28 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

A question of Extension Plugs

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, i currently have 2 tanks running in my bed room, but my bed room only got 1 main electric point.

So i extend it by using 1 X Extension plug (soap bar) and from that extension plug, i extended another extension plug.

So it kind of look like this [Main socket] ------> [Extension plug] -------> [Extension plug]

As i am currently running out of sockets to plug in my new high tech tank, i am thinking of adding 1 more extension plug to the overall layout.

1) May i ask if the whole thing will short circuit or trip?

My idea now is to do this [Main socket] ----> [Extension plug] -----> [Extension Plug] X2 - which means i will extend 2 more extension plug onto the first extension plug directly from the main electric socket.

Another way of extending is [Main socket] ----> [Extension plug] -----> [Extension Plug] ----> [Extension plug]

Is this workable? and may i know which way of extension is better and safer? - i currently have 2 X 2ft tank, running with 1 X UPS Hang on Canister 1 X Gex Slim HOF, 2 X T5HO Hopar 4 Tubes light set, 1 X Dymanx Vortex fan, 1 X Co2 system.

Please do leave your comment as i wont want my whole house to burn down... or my mum killing me.

(I know this is not about aquatic equipment, but experienced bro, please advise on this set up, if it doesnt work, may i check how i can set it up with a total of 3 X extension plug and only 1 X Main socket)

Thank you!
    Been awhile since i last kept shrimps/ fishes, please give me your kind guidance!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: A question of Extension Plugs

As far as I know, it is not about how many extension plug but the total electrical load that main socket can handle. You might be lucky the 2 you have has not cause any problem yet. How long can you wager before an electrical fire start?
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yes it is about the load rather than the number of extensions (thought, the more extensions, the load tends to be higher)
    Based on my understanding, unless a separate cable is laid from external the circuit breaker outside the home to the room adding another wall socket is as good as using extension.
    - eric

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Well, im running quite a heavy load i guess but i do not turn everything on at once haha.

From wall socket
    -> 2 way plug split into

1 ) -> 4 way plug -> 2 x 2ft tank ( running 1 airpump, 2 OHF , 1 light ) .
    2 ) -> 5 way plug -> 1 point into a 4 way ( 2 pin plug outlet that includes 2 airpump, 2lights )

3 point goes to 1 co2 , 1 external canister filter, free 1 space
    1 point goes to a single extendable plug which plug in my laptop/phone charger/pc speaker.

But so far no problem as i dont on all at the same thing tho certain stuff is on 24/7.

ps. No aircon in the room.
    Last edited by edw7636; 18th Nov 2011 at 20:11.
    Getting poison everyday

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Oh, thanks for the input bro! But hmm.. What's the total load ina hdb ehh...?
    Been awhile since i last kept shrimps/ fishes, please give me your kind guidance!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Not sure about the total load,but i believe whole house load if can reduce, then its better.

For me, like night time living room no other person is using . all lights off.
    My parents on their tv in their room and fans/light.
    Kitchen lights out if no people using etc.

just my 2 cents.
    Getting poison everyday

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Lol ... I am quite afraid of the dark... On all lights when I am at home ...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Bro Alex, you mentioned high tech setup but I do not see chiller in your list of equipment? IMHO, the chiller is the biggest power load in a setup. If you do not have a chiller, then you're probably safe.

But to be extra safe, you need to learn how to calculate your load.

A single wall plug can take 13Amp of current. Our wall plugs are all at 220V.
    Its not very accurate to convert to wattage this way, but a good estimate is to multiply 220 & 13 to get the max wattage which is 2860watt.

Now, go and read all your equipment's specs. They should all come with a wattage or amperage value. To make things easy, convert any amp value into watts by multiplying by 220.
    If it adds up to more than 2500watts, then you better beware. Check all the extensions and plugs for heat because depending on quality, these components may not be able to handle the full 13 amps.
    This is especially the case for those 3-ways multi-plugs that lets you plug in from top, bottom and front. I've come across some that only can take 7amp and because all the plug are clustered together, the heat gets concentrated and can cause fires.

The bar soap type of extensions are a little safer, as they normally have built in circuit breakers and are able to take 13 amp (unless you buy those cheapo ones without the safety tick stickers), and the plugs are spaced apart.

If the draw is above 13amp, your should experience a trip, so its unlikely you're having that now.

Also note that as equipment gets older or during the first few seconds of it turning on (eg. chiller kick in, lights firing up), the amperage draw may be higher than specs, so don't max out your 13amps on one wall socket.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ok bro! Thank u for the advice. I can't afford a chiller, hence dont have it. Better go and count my total watt later...