Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Aggressive Apistogramma cacatuoides

Feedback Score

Aggressive Apistogramma cacatuoides

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My friend got a pair of Apisto Cactoudies and a pair of Apisto Agassizzi. In just 2 weeks, it ate up 150pcs of medium size Cardinal Tetras and Killed 1 small Altum Angel(NO JOKE AND ALL TRUE).

Is that the normal behavior of the Apisto? I know it is very territorial but can't be that bad right? Both the Agassizzi is about 2.5 inches and the Cactoudies about 2 inches long.

(Apologize for the mis-spelled name of the fish)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    before I asked anything about your aggressive apistogramma, are there injury markings on those found dead? and how big was your altum? frankly, its too far fetch.. I have experience total wipe out of shrimps.. and nothing else, even maculata and exclamation point rasbora isn't in anyway harm. you sure it's not your water condition? how old is the tank? did you acclimatise them?

Feedback Score
    Hi Simon, the Cardinal bodies are not too be found...at ALL!! Because before the Altum was bought, there was the Cardinal, and the only fish suspected is the Apisto. AND one of them was caught red handed with a dead fish in the mouth AND worst, spat the fish out without the body and chase after another!!

Maybe you can help to explain why this has happen...

Feedback Score
    Sorry forgot to tell you that the Altum is about slightly bigger than a 50cents coin only. Still a Juvenile!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Apistogramma aint known to feast on such fishes, but altums are

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It could be that the cardinals were dying and the Apistos took them for lunch, or that your friend got some psychopath Apistos from God-knows-where.

Explanation (or at least an intelligent guess) is usually provided when there is sufficient amount of useful information, e.g. tank size/volume, when were each type of fishes added, water parameters. Yoda masters, we are not.
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Ok ok....

Size of Tank : 4 x 2 x 2
    Fish : 20 x Harlequin Rasboras, 3 x 3-Line Pencil, 1 x Marble Hatchet, 3 x Altum, SAEs and OTOs, Apistos.

Used to have : 50 Cardinal, 50 Green Neon....

Yamatos were the first to be wiped out, then came the Cardinals.

Tank is about 3 months old...Fishes started to go in only after 1 month of setup.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have seen my Viejita with a boboras maculatus and a shrimp in its mouth! But I think the maculatus is just unfortunate to be in its way when I was feeding[]

. ... but a altum????even if it is smalll????
    ...I love rubies too ...
    Ken

Feedback Score
    I think the Altum could have died of Stress after being chase around. I also notice the other Altums to have their tail bitten alittle off and also their long fins below half gone. The only culprit could be the Apisto lorh..no puffers or anything else agreessive already..

Anyway, the Apistos have been remove except for one more still in Hiding...they cannot wait to take it out and then add in more Cardinals.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    are your apistogrammas breeding? sometimes, they tend to be very aggressive and feud off bigger fishes (altums, discus)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow, 2 pair of apisto vs 150 cardinal!?! May I ask if your friend's tank has matured b4 adding the cardinal?
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    To tell you the truth, I was shock also...
    Yes the tank has already matured before any fish stocks were put in. The tank was done up roughly around End of August. We waitied until the plants were fully grown, and we did like 2 or 3 trimmings before even thinking of putting in the fishes.

Feedback Score
    Hi Simon, they are not breeding as all are males(Friend didn't want to get any females). But the Apisto was put in way back after the prawns, SAEs and OTOs were first released. They actually have their own territory already. Under the wood and at the corners where there is thick vegetation.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Theoretically, it's impossible for 4 apisto to finish 150 cardinal in 2 weeks. 1 apisto simply can't finish 1 cardinal in a day. Cardinal would school if they know that a predator is hunting them. This would distract the apisto to choose a target. And because there are 150 cardinal swimming, I don't think the apisto got any chance to get close to 1. Apisto are mainly mid to bottom feeder and hence could not achieve to swim fast and caught 1 of the cardinal.

There must be something else in your friend's tank. There could be some dragonfly nymph in there( extreme case scenario) or the cardinal population is not healthy( but there should be some cardinal corpse).
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    I know man....i know...Very impossbile also.....

Anyway, until the last one is caught, no other fishes can be added in.