    LOL..what a funny conclusion..

and yes neon you got to specify your parameters and how you maintain your crs or nobody can help you..
    Aspiring to be.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

neon seems not responding to all our question.. how to help???

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe he saw bro hyun007's post and throw away his tank already.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast