Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Help! My tetras are killing one another...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Help! My tetras are killing one another...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi All

Recently I have added 6 glow light tetra into my 2 ft fishtank containing, neon tetra, cardinal tetra and neon black tetra. However, I noticed that my neon tetra and cardinal tetra start to die one by one. On further monitoring, I notice that their tail has been bite off and left to die in a painfully way at the bottom of the tank. Without the fish tail, my tetra cant swim at all. They just hv to lie at the bottom of the fish tank.

I also started to notice that the bigger glow light tetra could be the "murderer" as I saw one of them chasing another neon tetra and try to bite their tail. Is that a normal sign for tetra to fight among themselves (different species).

If I remove out the glow light tetra, I dont think they can survive one day without oxygen and filter from my pump.

Pls advise does anyone here experience such situation? Any way to salvage them?

Any advice is welcome.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help! My tetras are killing one another...

Glowlight tetra are more aggressive in behaviour from what I remember, at least with my own fish. If you did see the glowlight doing the chasing and biting then it's best to remove them. Only other way is to get a breeding trap or a hang on box to keep them apart from the other tetra.

It is possible that your glowlight are extremely hungry, which drove them to bite the other tetras.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Since we are on the topic of aggressive tetras, hope u dont mind I hijack this thread.

Are golden tetras peaceful or aggressive? I have a 5 golden tetras and 5 Sakura shrimps in my 35 cm tank. I chose golden tetras because they are amongst the smallest fish I have seen.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

If you are referring to Hasemania nana, then yes, they are aggressive. If it's Hemigrammus rodwayi, then no, they are fairly peaceful.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I believe fish also have such a thing as individual character. I have experience seeing some fish of the same shoal having 'bad' character
    as well as some well-behaved ones.

So I suppose one can observe and retain the ones with good character and discard those which have aggresive genetically-inherited traits.
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    Glowlight tetra are more aggressive in behaviour from what I remember, at least with my own fish. If you did see the glowlight doing the chasing and biting then it's best to remove them. Only other way is to get a breeding trap or a hang on box to keep them apart from the other tetra.

It is possible that your glowlight are extremely hungry, which drove them to bite the other tetras.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i've this problem with my ember tetra too. they will nip on each others tail, wonder is this normal?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I think it depends on whether theres any dmg done. My neon tetras sometimes chase each othet around and seems at times they are biting the tail or fins. But on clise inspection all the fins are fine and intact