Country
    Singapore

Procedure in setting up new planted tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi to all Bros here,

Please assist me in setting up a new planted tank.

Is base fertiliser a definitely a must, must?

When plants are planted, water added, how much co2 must I input in the 1st 2-3 weeks or so?

As for water change, should I do weekly 20% water change like usual fish keeping?

How abt adding super BB powder for cycling of water for new tank, is it necessary?

When do I start to add in the fishes?

How abt air pump? is it necessary?

Please help.

Many, many thanks.
    Cheers
    CFP

Feedback Score
    Images
    Hi Fleekk!

You can refer to this http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...threadid=98921 for some pointers.

The past is HISTORY... the future is MYSTERY

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Bro,

Thanks for the info.

But how abt the steps to setting up........
    Cheers
    CFP

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    maybe u can do here search here...
    there are many posts regarding abt this topic...
    Every obstacle presents an opportunity to improve our condition.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Refer to this site:
    http://www.vectrapoint.com/main/manual/manual.html

Following answers is just my personal experience, does not apply to all tank:

Q:Is base fertiliser a definitely a must, must?
    A: Yes

Q:When plants are planted, water added, how much co2 must I input in the 1st 2-3 weeks or so?
    A: Buy a long term CO2 indicator kit. Start from 1 sec 1 bubble. Increase dosage gradully.

Q:As for water change, should I do weekly 20% water change like usual fish keeping?
    A: My tank has very high plant to fish ratio so I just top up water evaporated. Never change water since beginning

Q:How abt adding super BB powder for cycling of water for new tank, is it necessary?
    A: No comment

Q: When do I start to add in the fishes?
    A: One or two days after run in. Start with one or two fishes. Increase bioload gradually.

Q:How abt air pump? is it necessary?
    A: I don't use air pump as plant has supply sufficient oxygen. However someone turn on at night to prevent co2 poisoning.

Hope that helps

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Q:Is base fertiliser a definitely a must, must?
    A: Not a must. But stems/rosette plants defintely benefits more from base fert.

Q:When plants are planted, water added, how much co2 must I input in the 1st 2-3 weeks or so?
    A: Balance your KH and PH to achieve a good co2 concentration. Read the Aquaria FAQ forum in AQ for more details.

Q:As for water change, should I do weekly 20% water change like usual fish keeping?
    A: It is recommendable, although some have longer interval and different amount changed. Waste, toxic, and any other element build up over time. Changing the water serves to dilute this build up. They do not evaporate like water does and thus, will not reduced by topping up.

Q:How abt adding super BB powder for cycling of water for new tank, is it necessary?
    A: You do not need them for planted tank. Follow the general direction of cycling your tank and you will be ok.

Q: When do I start to add in the fishes?
    A: This should be mentioned in the FAQ. Take your time. It can span from 1 week to 1-2 months, provided you have patience.

Q:How abt air pump? is it necessary?
    A: If you inject Co2, the answer is no. Air pump will cause turblence at the water surface which increases exchanges of gases, both escaped or absorbed. Co2 escapes from the water fairly easily.

I am sure you are aware that, air pump does not add oxygen to the water in those bubbles form. It is through the increased gas exchange at the water surface that helps more gas to be absorbed into the water column, including the abundant o2 in the atmosphere.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Have you read this post in the Aquatic FAQ?
    Things needed to start a planted tank by Vinz
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Hi Fleekk!

You can refer this article for some cost idea ....
    http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...threadid=54085
    The past is HISTORY... the future is MYSTERY

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi to all Bros,

A big thank you for all the infos given.

One thing to find out, what are the plants that require to have fertiliser, as I heard a lot of high steming plants or long rooted plants? Any examples? What abt moses, do take need fertiliser base?

Anyone recently (this 1-2 weeks)been to NA? I wish to plant those long leave like lalang in his shop, do that need fertiliser base?

Many, many thanks.[]
    Cheers
    CFP

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ALL plants need fertiliser, although different species have their own take-up rates. If you have read the FAQs, you will note that many people use both base as well as liquid fertilisers, as some plants feed better from the roots while others prefer feeding from the water.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The "lallang" you are eyeing at NA are varieties of vallisneria. There are many types, most grow pretty tall (45-60cm or more). They spread very fast in the right conditions and might require frequent pruning or they will overrun your tank. You might want to do a search to read up on them to see if they are suitable for your needs.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    NA uses an acrylic strip embedded in the gravel to prevent the "lallang" from growing all over the tank, so be warned [:]
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/30/2003 12:15:31 PM

One thing to find out, what are the plants that require to have fertiliser, as I heard a lot of high steming plants or long rooted plants? Any examples? What abt moses, do take need fertiliser base?
    ----------------
    As long as there are roots, the plants will make use of fertilizer found under the soil bed. Even bog plants like anubias sp (eg nana) and java ferns will extend their roots into the gravel when left near, of course, the gravel bed.

When the plants are delibrately left/grown out of the soil, they will take up nutrients from the water column. The growth result, of course, cannot be compared when they are planted into the gravel.

Without roots, do you think the mosses can reach the base fertilizer? Unless it is leeching.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/1/2003 12:43:13 AM

Without roots, do you think the mosses can reach the base fertilizer? Unless it is leeching.

----------------
    ?? I don't think moss have roots. They use something else the name of which I'm sure budak will know
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Should be called a rhizoid :

1. A slender rootlike filament by which mosses, liverworts, and fern gametophytes attach to the substratum and absorb nourishment.
    2. A rootlike extension of the thallus of a fungus.

Disclaimer - I'm not budak
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Mmmmmm...anubias and java fern have weak root structures and are not really meant for nutrient uptake but for clinging on purpose. Foliar uptake is the way nutrients are being absorbed for this type of plants. Substrate uptake is not vital provided the water column is fertile enough and is the easy way plants get access to nutrients. It is only when the water column nutrient is limited would they channel their energy to the roots for nutrients.

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, there are always exceptions. Rhizoids of several species of Riccia (e.g. R. fluitans) are believed to used solely for nutrient absorption. That's probably due to the fact that the plants are engineered to work differently - They have air chambers that enable them to float so the rhizoids have no use for a mechanism to cling onto surfaces.

To clarify : Anubias and Microsorium pteropus (java fern) have rhizomes (that creep) and roots (that clings). I have yet to read of any references to rhizoids for these plants.
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/1/2003 12:56:15 AM

----------------
    On 12/1/2003 12:43:13 AM

----------------
    ?? I don't think moss have roots. They use something else the name of which I'm sure budak will know
    ----------------
    Yes choy, , I was actually saying, the moss has no roots, therefore unable to reach the base ferilizer.

-------------------------------------------------------
    From a paragraph in "Mosses "
    By Sharon Fabian
    -------------------------------------------------------
    What are mosses? Mosses are part of a group of primitive plants called bryophytes. They are called primitive because they go way back to the Paleozoic era, and also because they do not have the same structures as more modern plants. Mosses do not have real roots. Instead they have structures called rhizoids that may be only one cell thick, about as thick as a piece of thread. Mosses also do not have a system to transport water up their stems like other plants do. So mosses are usually small and low to the ground. They do have stems and leaves.

Read more here
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    sorry my comprehension not so good, but at least I got my posting count up, must catch up with Sherwin, he says "let my horse come" []