Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which colour temperature of T5 tubes to combine for maximum plant development?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Question Which colour temperature of T5 tubes to combine for maximum plant development?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi fellows. I am going to have a 2-tube T5 light fixture installed over my 2-feet tank. I'd read elsewhere on the Internet that good leaf development/growth relies on blue light & stem elongation relies on red light. I have a couple of questions with regards to this subject:

Question1: is the above statement accurate?

Question2: is "red" light around 7000K colour temperature while "blue" light is 8000K colour temperature?

Question3: I have already chosen ATI Pro Color as my "red" light, but I am clueless which ATI tube to use as my suplementary "blue" light, i.e. ATI - Aquablue Special, ATI Blue Plus, ATI Actinic or even ATI Purple Plus?

Will appreciate some information & guidance regarding my uncertainties above. Thanks.

P.S. Visual aesthetics isn't the current focus of the tank setup yet; maximum, quality plant growth is (& will be for the very-near-future).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Which colour temperature of T5 tubes to combine for maximum plant development?

Somewhat correct. It is not blue or red "light". Rather it is the blue or red "spectrum" of the light. Like a rainbow there are 7 colors to make white light. Plants can only absorb at blue and red spectrum. Warm tone lights around 4000K have the highest red spectrum. While 6000 - 7000K have more blue spectrum. Actually for plants, any lighting above 6500K is a waste unless you are doing marine tank which needs above 8000K. For plants too high light conditions above 6500k will result in algae (expecially blue green algae).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Which colour temperature of T5 tubes to combine for maximum plant development?

Am i right to say my chrisstmas moss is not growing well becos i m using aqua sonic 12000 K light In my tank. Plse help becos I m wondering why is the moss growing slowly n is brownish despite co2 n fertilsation

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

moss is low light plant. It will turn brownish when exposed to direct high light. When I say low light, it should be grown shaded or at sides of tank. Same for anubias, java ferns

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I m using 2x18w 12000k for a 64 ltr tank tat works out to about 2.1W/gallon. I tot this is consider optimal lighting for growing Christmas moss? Like ome views n opinions.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

i not so sure. but my 1 ft tank with spiky,mini taiwan,weeping,mini pelia,mini fissiden. all growing well under t5 12k light 2 tubes for 8hrs per day without chiller. But I do on aircon at night. probably 27-29C in the day
    still learning the hard way!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Neondagger View Post
    i not so sure. but my 1 ft tank with spiky,mini taiwan,weeping,mini pelia,mini fissiden. all growing well under t5 12k light 2 tubes for 8hrs per day without chiller. But I do on aircon at night. probably 27-29C in the day

No algae issue?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

not for now. 2months tank so far. well have narrow leaf java fern also.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

not for now. 2months tank so far. well have narrow leaf java fern also.
    so fast 2 months? felt like only 1 month has passed...
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ryanchong View Post
    Am i right to say my chrisstmas moss is not growing well becos i m using aqua sonic 12000 K light In my tank. Plse help becos I m wondering why is the moss growing slowly n is brownish despite co2 n fertilsation
    How long have you kept them? You might want to check your temperature, IMHO temperature plays important role if you want to keep pretty moss...

please note your "Plse"should be Please & "becos" should be because. Does your browser have auto correct? "Priest la" Firefox underlines so many of your words....

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    so fast 2 months? felt like only 1 month has passed...

Well first month without shrimps. My sakura shrimps in there 1month. So 2months lor.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well first month without shrimps. My sakura shrimps in there 1month. So 2months lor.
    So today test your new toy ok?
    Expecting good pictures.

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yes felix requested.

I using T5HO light. 6-8watts per tube? probably 16W. 12K for each tube. Aquazonic.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

In the end I had to ditch the Aquazonic T5 because one of the tubes wouldnt switch on anymore - assuming that part is messed up, so currently using Kenis 13 6500k Watts again. I could say it makes a difference with the colour since my mosses grew somehow faster as compared to the T5 (even when the tank received co2/ferts)

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by diazman View Post
    In the end I had to ditch the Aquazonic T5 because one of the tubes wouldnt switch on anymore - assuming that part is messed up, so currently using Kenis 13 6500k Watts again. I could say it makes a difference with the colour since my mosses grew somehow faster as compared to the T5 (even when the tank received co2/ferts)

Growing better. And faster in chilled water rather than co2 or strong light

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

You mean to say the T5s from AquaZonic ain't dishing out 6500K type of colour temperature?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Lol, you got lucky.. it's a brand new tube? maybe the connection not good. i have some problem with my T5, one of the connector need to turn around and then it turns on... maybe need correct angle..

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Bro from my experiences with moss. Moss grow better in chilled water. I grew them in t5 light and led. The result the same. But my outside tank do grow like siao. Sunlight FTW. You can try add a fan or a chiller if possible you find your moss will be nicer. Moss grow in every condition. Let me show you later how easy moss are.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

This are the spare moss I got. I no tank to put. So I just put it beside my window. My bro alway let down the curtain so it's mostly partial lights and the room light. No water change all capped so probably no new air but still alive for about 1.5months.
    Last time I bought weeping moss on driftwood. I place it in my balcony tank. after 1 week all from green become brown. but new sprout grew the next week and the new sprout were green.
    Normally moss take 1-2 weeks to get used to the tank condition. So there will be some browning but when it get used. It will grow no matter what. So dun worry so much. some browning at the start is normal

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    Lol, you got lucky.. it's a brand new tube? maybe the connection not good. i have some problem with my T5, one of the connector need to turn around and then it turns on... maybe need correct angle..
    Brand new set and tubes even felt like i wasted my money on the lightset. Realised when i reached home after school, one of the tubes did not lit up, tried meddling with the connection and end result - set is dead.

Been looking for a proper light set for quite some time already, lighting a 36 cm tank isnt that easy.

Advice from boss Felix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast