Images
    Country
    Singapore

Algae on glass!!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have found algae on the glass. Please advise which algae eater or plant is the most effective? Could SAE or Oto solve this problem? Thanks.
    Welcome to visit my-blog

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    best way is by removing them manually, the twig catfish is said to do some cleaning on the glass though.. but personally prefer using my tetratec scraper

Feedback Score
    I think you need to scape it off manually with a scraper of phone/credit card
    I Love Penang

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    How about those magnetic type where one put inside the glass of the tank and the other outside. Are those effective? Thanks.
    Welcome to visit my-blog

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    they r ok, but i prefer the scaper, its faster and easier to use

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

Yea, scraper is still the fastest and most effecient way but must be extra careful not to scratch tank hor!
    And to prevent it from coming back, get the dupla barley straw, available at Aquatechnic. But recently out of stock due to popular demand. Will be in stock by Friday, as told by the Alice the lady boss. You just need to put them in a nylon bag (bag optional)and put them in your filter. It will take effect once it starts to decomposed. The decomposition of the barley straw is said to be releasing some thingie that will inhibit algae activity in water. I personally have tried it and it works well. How I know when I must change it when you start to see those green spot algae starts appearing on the glass surface. The first time I open my filter to check the B. Straw and was amazed that it melted to almost nothing. It should be effective for months depending also on the temperature and size of tank.
    My 2 cents worth.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ya, I tried it too.. buy the refill pack its only $13

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    U can try ramhorn snails. They clear the green spot algae from my tank glass and anubias nana.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Simon,

Dunno if those rice straw mat that we bring to the beach serves the same job har! heh heh heh if that is so, one mat can last us for years ha![]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hahahaaahahaa.. yeah man, best part is, its available everywhere

Feedback Score
    anywhere selling barley straw extract?
    I Love Penang

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    daniel, dupla agent (Aquatechnic at kallang)

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 3/1/2002 3:41:20 PM

daniel, dupla agent (Aquatechnic at kallang)
    ----------------
    Thanks simon
    I'm actually thinking of just getting the extract and dose my tank
    instead of putting the straws into the canister filter.
    Does Aquatechnic have it in extract form?
    I Love Penang

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,
    The barley straw works on a slow reducing effect. That's is why it decomposed and the released chemical produce a algae inhibiting agent. Also that's why you only need to replace over a few months (depending on tank size and temperature)
    Arr...must not assumed it works like some kinda of chicken essence heh heh heh[]
    BTW, the Dennerle Gold 7 works very well too. Similar effect plus it will free the bonds of our fertilisers that we dose. So that they remain free and available for our plant to take in.
    My 2 cents info

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,
    Like to add that you wonder why some algae eating agent like otos, yamatos, SAE not eating algae? Well, I read somewhere that they only feast on tender and younger algae. When you have tough algae that's where you need to remove them physically. The algae control agent is just there to keep new growing ones in check.
    Not to forget some algae actually produces some awful smell that turns our agent away too[:0]
    ADA has something call phyton git and they will weaken the algae cell therefore making them digestiable for our agent[]
    I got my supply duirng my last trip to Tokyo. I dose five drops each water change as a preventive measure. 1 drop for each liters of water. During algae infection i have larger dosage. So the tips is if there is anyting you wanna get when you visit the 'land of the rising sun' is to get a few bottles of those ADA phyton git....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Fankly spaeaking, I had very little algae problem (just some green spot algae on glass) since I put in the apple snails in my tank. I need only to scrape the glass maybe once a month. Problem with these snails is they leave behind some small white egg-like beads all over the place. Still don't know what is that thing..... but rather have this things around than algae.......
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    woah if i use the dupla barley straw thingy then no need to change water every week lah? cuz now i have to change water every friday then super far fan!!! so with this then nitrates go up also no algae right? any comments?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Ryan,
    Arr...I think you still need to change about 20% water everyweek. Barley straw only inhibits algae bloom but it does not get rid of unabsorbed nutrients that is bonded in the water. Also those fish 'pee or poo' which may increase your filter load to nitrify them. I guess you can help it but part of the hobby.
    Once I was at another hobbyist house who has a 8ft tank (if I am right)he has it planned and built in such that he does no water change! How? He has a inlet and outlet flow that is carefully engineered to his kitchen (which is separated by a wall to this tank. what I simply mean is that the steady replacement of water is calculated that it is equivalent to the amount of water he needs to change every week (manually). Instead of having to changed weekly he has it over the week. Imagine like a slow flowing river. Wow! the result is fantastic. the tank is fluorishing with plants and fish breeds. Of course all this need lots of planning and calculation. But I took my hats of for his effort. If not I can imagine he has to put on snorkering gears and scrap algae for a 8ft tank []