Thread: Nano Tank

Feedback Score

Nano Tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Guyz,

I've started 2 nano tanks. 1 at home and another in the office. does anyone ever tried this before ? I've seen many of them in some LFS on display and am advise that they are more difficult to maintain due to the water volume.

Anyone care to put some light into this topis and help start a thread for would be starters ?

Thanks and Cheers

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    just from my own experience, if you stock and feed lightly and fill the tank with lots of plants, you don't need a filter/fan/whatnot at all, just a single light (i use the clip-on 11W PL holder sold at some LFS). I just do a 1/3 water change every 2 weeks (with a couple of drops of LushGrow Aqua) for my 20 cm shrimp and boraras maculata tank at home, and it's the most troublefree of all my setups.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    becareful those clip-on lights are not very secure, the plastic clips and screws can come loose and your light could fall into the water. I use those 1ft light with two adjustable legs. For 20cm tank you can let the light jut out over the sides a bit, but safer.

especially for office tanks, you don't want to create a fire hazard for your employer!
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have also just started a 5 gal tank about 1 month ago. I chose slow growing plants, like Anubias barteri var. nana & Microsorum pteropus "Windeløv", for this tank to minimise maintenance. It has a 20W halogen lamp (probably equiv. to ~7W FL), no CO2 injection & no filter. It houses 7 T. espei.

So far, there is no need for trimming and fertilisation is only done weekly. I perform a weekly water change because the driftwood I used is still constantly leaching out tanins staining the water brown. I guess if the wood stop staining the water I could cut my water change down to once every 2-3 weeks. It is relatively easy for maintenace.

IMO, the amount of maintenance required very much depends on your plant selection and light level. A low bioload will definitely help reducing the maintenance.

BTW, I realised that you posted this topic in the fishkeeping section. I wonder if you intend to keep plants in the tank. I would recommend you to keep some easy plants because plants will help absorbed harmful stuff like NH3 that is released by fish wastes and maintain water quality.

BC

Feedback Score
    Hi guyz,

Anyway for the benefit for any of the 'would be' nano tank starters, here is my humble contribution on my 2 tanks :

Nano Tank 1 (office)

Dimension : 15.5cm x 10cm x 16cm
    Water Perimeter : Unknown - never did bother to test them out, but the tank is under an air conditioned room (should be around 25C ?)
    Plants : Glosso, Java Ferns, Java Moss
    Fish : 2 Gold tetra, 2 Emperor Tetra
    Light : None...using the existing room light....yeah yeah I know is in adequate []
    Water Change : Every 3rd Day...don't tell my boss..

Nano Tank 1 (Home-Study)

Dimension : 38.5cm x 30cm x 38cm
    Temperature : 39C
    PH : 6.5
    lights : 2 x PL lights about 30cm(wattage ?)...anyway not those clipon type.
    CO2 : DIY type with glass twirl diffuser
    Plants : Hair Grsss, Glosso, Java Ferns, Java Moss, Green Lotus
    Fish : 25 Cardinal, 2 Emperor Tetra, 2 ballon Ram, 2 common otos, 2 zebra otos, 20 mosquito shrimps, 20 yamato shrimps, 1 threadfin Pleco.
    Water Change : Weekly 1/3, with Denerrel E15 (Half) and no fert yet as tamk not mature.
    Subsrate : Dennerel Deponit 1 inches w/ another inch of Dennerel Black sand
    Age : 2 weeks .... another 2 - 3 months to wait for maturity ....

Feedback Score
    Oh... I like to aplogies that I've should have posted this in Planted Tank cloumn rather than fish... My apologies...If moderator could help, will very much appreciate it.

Cheers

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    No lights for your office tank... your glosso may not make it. The java fern and java moss may be ok though... maybe just. Change water every 3 days? Thats not my idea of low maintenance.

I foresee that the lotus overwhelming the tank when it matures.

BC

Feedback Score
    [quote]
    ----------------
    On 12/1/2003 11:46:26 AM

No lights for your office tank... your glosso may not make it. The java fern and java moss may be ok though... maybe just. Change water every 3 days? Thats not my idea of low maintenance.

I foresee that the lotus overwhelming the tank when it matures.

BC
    ----------------
    Hi BC,

Thanks for the comment. Well, I do know that the office tank is running a little lack 'sunshine'. As my tank is located next a glass window behind me and the sunlight is acceptable to MHO, I'll leave the curtain open slightly so that the morning and after light do come into the tank. Let see how it perform. K?
    Water change on this nano wis carried out by siphoning the water to a used tumbler via an air hose, and replenish the water by pass through a little netted sieve. A done in a ziffy...say 5 minutes ? (less the time going to the toilet for daily ritual)... []

As for the green lotus in the other nano, I have only enuff space to a solitaire. Lets see how this entity perform, eh ?

Cheers

Feedback Score
    Hi guys.

Its me again, well I've found a mini side filter at Rainbow manufactured by Alife. LIts currently able to clip on to the office tank (imagine how small the filter is !) and its working wonders ! It look so cute and its priced at $15 ..though you could bargain down...I did... For those 'would be' nano tank starters, well we do have a suitable avaible now ! and the flow rate could be adjusted. It just can't cease to amaze me with that little tank in the office having a little clip on filter !!

Cheers

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What is the dimension of the Alife filter and can you post a photo of the filter ?

Thanks
    If you are into Nature, check out the new NSS Nature Forum.
    See my Nature photos and Butterfly Blog

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Checked with Rainbow and was told it is out of stock Anybosy know where I can buy the Alife mini side filter ?

Feedback Score
    My colleague also bought one of these from C328, but not sure if it is out of stock at the moment. Maybe it'll be better to call them to check.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/26/2003 9:58:51 AM

My colleague also bought one of these from C328, but not sure if it is out of stock at the moment. Maybe it'll be better to call them to check.
    ----------------
    You are right, I was at C328 and saw it there :
    - Alife 15 (AE-10-15) Bio-Filtering. $9.00