28 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Super unlucky me!!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    i was feeding my shrimps the other day, then i realise that after feeding them, there was some casualties.

So i thought maybe it was water problem, did some water change etc etc, then i tried feeding again a few days later, the same thing happen..

Decided to check on my packet of food (Hikari Algae Wafer) - when i open up and use a very strong light to peep into the pack, i saw super tiny small white bugs crawling all around the wafers!

May i ask bro around here, is this common? - i kept the food in a dry and dark place, with the zip lock on and tight already. Wonder how these pest got into the packet.

And any idea what might these pest be? i dont want them to over run my whole house - somehow i see, they feel like dustmite to me... small tiny white color stuff which looks as big as a full stop.
    Been awhile since i last kept shrimps/ fishes, please give me your kind guidance!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My auto feeder have same issue.
    Damp condition in storage, my bottle of feed does not have that problem.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Super unlucky me!!!

Hmm .. Bro Felix, so u throw away everything? Any idea what are those ? How to get rid of them?
    Been awhile since i last kept shrimps/ fishes, please give me your kind guidance!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I think you can consider to sun them, like dry goods to get rid of the pest and restore dryness to the algae wafer. I use small airtight chicken essence bottle to keep small amount of the food for daily feeding. Minimise the air in the main big packet before sealing it. Try not to open the main pack regularly to minimise exposure to moisture. Using this method, so far I have no issue of pest even after a few months.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

err. just throw away and buy new one la. hehe
    CRS - CRazy about Shrimps
    - Alan Phang -

You can't explain it simply, you don't understand it (well enough )..." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I pour portions of my fish food into film cannisters to use and store the rest in a dry place till I finish the stock in the film cannisters.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Oh ok! Thanks for all the input bro! Perhaps I will use zip lock and seal them up.. Another lesson learned...