2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

How do I get them not to brood? Betta Channoides

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have found myself in a bind. I recently started pairing up my channoides fries from two sets of parents so that I can start selling them but much to my horror, two of the four pairs I have set up have started brooding!!! I've tried everything to get them to either spit or swallow the eggs but they keep holding. Any suggestions? I really don't want any more fries as I have two other batches growing out and have no space left. How can I stop them from holding their eggs? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: How do I get them not to brood? Betta Channoides

bro, maybe you have to isolate them after they release their fries.

it must be a sight for 4 feet 3 tier rack full of tanks with fries inside. hehehehe
    CRS - CRazy about Shrimps
    - Alan Phang -

You can't explain it simply, you don't understand it (well enough )..." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Haha! Seems like they are doing very well under your care. I've never gotten mine hold! Not even after 7 broodings. The only way seems to be to split them up in your case!
    Last edited by Emokidz; 20th Oct 2011 at 10:51.
    Cheers,
    Bernard
    Kept (no more ) Betta persephone, B. miniopinna, B. sp. palangkaraya, B. uberis, B. channoides, B. burdigala
    Pseudepiplatys annulatus, Nannostomus eques

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Aiyoh, I was pairing them up so I can hopefully sell the damn things. I think that was a mistake. At least when the new babies arrive I can use them as fish food...hahaha.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Wah! That's sad!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by eviltrain View Post
    bro, maybe you have to isolate them after they release their fries.

it must be a sight for 4 feet 3 tier rack full of tanks with fries inside. hehehehe
    It's not the parents. They are isolated. It's the fries that have matured that are now breeding!! ARRGH!

And it's a 4ft, 4tier. Bigger nightmare. hahahaha

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Managed to get some photos of the two males I have paired right now. Bro Emokidz bought the two brooding males and he just messaged me that they are still holding after the long trip back to his place. These guys are soooo damn determined to breed. UGH.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yes.. Still brooding! Haha. And the colours of the fish in your pictures are just spectacular!
    Cheers,
    Bernard
    Kept (no more ) Betta persephone, B. miniopinna, B. sp. palangkaraya, B. uberis, B. channoides, B. burdigala

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Emokidz View Post
    Yes.. Still brooding! Haha. And the colours of the fish in your pictures are just spectacular!
    The two males you have now were even more intense in colour than these ones...maybe they are a bit stressed now. Here are pics of the last pair mating this morning...brooding now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i just got 2 pairs from mudskipper, both males' mouth still as bigg!! lol

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

LOL! Hey bro, looks like there are going to be even more Channoides in SG over the next 6 months. Very cool! No more pairs left that are ready to go. May pair up the last 3-4 males this weekend to see if anyone is interested. Thanks to Emokidz and Androol (and Apple) for kindly giving these guys a great home.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Haha! Wow! Your channoides are really going strong. If you still have any by the end of the year, I would love to pick up a pair from you to try breeding!!
    Cheers!
    griffinkid

Keeping | Nannostomus Eques, Pseudomugil furcatus, Sphaerichthys osphromenoides, Pseudepiplatys annulatus and Corydoras hastatus |

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Recently paired up the last four pairs of the young. Will probably have more by end of the year, early next year. The last two batches are growing fast, eating like pigs. Just let me know if you're interested.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

nice! mine.. the eggs all gone..

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yup. Some males will just eat/spit the eggs all the time. Others will keep holding them no matter what. I think it's partly due to the personality of the fish.
    Cheers,
    Bernard

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

From what I have seen here, once a fish hold for a few days...say more than 3-4 days, it's likely they will do what they can do hold until they release. Someone explained it as they've spent so much energy and are almost half way there, so they just see it through no matter what stresses they may have experienced. The fish Bernard got had been holding for about 4-5 days when he got them but Andrew's had only starting holding for a day or so. So I think this makes sense.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hey Mudskipper , I've been doing some reading , some websites state that channoides need to be in ph 5-6.5. Some also states that 6.5-7.5 is also okay and they will even breed. And to add to the confusion , some say they need to be in 22C-25C while some say 25-30C. Could you please help me clarify my doubts? Since you kept and have breed them successfully.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

There's a big difference with information from websites. I think that those of us here will agree that our water never gets to 22-25C without a chiller. "Technical information" is great, but use it as a guideline and not the rule. Also, different things work for different people. What works for me may not work for you, or someone else. It's really all about making sure you take care of them, give them the conditions that they prefer (which includes less stress) and making sure they are well fed (not fat, like me). It comes from practice. Not books or websites or what people like me say. 8-)

Finally, always remember that fishes are individuals too. What works for one may not work for another either.

Does that scare you more? Don't let it. When we all start out, we read everything we can before plunging into the deep end. After a while, we realise that everyone is an expert...and some of the experts have never even kept the species - their knowledge is purely academic.

Good luck!! 8-)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Great info here! Thanks! So I'm planning to keep my ph at 6. How do you do water change without having ph fluctuations ? Add ketapang leaves / blackwater in a pail of aged water?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Don't know. I don't monitor PH. I age my water around 3 days before doing water change, with ketapang leaves. It's a hobby, not science lab. At least to me. hahaha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast