Singapore

Shrimp Help !

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys

I am new to shrimp and would like to seek some answers from anyone

1) I purchase 20 Cherry/Sakura Shrimps yesterday. During molting, some could molt successfully while some could not and died. 2 managed to molt and 2 of them died as they could not molt. What is happening ? Does it mean that my gH level is high. I could not get a test kit because i am having exam now. But i tried to add distilled water 10% to lower the gH. Is this a natural thing like some weak one will die or something in wrong

2) I bought an Otto fish, and he was super active like swimming all over the place and shocking my shrimp. Because the tank is new so there is no aglae hence it will snatch some food from my shrimp. Should i remove it or let it be because it is just too hyper active.

Please advise . Thank a million
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Shrimp Help !

Your tank looks small..and you managed to house 20..squeezy much?
    Death to shrimps are attributed to several factors..if it is molting problems it should be gh problem(either too low or too high).

did you cycle your tank well? Test kit is required if you want to keep shrimps. The weak ones might die but not necessary .. it could be your water causing them to eventually pass on. Cherry is relatively hardy and if they dies, it could mean your water do have some problem. please test your water and post your parameters here ..so that we can help you further.
    Aspiring to be.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you for your quick reply

I will get it tomorrow as my house fish shop did not sell. From what i read in this forum, if they molt successfully but died after they molt mean gH lvl is low so got inflected. If they died because of failure to molt mean gH lvl too high. That why i bought distilled water to top up. Just dun understand why some could molt while some could not.

Ya i agree is a little squeeze. I wanted to buy 10 shrimps from this forum but the uncle only sell it in 20 and is only $4 so i just bought it. When it is stable, i will remove some. Beside gH level, what else do i need for my small tank?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

did u cycle the tank properly? whats your ammonia
    still learning the hard way!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I dun know how to check ammonia ? Can you please advise ? still noob here =)

Actually, i know that we must cycle at least 1 week but i read the forum and some said that less than a week will do as cherry are hardy so could adapt better. For me, i only cycle 4 days and added with mineral water. I today remove 10 % and add distilled water to reduce the gH.

Still learning the hard way for me =(

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Check for ammonia using test kits. We normally cycle for 1 month to be safe. Are you sure your gH is low to continue trying to reduce it?
    Aside from that, what is your pH level of water? Your tank water has it be dechlorinated or dechloramined using proper products?
    What is the temperature of the tank? Cherries though hardy might not be able to take a sudden hike in temperature during hot weathers.
    What size is your tank? What sort of filtration? What sort of substrate?
    Last edited by Jianyuan; 28th Nov 2011 at 01:57.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Actually will alot of will to depend on your setup.

What soil, filter, water parameters, etc...

In most cases for a new setup, I guess 1 month of water cycle is minimum.

I'm also in the stage of learning from all senior right here.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Your gravel did you test are they inert? = will they raise gh? due to the size of tank with that amount it will be crazy in parameter within a few days
    Those rock or stone again inert?? = same as above
    FIlteration? info?
    cycling 4 days? not enough to build BB = did you use any market BB liquid or powder? min. 2 weeks.
    hardy or not you should not load that much piece in your tank considering your tank have no BB to start a sudden load will increase the ammonia in the tank.

My opinion too small to have so many shrimp at 1 go without doing a proper cycle. Hardy or not still will kill them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi guys

Thank for your quick reply .. Appreciated

I didnt do any test .. The tank is bought from crs haven at tamp. He introduce me this thing call BacterMax and it said to stablise the water and help in filtration. For the tank is a combine set. The filter is something like 2 white sponge at the point the water follow out of the filter .. Is a simple set. The Gravel is some black shiny stones that main purpose is to make the shrimp looks nice. Not soil because i am not having crs ..

Ya the shrimps are overloading because i bought from a guy in this forum and he only sell at 20. I think I am the last few customers so he just gave me more than 20 plus ..LOL .. i will remove some once everything is stable .. So far today i woke up, no death from molting and they were happily moving around .. The Otto fish is more calm now .. and the snails are moving around ...

I will get the test kit tomorrow after my final exam .. How to reduce ammonia ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by chansl View Post
    Hi guys

Thank for your quick reply .. Appreciated

I didnt do any test .. The tank is bought from crs haven at tamp. He introduce me this thing call BacterMax and it said to stablise the water and help in filtration. For the tank is a combine set. The filter is something like 2 white sponge at the point the water follow out of the filter .. Is a simple set. The Gravel is some black shiny stones that main purpose is to make the shrimp looks nice. Not soil because i am not having crs ..

Ya the shrimps are overloading because i bought from a guy in this forum and he only sell at 20. I think I am the last few customers so he just gave me more than 20 plus ..LOL .. i will remove some once everything is stable .. So far today i woke up, no death from molting and they were happily moving around .. The Otto fish is more calm now .. and the snails are moving around ...

I will get the test kit tomorrow after my final exam .. How to reduce ammonia ?
    Only cycling and building up the BB you might want to try those lfs selling liquid or powder BB. But frankly hardly help still the best is let it cycle still it drop. As your is a smal setup so building of BB might be fast but the quatity might be slow so it will take time to convert your ammonia....

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

BacterMax is a liquid BB (benifical bacterial). Just dose it according to the instructions to help speed up your cycling.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Where to buy frogbits and gH tester? my 2 LFS never sell

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Was at Green Chapter, there's Sera gH test kit there. Can get mini lettuce or hornworts from there, not sure about the frogbits though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Is there any online shop that you guys recommend for me to purchase everything including frogbits .. i know some america online shops got sell everything but dun know can trust a not

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Is there any online shop that you guys recommend for me to purchase everything including frogbits .. i know some america online shops got sell everything but dun know can trust a not

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

oh there are so many lfs in singapore why will you want to buy from america?
    Aspiring to be.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

But i stay in East and many in the East LFS caanot make it .. only tamp crs haven is good but expensive .. that why asking for alternatives

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Try Petmart @ serangoon north, or seaview @ seletar farmway then, nearest to you. Purchasing online will be even more expensive due to the delivery either in singapore or overseas.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

i agree with bro Jianyuan, there are also alot of good lfs in the east. already stated above by bro JY.. No point purchasing online, it is just going to be more expensive with the shipping..
    Aspiring to be.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

ok bros .. Thank .. i think i will go to blk c328 fish shop .. after my paper since nus is near

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast