Images
    Country
    Singapore

Amonnia Spike

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    It's start off with a mistake and careless act. I got a 40cm tank (shrimps + 2 oto + 4 cory) and a nano tank (10 fishes + 1 oto + 2 cory).. so i decided to move all my fishes to shrimp tank, so i can just focus on 1 tank.. i got a 2 tier rack, shrimp is at lower part and in order to move it up, i need to take out 60% of water, to have less weight to carry up.. so i do everything, input new water and fishes all moved over.. soon the nightmare came, over night i lost all my 16 fishes and corys, to believe is amonnia spike.. but strange thing is, if i got a amonnia spike, how come my shrimps is fine..?

anyway have top new live stock in and now having bacteria bloom..

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Amonnia Spike

i assume you using aquatic soil for the shrimp tank bro?, that could be the cause. Additional to that, you mentioned input new water, means direct tap water?

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

does both of your tank's water having the same parameters? If both tank waters does not have the same water parameters did you acclimatise the fishes? With that many fishes added into a shrimp tank,it is inevitable to have deaths as the bioload way exceeds what it can handle.
    And if you add direct tap water without treatment,the chlorine will have all your benificial bacteria killed.
    Aspiring to be.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

diazman, ya. it's shrimp soil, yes tap water with anti-chlorine.

leefhker, it's a bad mistake for not doing a proper way, it's kind of painful experience to learn. it's treatment with anti-chlorine.

but how come the shrimps is fine.?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I believe your bio load was too overwhelming when you transferred all the fishes to the shrimp tank at once plus the additional direct tap water. That could have caused the BB to crash most likely. Monitor the shrimps carefully and spot for any signs of distress.

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I think since only fish die, then it's the water parameters the fish couldn't adapt to. Maybe a difference in PH. Also, despite the deaths, you actually too up new life stock and have bacteria bloom? Your tank is not cycled fully as well. You should cycle the tank fully.
    More than ONE fish = Fish
    More than ONE species of fish = Fishes

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

diazman, i see, so far shrimps still fine and bacteria bloom is starting to clean off.

hardric, yes, i top up new live stock in. this tank is few months old since june, but still once a while will having bacteria bloom.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

im interested in your filtration, what HOF/canister you using?

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If you still have bacteria bloom every now and then in a matured tank, then it's a sure sign of overfeeding or your filtration not working well. Not very good for your livestock.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

diazman, now using HOF.

hardric, nornally happen after i water change, but not always happen. so far happen 4 times plus this.

btw still abit cloudy, i perviously find it strange on my dead fishes, i able to find 9 galaxy rasbora bodies. i search my whole 40cm tank but still cannot find, till just now i pick up my driftwood and found it stuck below. i guess it's the cause of cloudy water.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by mo sheng ren View Post
    diazman, now using HOF.

hardric, nornally happen after i water change, but not always happen. so far happen 4 times plus this.

btw still abit cloudy, i perviously find it strange on my dead fishes, i able to find 9 galaxy rasbora bodies. i search my whole 40cm tank but still cannot find, till just now i pick up my driftwood and found it stuck below. i guess it's the cause of cloudy water.
    i guess you can check the dead spots in the tank where water unable to flow well and clean up as much as you can. as for WC, usually how many %?

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

diazman, before that i'm using inner filter, just change to HOF. anyway i normally do 10-20% WC, anyway my tank water is finally clear again.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

diazman, before that i'm using inner filter, just change to HOF. anyway i normally do 10-20% WC, anyway my tank water is finally clear again.
    ah, that could be the reason. inner filter not goo enough for shrimp tank IMO. My shrimp tank using HOF together with canister filter for extra BB cultivation. Overkill, but my water is crystal clear.

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by diazman View Post
    ah, that could be the reason. inner filter not goo enough for shrimp tank IMO. My shrimp tank using HOF together with canister filter for extra BB cultivation. Overkill, but my water is crystal clear.
    inner filter is good but too strong and suck my shrimplet stuck to death. also take up space and block my light for plants. btw I think my HOF is abit under for my tank, but I still can get clear water now.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Clear water is not an indication of good water and hence very bad indication of a good filter. Please note that given time, a tank with NO filter will also have clear water. That's when all the sediments have settled on your gravel. Purchase an Ammonia and NO3 test kit. I have a feeling that your Ammonia will not be zero..

The reason why your fish died and not your shrimps is because you transferred your fish to your shrimp tank, while your shrimps remained at home. I guess you didn't acclimatize your fish properly and just dumped it in the shrimp tank right after netting it out of their original tank. It is a bit peculiar that your shrimps are not dead after a 60% water change with only de-chlorinated tap water. Test the pH of your tap water, I get 7.9 and I know some people who gets up to 8.5 on theirs. I'm guessing your shrimps are cherry / Fire reds / sakuras? Pretty hardy bunch!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Ecalyte,

bro chill.. having filter isn't it to give the tank water to have a better flow.? i no longer do any water test, the last test my Ammonia and NO3 is true that it's abit high.

yes, i did say i make mistake and i didn't proper acclimatize my fishes. but i got 4 corys in shrimp tank, yet they still died. for info that my tank got cherry, sakura, snowball, tiger and crs, but all still survival.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ecalyte,

bro chill.. having filter isn't it to give the tank water to have a better flow.? i no longer do any water test, the last test my Ammonia and NO3 is true that it's abit high.

yes, i did say i make mistake and i didn't proper acclimatize my fishes. but i got 4 corys in shrimp tank, yet they still died. for info that my tank got cherry, sakura, snowball, tiger and crs, but all still survival.
    No. That is not the function of a filter. You don't seem to know anything about the nitrogen cycle. Are u keeping animals so that they just survive? There are people living in junkyards. They survive also. Get my point? BTW, there is no need for me to chill.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Bro hardric, i think the chill comment was directed at me, although I'm not sure why.. Haha!

Mo sheng ren, don't you think its a funny time to decide to stop taking measurements of your water parameters when your ammonia and nitrate is still reading high? How then will you know if and when your ammonia has gone down, and how will you know when to do water changes based on your Nitrate levels? Most people will only stop taking water measurements when their parameters have stabilised and are confident of maintaining them. The most seasoned aquarists will then take their cue from their lifestock's behaviour.

Please take some time in learning the Nitrogen Cycle. Its really a simple concept and there are literally thousands of websites that will offer complete information on the topic. Just google 'Nitrogen Cycle'. This is a step that NO aquarists can skip no matter how experienced. There are occasional exceptions, but trust me when I say.. Your case is not one of those exceptions..

Appreciate the life that you've taken upon yourself to be responsible for.. And give them at least LIVABLE conditions..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ecalyte View Post
    Bro hardric, i think the chill comment was directed at me, although I'm not sure why.. Haha!
    Im preempting him telling me to chill

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

+1 Clear water is not an indication of good water and hence very bad indication of a good filter. Please note that given time, a tank with NO filter will also have clear water.

+1 'Nitrogen Cycle'. This is a step that NO aquarists can skip no matter how experienced.

chill bro haha,anyway the above mention by the experience people is really sound and accurate no doubt.

Well I did setup a new tank for a friend with 90% dechorinated water and 10% old water from tank, Old OHF with media all transfer over. New substate etc. Everything goes well for a month till now with no fatalities. But I guess its luck or the exception mention by Ecalyte Bro.

As i saw someone posting at uk fish forum saying keeping a fish is no big deal to us but the fish DEPEND on us to live. That enlighten me alot. haha.

My 2 cents