Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: can E. Rose grow emersed ? My tank too small

Feedback Score

can E. Rose grow emersed ? My tank too small

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My Echinodorus Rose is growing too big for my 2ft tank (height 1ft only). The middle portion of a big leaf is curving up into the air and I think it is unsighty.
    So thinking of plugging it out and grow it as land plant. It is possible, and how ?
    Otherwise, you might see me giving it free in buy/sell section. []
    Please give advice.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I suggest you give it to me

Yes, Echinodorus genus can be grown emmersed.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    E.rose can be grown even in the smallest tank, just as long as there is enough substrate. The question is, whether it looks nice or not. IMO, it will be too big for your 2ft tank even if it grows emmerse. Suggest you remove it before the root system runs all over the place.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Strongly agree... I tried to remove my BIG E. Ozelot. when tugging/pulling it, I saw gravel movement over a large area! In the end, I gave up and let it sit in my tank.
    Baby Steel!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    you mean i can pluck my Echinodorus genus plants and stuff them in a pot with garden soil?

If can, I can pluck my rubin, ozelot green and ozelot and stuff them in a echinodorus garden.

Please do let me know

Cheers
    VIncent
    If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere. - Vincent Van Gogh

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Vincent,
    Yes, You can stick them into garden soil but make sure the soil is very wet. No matter what they are aquatic plants

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    put them in a fish bowl or something, put a layer or lonestar over it to keep the water from muddying, add a couple of guppies to take care of the mosquitoes, now you have an emmersed E. without having to worry about watering everyday [:]
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You may want to keep the echindorus in moist container/atmosphere for some time. When the emersive leaves grow out, you can remove whatever the plant from container and leave it to sit in a shading area. Thereafter, slowly acclimatise it to brighter light, which means, higher temperature and drier atmoshphere. The submersive leaves will experience rotting during this process.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i got a nice little fish bowl, i got garden soil, i got gravel and echindorus genus. SO what am i waiting for???

Anyway, my small area of potted garden need some new additions.

I think I should start converting my potted garden to potted aquarium plants garden.

Cheers
    Vincent

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    make sure must have fish [:]
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    errr mebbe i should keep a couple of cherry shrimps in there.

CHeers
    Vincent

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    cherry shrimps don't eat mosquito larvae []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Okie, plucked out one echinodorus ozelot green, stuff it in a small pot, fill it with garden soil and soaked the whole pot in a small glass of aquarium water.

Let's see if it works.

Cheers
    Vincent

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I juz took out my huge E Osiris 2 months back and planted them in garden potting soil mix with 7-8 mm gravel. After 2-3 weeks, it has started to respond and grows new emersed leaves. However, the growth rate is much slower compared to submersed form.

Here's some of my observation:

I followed one of the AQ member's advise to let the plant grow emersed leaves before planting it emersed. Strangely, the emersed leaves dried up and wilt away when I planted it into the pot. After 2 weeks in emersed form, it grew its first emersed leaf but the tips were "burnt". A week later, it grew another new leaf without any burnt tips. So I guess growing emersed leaves prior to planting may be skipped base on preference.

Prior to planting it, I seek the advise from the nice folks at Teo's. The advise was as long as the "head" or bulb of the Echinodorus plant is undamaged, one may trim away the roots and old leaves and plant it into the soil directly. If the plant is placed under "strong light", then one has to wet the leaves frequently to ensure they are always moist to avoid drying up. After the plant is accustomed to the heat and light, wetting the leaves once a day in the morning may suffice.

Alternatively, place the plant in a shaded place and you need not ensure the leaves to be moist all the time since they will not dry up that easily.

As for water inside the pot, juz keep the soil moist or a very thin layer of water will be good.

I juz uprooted my huge E rubin yesterday. Going to attempt to plant it emersed as well. Hopefully, things will go well.

Hey Juggler, as promised, will inform you once my E Osiris has any plantlet.

Cheers!

So before planting the plant, decide on the spot, bright or shaded. Then juz leave the plant there and try not to shift them so that they dun have to acclimatise to its surroundings again.