Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Need help with my low tech tank...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Need help with my low tech tank...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all...

I have a 1.5ft tank (maybe about a few cms shorter than 1.5ft). I have nana plants in it, and marimo balls. I started the tank last Friday, and have noticed that there's a dust like substance on the plants and my marimos are slowly turning white.

I have a fan to make the water cool (it's at about 28-29 degs), an 8w light (turned on 8 hours a day, with a two hour interval in between; 4:2:4), 3-4mm gravel and a black sponge filter. I top up the water each time the water level in the tank drops. Read I shouldn't change the water in the tank until it's cycled.

I also have a dolphin 3000 hang on back filter, but it's currently running in my already established goldfish tank. Im seeding the filter media with bacteria from my established tank. I'll probably fit the hob filter a month later as I've only just had it running in the established tank a few days back.

Read that the dust I see in the tank are from the drift wood? And it'll clear after time? I cleaned the plants out properly before setting up the tank. Swished in dechlorinated water in a pail.

Anyway, after I started my tank on Friday, I've seen dust on my plants. Three days later I added a leopard Cory to get the cycle running. I don't have tests...so I just do everything without it. Same goes for my goldfish tank which I've had since June this year.

Today, I just couldn't stand the dust, and washed my plants in dechlorinated water. Much of the dust got washed off, some are being circled by the current in the tank. However, I didn't rub the leaves and just swished them in the pail of dechlorinated water. So some of the leaves still has dust on them. My black sponge filter is white from filtering the dust. My drift wood that the nana is tied to is turning dusty white in a small area.

What should I do? Tear the tank down and clean it up again? Or leave it? I'm in desperate need of your expertise...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Need help with my low tech tank...

Erm a cycling should do wc as usual to remove the ammonia etc.

And since you have added the livestock in. Wc is needed I think.

Just asking is there any waterflow in your tank?

Maybe a picture to show us?
    Getting poison everyday

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

picture will help to tell
    Marimo turn white means possible withering and rotting away

the dust look like white web ? or cotton ?

You mention current .. what is it .. a submerged filter?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Water is clear. I'm using a black sponge filter. Ok I also use coloured gravel, purple gravel (just in case you were thinking, "which guy puts purple gravel in his tank!". I'm not a guy, and purple is my favourite colour. ). Could coloured gravel cause the problem? But I washed it well, and the "dust" only appeared 3 days later.

Remember I said white marimo balls? Well white wouldn't be the right description for it. I would say it's a lighter shade of green compared to deep dark green...they look less faded today after the rinse of the plants and the balls. But definitely a lighter shade than the rest.

Also the dust is neither webby by or cottony...it's specks...tiny dots. Those that washed off are gone. The ones that are still on needs to be rubbed off by hand I think. Some that were washed off clumped together and became bigger specks.

Pics of dust and tank for you to look at:

Tank:
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c7...m/8d5ba13d.jpg
    Marimo Balls:
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c7...m/fe2a412e.jpg
    Dust on leaves and drift wood:
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c7...m/cc8d3851.jpg
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c7...m/a7a616e7.jpg
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c7...m/2accd730.jpg

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Did you rinse the pebbles before putting into tank? I believe the pebbles are white and coated in color .. the powdery debris could be from it

Also may suggest to add more fine gravel .. to 4 cm thick, when the fish start to poo or feed, they sink into the bottom glass, then will be problem for bottom feeder to eat them

I am not sure how your filter sponge works? Its suppose to suck the surrounding water into the sponge and up into the inlet pipe and thru the filter
    How come its not connected and there's a bubble airstone in it?

Take out that marimo in a container and put into the fridge lower deck for 1/2 a day or few times, see if it turns dark green and healthy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by marimo View Post
    Did you rinse the pebbles before putting into tank? I believe the pebbles are white and coated in color .. the powdery debris could be from it

Also may suggest to add more fine gravel .. to 4 cm thick, when the fish start to poo or feed, they sink into the bottom glass, then will be problem for bottom feeder to eat them

I am not sure how your filter sponge works? Its suppose to suck the surrounding water into the sponge and up into the inlet pipe and thru the filter
    How come its not connected and there's a bubble airstone in it?

Take out that marimo in a container and put into the fridge lower deck for 1/2 a day or few times, see if it turns dark green and healthy
    My filter is this kind: http://m2.sourcingmap.com/smapimg/en...um-123563n.jpg

I'll try the fridge suggestion...thanks but if I return it to the tank...won't it start fading again?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I was wondering why dont you just seed the sponge filter in your gold fish tank 1st?
    or just bag a few items from the gold fish tank like pebble, stone, whatever in this new tank

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I'm already seeding my overhead filter in the goldfish tank...this sponge filter is to circulate the water in my small tank...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

erm I dont think the sponge filter that you posted the picture can circulate the tank. You need a spray/rain bar or submerge powerhead to get the current going in the tank.

The sponge filter is for sucking those small particles only but when you do cleaning,the particale that sticks to it will come off once you remove from the tank.

Its better for the plants if you have a current flowing in the tank as it will enable the plants to absorb the co2 more efficiently.
    Getting poison everyday

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The "dust" can be anything, but you can suspect bacterial bloom, since you say it returns after washing. The only way is to wait it out. It will get a lot worse and then one day it will just disappear. You can put your HOB filter onto this tank already imho, bacteria doesn't take that long to adhere to media. The fact that you have plants in there already shortens the typical cycling period for new tanks.

No idea on the marimos

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Dust is from the gravel.
    If you only lightly rinsed the pior to filling it. That will explain.

Try cleaning the sponge filter everyday, since you have a main HOF. It will go away given some time.

Hopefully, you will see lesser dust as day go by.

Nice colour gravel. I like purple too.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks everyone...couldn't log in to my thread. Updates: tank is doing fine after I totally cleaned the tank out, washing leaf by leaf. After that I more or less knew the existing bacteria is knocked out. So I took the hang on back filter and put it in the tank (|squee|, that's what I thought too! lol!). Water is crystal clear! Yippy!

Felix: purple is nice, but seems like it had faded a lil...more white, but still purple...

Btw, can anyone tell me if I should get floating plants like frog bits or water lettuce? And where can I get them from?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Always check out the market place first as there are always some nice bros giving away free plants
    Getting poison everyday

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by melthazor View Post
    Thanks everyone...couldn't log in to my thread. Updates: tank is doing fine after I totally cleaned the tank out, washing leaf by leaf. After that I more or less knew the existing bacteria is knocked out. So I took the hang on back filter and put it in the tank (|squee|, that's what I thought too! lol!). Water is crystal clear! Yippy!

Felix: purple is nice, but seems like it had faded a lil...more white, but still purple...

Btw, can anyone tell me if I should get floating plants like frog bits or water lettuce? And where can I get them from?
    Like that is artificial color on the gravel. It will slowly go away as the color fade.

Frogbit never seen before in lfs by me. Many fourmer give out every now and then. ( like me lol wasted to throw.)

C328 sell water lettuce $0.80 to $2.

If salvaina natans I give you. I got tons.

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hey Felix, I don't mind those salvaina natans if you have some to give away.

Wanna ask you about potting soil, read in other threads that you have some knowledge. I'm thinking of setting up a super small tank for a friend of mine. But it's gonna be super low tech without filtration as her mom will mind if she uses eletricticty for the tank. I don't think it'll have light, except natural window light and no co2 unless I make a DIY for her.

I'm thinking of using soil, but I don't wanna pay too much for those aquarium grade ones. I have fine gravel, which will cover the soil. What soil can I get, and how should I prepare the soil for the tank? Also, what plants can I have for the super low tech setup? Will I be able to add fish or shrimps in next time if I use potting soil? Can the shrimps and fish last without filtration? Im looking at maybe 2 fish (cardinals) and maybe 5 shrimps or less?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by edw7636 View Post
    Always check out the market place first as there are always some nice bros giving away free plants
    Thanks I'll be sure to keep a look out...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by melthazor View Post
    Hey Felix, I don't mind those salvaina natans if you have some to give away.

Wanna ask you about potting soil, read in other threads that you have some knowledge. I'm thinking of setting up a super small tank for a friend of mine. But it's gonna be super low tech without filtration as her mom will mind if she uses eletricticty for the tank. I don't think it'll have light, except natural window light and no co2 unless I make a DIY for her.

I'm thinking of using soil, but I don't wanna pay too much for those aquarium grade ones. I have fine gravel, which will cover the soil. What soil can I get, and how should I prepare the soil for the tank? Also, what plants can I have for the super low tech setup? Will I be able to add fish or shrimps in next time if I use potting soil? Can the shrimps and fish last without filtration? Im looking at maybe 2 fish (cardinals) and maybe 5 shrimps or less?
    Hi melthazor,

Anytime you need just pop me an sms. Search forum for my number + postal. (do quote who you are when you sms/whatapp)

For her with mon minding. It will be daunting task to do. If the indirect light is ok (very hard to define sufficient in this case) likely java ferns or crypt based.

As for filtration, only if adequate plants are present you "may" consider that. Bb takes very long to build up for tanks in this manner.

Livestock will be need to cap at 2-3 small fish and 3-4 shrimp (hardy ones like cherry and Malayan.)

Semi-Active currently