Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: EI Dosing only for speeding up the initial planted setup?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

EI Dosing only for speeding up the initial planted setup?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

My 4ft planted has been setup for around 3-4 weeks now. Plants are all growing well (after an initial shock where some turned brown/ yellow etc). All are growing but not at a fasst enough rate. Especially of concern is the jap HG which are supposed to be my foreground plants. In my mind, I have them propagating to cover the entire foreground. I can see runners from the sides of the tanks, but they are developing rather slowly. 2 weeks to see runners, and the last week or so, new shoots only growing about 1cm on average.

I have read about EI dosing, but am just wondering before I take the plunge.....
    Can I start with EI dosing now, but stop with it as soon as the jap HG has propagated to entire foreground? By stopping, I mean go back to normal fert dosing on a weekly basis. What is the impact if suddenly i stop with EI dosing, say ie 1 mth down the line? Will there be a sudden nutrition drop, so much that alage will quickly take over the tank?

Below are the tank specific info.

Co2 => 24ppm
    ph => 6.4
    gh => 6dkh
    kh => 2dkh
    Ammonia => 0ppm
    Nitrite => 0ppm
    Nitrate =not sure, looks like 0, could be 10ppm (from strips its 10, from drop reagent its 0)

On a side note, seems like nitrate is too low, ie plants currently doing their job well? No ammonia, nitrite and nitrate almost 0 despite having 100 neons, algae crew and 12 penguin(?) tetras. Been feeding them rather generously.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: EI Dosing only for speeding up the initial planted setup?

not in my opinion. When you start dosing fertilizer, the nutrient inside your tank may no longer able to support the plant growth. Plant growth will stunt and leaf start to rot, new leaf will not grow properly and this is when Algae will normally attack.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    not in my opinion. When you start dosing fertilizer, the nutrient inside your tank may no longer able to support the plant growth. Plant growth will stunt and leaf start to rot, new leaf will not grow properly and this is when Algae will normally attack.
    shadow, does it mean once i start on the EI dosing, there is no real way to stop the dosing? If so, I think I will just have to be patient and do whatever I've been doing so far.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Try not to do some drastic change. I'm not sure whether it will work or not if you slowly cut back the dosing. Give time for the plants to adapt. I never try it my self
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/