Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Snail identification

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, I need some help in identifying some snails I saw at Planta Aquatica.
    They're quite round, about the size of 5cent coins, vomit green in color, have 1-3 small black durian spikes, and 1-3 light brown splotches on them. Their shells apparently have no whorls or other patterns.
    The shop owner said they're "spiked snails" I think, but I cannot find on the web any reference to them.

I find them very cute, but am wary to get them in case they do horrible things to my tank.
    Oh, the rare old Whale, mid storm and gale. In his ocean home will be. A giant in might, where might is right. And King of the boundless sea.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    it is a black horn snail

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh, thanks! Now I know what name to google for
    Oh, the rare old Whale, mid storm and gale. In his ocean home will be. A giant in might, where might is right. And King of the boundless sea.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    upz

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    plantas has the spiral shaped snail? mostly seen are the black horn, flower and apple snails..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    No no, I meant that googling using "black horn snail" came up with only 3 hits, and each refers to the "black horn snail" as Batillaria minima which is spiral shaped
    http://www.clarku.edu/departments/bi...ria_small3.jpg

The other website I posted is the only one I found that has the correct picture of the snail shell I saw at Plantas.
    But heck its name, you appear to have some experience with the snail, so could you please tell me the snail's scientific name/possible consequences/etc?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think I'm going to get some of those snails anyway. However, I may be getting some yoyo loaches as well to control the rest of the uninvited snail population. I know these loaches stay small. However, does anyone know if they will attack large snails bigger than their mouths? Maybe they'll flip the snail over and nibble at fleshy insides?

Feedback Score
    I have got some snails that is supposed to stick on the glass and eats the algae. (Claimed by the LFS)

They have big yellow shells ($1 coin size).

What are they known as?

Instead of staying on the glass, it starts to dig pot holes in my gravel!

How to get them to stay on the glass and eat algae obediently?