Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: how successful you treat your sick fishes ?

Feedback Score

how successful you treat your sick fishes ?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    as a planted tank keeper, i am a bad fish keeper as i pay more attention to plants than fish. If i spotted the fish appears sick, i just transfer to another container, put liquid medicine, put air pump. Normally the fish will die after few days. If i can't manage to catch the fish in the planted tank, i will let the fish survive by itself. My attitude is rather "don't care" about the death or live of the fish, probably also due to that i have low success rate of curing fish, even before i started planted tank. Really bad huh ? btw, the symptoms i saw were normally swollen / distorted body shape; body upwards.

How serious are you treating your ill fishes ? How frequent you get success ?

Anyway, i believe a good tank should be harmonized between the plants and fishes.

Feedback Score
    I think you should move this thread to "Fishkeeping" so as not to confuse the topic with plant keeping.

Basically you are right, plants and fishes must harmonise. Try buying some expensive fishes like discus and I bet you will start paying attention.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    there are illnesses, like some internal bacterial infections which are no-hopers. for myself, I have had fish recover from white-spot (with just addition of salt and ppartial water changes every 3-4 days until the parasite's life cycle ends) as well as pop-eye (left alone in the tank). I think often, the process of catching the fish and putting it in an alien environment is as fatal as the illness itself.

Feedback Score
    yeah, first i thought of posting in "fishkeeping" section, but then i want to know plant keepers' experience in keeping fish........so please remain here []

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/11/2003 10:13:23 AM

as a planted tank keeper, i am a bad fish keeper as i pay more attention to plants than fish. If i spotted the fish appears sick, i just transfer to another container, put liquid medicine, put air pump. Normally the fish will die after few days. If i can't manage to catch the fish in the planted tank, i will let the fish survive by itself. My attitude is rather "don't care" about the death or live of the fish, probably also due to that i have low success rate of curing fish, even before i started planted tank. Really bad huh ? btw, the symptoms i saw were normally swollen / distorted body shape; body upwards.

How serious are you treating your ill fishes ? How frequent you get success ?

Anyway, i believe a good tank should be harmonized between the plants and fishes.
    ----------------

I used to have this thinking too.... I care more for the plants then the fish. I used to keep tetras... cheap stuff. Now I rear arowanas.. not cheap... most expensive fish I ever kept...and so I must care for the fish now. However, I begin to learn stuff about having a cultured BB to remove ammonia and nitrite and balacning of the nitrate with fertilisers and nutrients. These are the things I dont pay attention in my earlier planted tank days. Now I have a ideal environment for fish and for plants. My fishs are happier and never sick.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    This thread somehow makes me want to share some thoughts i had for a long time. I have kept fishes since i was a kid, and believe me that was a long time ago. The hobby came and went intermittently for a few times throughout those years, and i never remembered why i quitted and restarted for those few times till recently -- somehow i can never get over the sight of my fishes dying and nothing i can do.

To the economically sensible, buying a $5 bottle of medicine to cure a neon tetra is ridiculous. But i always do that. It just seems to be against my conscience to see a pet which i committed my responsibility for die without any actions on my part. And sadly though, i can only remember 1 instance where my black neon tetra recovered from dropsy treatment. All other sick fishes just died.

My most recent attempt in the hobby ago started again 3 years ago, and throughout this time i had experienced some deaths again, the most traumatic being the time i had to kill 2 parasite ridden cardinals for their own good. It makes me wonder whether i should continue keeping these fishes which might have led a better life in the wild. Watching them swimming beautifully in my tank was a pleasure, watching them waste away is just heartbreaking. I have since resolved to stop buying anymore fishes caught from the wild. My White Clouds are doing fine, breeding happily in the same tank. And i intent to just stick with these fishes, never mind they are not as pretty.
    ============================
    NEON TETRAS WOULD BE PERFECT IF NOT FOR THE ^#&*!()%@^&@%# NEON TETRA DISEASE!!