Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Water

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    After reading a few places on the Interent, they all recommended using the water from a RO filter. Is it really necessary? And how do you mix the water with the salt?
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled" - Richard Feynman, 1986. Rogers commission into the Challenger disaster

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Law, u talking abt mixing the salt b4 setup or after setup? got difference leh... using RO can reduce the amount of harmful particles b4 hitting the tank.. however, i never use it.. a bit costly for me.. i can use the $$ for other stuff... go simple.. if not, u will find that it is very expensive... initial startup .. no need..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

ro means reverse osmosis...a ro filter can remove a whole lot of crap from our tap water. po4,crap,chlorine.....etc
    normally ppl use it to prevent algae break out.IMO i dun think its necessary as S'pore's water is pretty gd lah.
    however ppl in jurong shld get a di unit.i think the water over there not very gd.
    a RO unit is abt $300+
    a di is $70
    for mixin water for 1st time u can jus make it in the tank...but do this be4 u add ur sand...abt the proportions u must read the instructions 1st...i recommend instant ocean salt.its rated the best salt ion the US market n i find it very gd. it dissolves very fast too.u can get them from keong siong at havelock.abt $28 for 8kg pack
    for like monthy water changes jus use a bucket n mix n dump it in.

hopes this helps wally
    Acroporids and Tridacnids

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    me using coralife.. cost abt 55 for 20 kg..
    never tried other brand b4 except for red sea when there was a shortage of coralife..can get them from petmart.. they come in either 20kg carton or bucket form..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Spiff: What DI?

And damn, the salt is so expensive! More expensive than the base fert for the FW planted tanks!

How long can 20kg of salt last?

Kel: After setup, only add water right, how do you dechlorinate the water if you dun wanna run air through it for 24 hours?
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled" - Richard Feynman, 1986. Rogers commission into the Challenger disaster

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    DI i think you need to replace the resin once it's exhausted, maybe that's why the unit itself is so much cheaper than RO

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/25/2002 1:44:37 AM
    DI i think you need to replace the resin once it's exhausted, maybe that's why the unit itself is so much cheaper than RO
    ----------------
    They are different technology altogether. It is like comparing cassette player and CD player.
    You will need to replace the membrane in RO also.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Di is deionized water.. acts almost the same as RO...

For your 3ft tank.. say.. if u use coralife.. 20 kg can enable u to change almost 2 times the entire tank.. me using it coz i find it cheap and good..

after setup.. if u need to top up.. air the water lor.. basically like FW.. just dun add anything to it...such as dechlorinator..

u add water coz of evaporation.. but the SG is still very much remain the same.. the amt of top up depends on your evaporation rate...

Change water to remove nitrates.. but i usually dump the cupfuls of salt into my sump and run a hose to the sump first b4 filling the tank.. just remember that the SG itself after adding the salt will not give the correct reading.. wait for the water to be stablised first.. i show u the entire process when i help u to set it up.. ok?[]

Feedback Score
    I use a deioniser to 'filter' the water first. Be careful when you purchase one. Make sure you don't buy the Aquarium pharmaceuticals one like I did @ petmart- output so bloody slow that you have a wait a whole damn day to get 60 gallons. Will recommend the no brand one sold at Marine Life at Hong Leong for the same price (about $70) as the flow rate is as good as straight from the tap.

I actually also thought of installing a deioniser for the home and use it for the aquarium as well but at $950, that can wait till I strike toto.

Salt wise, I'm using Tropic marin. Used to have coralife. Can't tell the difference really but Tropic marin dissolves much faster and has no residue, which is good for me.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    slower = 'cleaner' water? that is what i thought.. if output = input.. like never kenna filter right?? well.. i dun know..

A cheaper alternative I have used was to mix the salt up with normal tapwater in a large bucket, then place a powerhead in there with a bag of X-phosphate and activated carbon. Works OK so far, no diatom outbreaks, and leaving the bucket to stand for 24hrs or more should allow most of the chlorine to evaporate.

Just my 5c worth.

Regards,
    Hong Yee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    dragongoby,
    perhaps u can leave the water overnight with powerhead and then mix it with the salt the following day??? [:]