Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Oh oh.. One of my fire yellow shrimp is pregnant! What do I do now?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Oh oh.. One of my fire yellow shrimp is pregnant! What do I do now?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Noob in shrimp keeping here.

I bought a few pieces of fire yellow and fire red from LFS this morning. Put them into my IQ5 tank and during feeding, I notice one of the fire yellow shrimp is pregnant!

So exciting! What do I do now? Is there anything special I need to prepare? Separate tank? Special food?

Any kind advices appreciated!

Pic of pregnant mum attached.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Oh oh.. One of my fire yellow shrimp is pregnant! What do I do now?

Nah u can do nothing about it just have places for the babies to hide and your filter inlet have to put a netting so the shrimplets dont get sucked in . Food wise just let them graze on ur mosses will be ok

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks. I was thinking I need to take it out or something.

The problem with the IQ5 tank, there is this overflow compartment thing with slits for water to flow into the filter system. Is there anywhere I can go to get a really fine mesh to cover it? How to solve it?

Also, what kind of "hiding place" should I buy?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hiding place means just mosses that are long which by looking at ur picture you have hiding place .fine mesh you can buy from c328.they close every Sunday

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by xconnect. View Post
    Hiding place means just mosses that are long which by looking at ur picture you have hiding place .fine mesh you can buy from c328.they close every Sunday
    They have something fine enough for shrimplets?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Like those fine wire mesh need dig out

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

This morning did a check on the pregnant shrimp. It had 20-25 eggs yesterday. Now left with 3.

I noticed that the mother seem to want to "kick" the eggs out. Is that normal? So I conclude that the other eggs have been kicked out by the mother. Though they are nowhere to be found.

Once the eggs leave the mother, how long usually will the baby shrimps appear? I searched a really long time but I just can't seem to spot either the eggs that have been kicked out nor seen any fries.

I also read that once the shrimplets are ready to hatch, there will be eyes on the eggs. But I cant find any eyes on the balance of eggs left on the mother, and the mother seem to want to kick the rest out. Could this mean all the eggs died or something?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

It depends on whether the eggs are already matured to be released. You can check the remaining eggs in the pregnant shrimp to see if you can spot tiny paris of eyes.
    If not, probably the eggs were not ready and the pregnant shrimp has dropped the eggs and they have been eaten up.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by rookie View Post
    This morning did a check on the pregnant shrimp. It had 20-25 eggs yesterday. Now left with 3.

I noticed that the mother seem to want to "kick" the eggs out. Is that normal? So I conclude that the other eggs have been kicked out by the mother. Though they are nowhere to be found.

Once the eggs leave the mother, how long usually will the baby shrimps appear? I searched a really long time but I just can't seem to spot either the eggs that have been kicked out nor seen any fries.

I also read that once the shrimplets are ready to hatch, there will be eyes on the eggs. But I cant find any eyes on the balance of eggs left on the mother, and the mother seem to want to kick the rest out. Could this mean all the eggs died or something?
    wait a few days, see if there's any shrimplets inside. if not, it may be due to stress, shrimp mama dropped the egg.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Do nothing let it be oh 1 more thing you have yellow and red so inn future you might have wild colour

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by avex30 View Post
    Do nothing let it be oh 1 more thing you have yellow and red so inn future you might have wild colour
    Bro got any pic of wild co our shrimp. Just interested to see how it looks like.