Country
    Singapore

Raising Apistogramma's fries

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi All,

I am very new to (in-fact this is my first time) apistogramma keeping.
    Therefore I seeking advice from everyone on raising apistogramma's fries. Below way of keeping the fries is learnt from Aquanoob post (title: My german ram just laid eggs) as I find they are coming from same family.
    The question I'm going to ask is below is correct way of keeping the fries?

History:
    i) 1st spawing on Oct around 60 fries dead within 1 wk.
    ii) 2nd spawing on Nov around 30 fries dead within 1 wk too.

1st spawing:-
    i) I directly separate the fries with parents after 2 days into a 2L tank (empty).
    ii) Feeding: Liquidfry No.1 - directly drop into the tank. And notice it's a wrong way after reading on Aquanoob posted (title: My German Blue Ram Just lay eggs).
    iii) Changing 50% water daily, & the water is from main tank.

Results (in raising tank):
    Day 1: less than 10 fries die.
    Day 2: 50% of the fries die.
    Day 3: All fries die.

2nd spawing:-
    i) Spotted the fries free swimming (Day 1). Separate all the fishs out and left the parent with the fries. Preparing the 'raising' tank with moss with air pump and fill up the water from main tank.
    ii) After 3 days (fries staying with parent), the fries is separate into the 'raising' tank.
    iii) Start feeding them with Liquidfry No.1 with correct way as mention in Aquanoob post page 4.
    iv) Changing 30% water, daily using main tank water.

Result is same with first spawing (all die within 1 wk).

Fries staying with parent: Should I only separate the fries from parent after 1 wk?
    Food: mainly is Liquidfry No.1. Should I start feeding them with BBS (Baby Brime Shrimp) on first wk? what other food is recommended on first wk?

From above, what I did wrong? Please advice.

*Btw, the female is having 3rd spawing as the male is aggresive & guarding the cave for 2~3 days and the female is inside the cave. Estimate the fries will be free swimming soon. And, I would like to be more preapred for this time.

Thank you in advances.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Raising Apistogramma's fries

Ram's fries are very sensitive to water parameters.
    Try to raise them in their original, move the parents instead.
    Try not to feed too much liquidfry, it will affect the water parameters.
    Henry aka joopsg
    Current tank: 1 4 tier 3ft fish rack
    Livestock: WC Ivanacara Adoketa, WC Apistogramma Kelleri 'Red Cheeks', A , WC Apistogramma Mendezi, WC Apistogramma Cruziero, WC Apistogramma Elizabethae and WC Biotoecus Operularis.

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi bro, your fry-raising tank is too small, 2l only, parameters will be too unstable, too much fluctuation. Considering the number of fry, maybe 1.5 ft, then as they grow you need to upgrade the tank.

Secondly, no need to do so much water change, and no need to change such large amounts each time. Just put a mature sponge filter inside, then change maybe 10% every 2-3 days.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the advice.

I summarise as below:-
    i) Water parameter is not stable. Reduce the number of water change.
    ii) Feeding reduce? According to the Liquidfry description, for 4L tank - 1 drop for 2 to 4 times daily. How much shld I reduce assuming 50 fries?
    Beside Liquidfry (as food), what else is adviceable?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Sharing on how i raise my apisto fries.

1. The best way is to remove the male apisto only instead of the fries. The female will take care of the fries. Also, remove other dither fishes or shrimps.

2. First 3 days , don't need to feed any food to fries. Feed the female adult.

3. Best food to feed baby brine shrimp, microworms or boon to the fries. Don't use Liquid fry food.

4. If your tank properly cycled and filtered, don't need to change so much water. Probably 10-20% will do.

After raising the fries for a few times, next time you will find that getting the right pair and getting them to spawn is the difficult part.