Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi all

as above. []

any way to boost its growth?

lights at 80+watts (3 feet tank)
    using seachem flourish, potassium, nitrogen, iron.
    co2 at 2bps. target feeding it with fert sticks at roots.

still super slow.

jon.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi Jon..

to what i know is that cryptocoryne balansae growth rate itself is considered slow..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Try to achieve a good concentration of Co2 and insert Root monsters near the crown of balansae.

I had a growth boom for mine in 2months time. Now They are seemed too long in my tank.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    They need to take awhile to get settled, then they'll grow. Unlike other crypts, they do better under brighter light and CO2. Putting fert sticks or root monsters will help. Mine took about 2 weeks and now are starting to bubble and show noticeable growth. The slower growth rate is just right for me. If you want super fast growers then maybe can consider vallisneria.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I thought C Balanse do not require too much light? Pls advise as I have some problems with mine as well.

My lighting is around 3.5 wpg using 4 FLs and 2 PLs. The C Balanse is placed at the back and the closest light source is from the FLs. The problem with them is their long leaf stalk, about 7-8 cm. It can't be a lighting problem right?

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/29/2003 11:25:51 AM

I thought C Balanse do not require too much light? Pls advise as I have some problems with mine as well.

My lighting is around 3.5 wpg using 4 FLs and 2 PLs. The C Balanse is placed at the back and the closest light source is from the FLs. The problem with them is their long leaf stalk, about 7-8 cm. It can't be a lighting problem right?
    Cheers!
    ----------------
    7-8cm of leaf stalk is normal. It will be longer if your balansae is fully grown in good condition with a appropriate sized tank to grow in.

According to kassalemann's book, balansae can be grown shaded - shaded sunny (< 3wpg).
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/29/2003 11:25:51 AM

Cheers!
    ----------------
    They can be grown with less light, but seem to benefit from moderate-high light. Mine are almost directly under 3wpg PL lights. The first week or so, growth was dead slow. The past week I've estimated abt 1-2 inch of growth, though they have not thrown out runners yet. I have some root monsters under them and tank temp hovers around 26-27.5 deg. Read that they do better with relatively hard, calcium-enriched water.

This is a good site another forum member directed me to:
    The Crypts Pages

Here's another good article:
    Crypt article

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Mine's been with me for more than 6 months but were either shaded at the growth tips by my C Wendii or the whole plant is shaded by stem plants. I thought it does not matter since they dun need strong lighting.

Correction! My leaf stalk is more than 8 cm long. They are actually about 1/2 my tank height(2ft). REally frustrating to see the bare stalk in the tank, coupled with the shadowing of the bottom plants by the long leaves. As a result, I have to trim away these leaves leaving my C Balanse to have a only couple of leaves all seasons round!

Sigh... wonder when and how will I be able to achieve my desired Balanse background!

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I planted a few in a shaded area and development has been negligible. One of them got dislodge recently and it's been floating in my tank for about 2 weeks. In the 2 weeks, the one pathetic solitary leaf has doubled in length and a new leaf can be seen growing.

Last night, after usual maintainance, I dug up the rest of them and am letting them float or settle in a brighter area. I'll report again if there are any good results.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.