Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Small Amounts of Copper kill CRS?

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Country
    Singapore

Small Amounts of Copper kill CRS?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi all, i just need to check if small amounts of copper can also kill CRS? i just found out that my fertiliser Profito contains copper, evrytime i add 7 to 8 ml tomy 20 gallon tank, 2 crs will die the next day and one to 4 for the week, anyone using this brand?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Cambodia

Re: Small Amounts of Copper kill CRS?

Copper has always been know to kill shrimps and snails.
    It is impossible to find out the tolerance level of copper as each shrimps varies.
    I will not recommend any copper content for your tank.

A person with allergic to peanuts can have very bad reaction or even death even if the portion is not noticeable by eyesight. For a human being, there is always the hospital but sadly there is none for the shrimp and by the time you saw them twitching, that poor shrimp is a goner.

I am sure the people on this forum will be able to recommend you some good fertilizer that is shrimps safe.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I have used Profito with my planted shrimp tank before but I only dose 1-2ml everyday.. My plants also quite alot which might be the reason that my plants absorb faster then what it might kills the shrimps..
    钱不是问题!问题是。。。我没有钱。。。
    花钱像拉屎一样简单,赚钱像吃屎一样难。。。

http://alvinchan80.blog.fc2.com

Feedback Score
    17 (90%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by hyun007 View Post
    Copper has always been know to kill shrimps and snails.
    It is impossible to find out the tolerance level of copper as each shrimps varies.
    I will not recommend any copper content for your tank.

A person with allergic to peanuts can have very bad reaction or even death even if the portion is not noticeable by eyesight. For a human being, there is always the hospital but sadly there is none for the shrimp and by the time you saw them twitching, that poor shrimp is a goner.

I am sure the people on this forum will be able to recommend you some good fertilizer that is shrimps safe.
    actually tiny amount of copper is needed for their molting, as an acticle i read pointed out. some shrimp products carry copper content as well
    Zack

Feedback Score
    Country
    Cambodia

Quote Originally Posted by ZackZhou View Post
    actually tiny amount of copper is needed for their molting, as an acticle i read pointed out. some shrimp products carry copper content as well
    The problem is most of us does not know what is the safe level for "tiny"?
    Will the the copper build up more than "tiny" as time go by when some does not get absorbed by the plants?

Also, some of the food that they eat might already contain copper sulfate to help the molting.

0.10 mgL-1 is a safe level that for sure, BUT unless we have a copper monitoring device, it is going to be quite difficult to monitor.

Feedback Score
    17 (90%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by hyun007 View Post
    The problem is most of us does not know what is the safe level for "tiny"?
    Will the the copper build up more than "tiny" as time go by when some does not get absorbed by the plants?

Also, some of the food that they eat might already contain copper sulfate to help the molting.

0.10 mgL-1 is a safe level that for sure, BUT unless we have a copper monitoring device, it is going to be quite difficult to monitor.
    Bro, there are always Cu Test Kits.
    Zack

Feedback Score
    Country
    Cambodia

Quote Originally Posted by ZackZhou View Post
    Bro, there are always Cu Test Kits.
    How many of you guys actually test CU every week???
    I guess I must be the only lazy one who doesn't and don't need to.

Feedback Score
    17 (90%)
    Country
    Singapore

i dont have Cu test kit. hahaha
    Zack

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Its not just the amount of copper bros, its about the FORM of copper.
    Shrimp's "blood" or haemolymph, is copper based, while ours is iron based.
    We die if we get directly injected with rust, but we take iron supplements from GNC. Somewhat similar to how certain copper based drugs kills shrimps while copper in food and fertilizers may not.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi all, just to update, my tank used to be heavily planted, and i always add 8 ml to my 20 gallon tank a week with profito and my shrimps are ok, but ever since i removed my plants and include fewer plants, the shrimps died, anyway i have stop adding profito to the tank and see how it goes will update all of you, RIP CRS

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Guppy77 View Post
    Hi all, just to update, my tank used to be heavily planted, and i always add 8 ml to my 20 gallon tank a week with profito and my shrimps are ok, but ever since i removed my plants and include fewer plants, the shrimps died, anyway i have stop adding profito to the tank and see how it goes will update all of you, RIP CRS
    Have you tested the nitrate levels of the tank bro? If you're dosing same amount of nitrate but with less plants, nitrate build-up can get toxic once its goes above 40ppm.
    Also, test for TDS and GH. Those tend to climb when I does ferts aggressively. Without plants to soak up the ferts, TDS may be harmful above 220.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Bro, i did not test for nitrate and other things as i do not have those tests kit, but i think my nitrate is under control as i have alot of frogbit floating with its roots hanging in the water, for testing TDS, can i know where to buy the equipment? also is it very expensive? yesterday i did another partial water change and 2 shrimps passed away this morning, i think i should stop changeing water for 2 weeks, no adding of liquide CO2 and Profito, just add the nutrafin solution to for killing chlorine will be ok right? i seriously do not want to meddle with the water from today onwards. its scary waking up or coming back from work to see 1 to 2 dead corpse on the gravel

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Country
    Singapore

does C328 at clementi there sell TDS meter?

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Country
    Singapore

sorry also what are the important test kit i need to get? nitrate test, PH test, GH test, is it enough?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Bro, i did not test for nitrate and other things as i do not have those tests kit, but i think my nitrate is under control as i have alot of frogbit floating with its roots hanging in the water, for testing TDS, can i know where to buy the equipment? also is it very expensive? yesterday i did another partial water change and 2 shrimps passed away this morning, i think i should stop changeing water for 2 weeks, no adding of liquide CO2 and Profito, just add the nutrafin solution to for killing chlorine will be ok right? i seriously do not want to meddle with the water from today onwards. its scary waking up or coming back from work to see 1 to 2 dead corpse on the gravel
    You case is starting to sound like how I was losing shrimps awhile ago. I suggest also changing to a non-sulphur based dechlorinator, such as Shizhen. I'm not sure if Nutrafin is sulphur based or not.

does C328 at clementi there sell TDS meter?
    Yes, I think they do. Otherwise, you can walk across the road to Green Chapter shop. They have the TDS meter, you can check their GC webstore for the price

sorry also what are the important test kit i need to get? nitrate test, PH test, GH test, is it enough?
    If you're certain there's no ammonia issues, then yes, these and the TDS meter should be good enough to tell if there's a major problem with the water.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Bro Navanod, thanks alot for your kind advise, seriously i do not know if the declorinator contains sulphur as i guess most manufacturers don't tell, anyway i will not adsd the fertiliser anymore as i say i dound out there is copper in it, also i will get the test kits and see the results and post it here again, hope no more dead bodies later when home, i have 2 pregnant CRS b4 and i guess they are too stressed and lost their eggs very sian