Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Question to Canadian CRS breeders!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Canada

Question to Canadian CRS breeders!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I'm new to the shrimp keeping hobby and right now I currently have rcs and some low grade crs. I want to start a separate tank just for the crs so they can start breeding and I need some help. My question is can you succesfully breed crs without using Ada aqua soil or netlea?, (it is very hard and expensive to get). I will be using 100% ro and Eco complete + fluorite, is this enough?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Question to Canadian CRS breeders!

Many of us use more than just those soil you mention to breed shrimps. For my fire reds are in a tank with only gex branded soil.to me soil is just personal preference

Feedback Score
    Country
    Cambodia

I think most people on this forum are from Singapore.
    It will be very rare to find a Canadian here.

Most people get soil that helps to lower PH for CRS.
    I have read that someone has his PH at 6.5-6.7 with his Eco Complete, if you can maintain that level, you are fine. Do please take note the water he used might be different reading from your area.

In my opinion, without soil is fine but looks ugly. The most important is maintaining the water parameter that the shrimps required. Just make sure you have a couple of good canisters(filters) to start with.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Canada

Thanks hyun007 and xconnect. I've read that the most important part is the water quality. If I used 100% ro, is that enough to bring the ph down for the crs? I will be running to canister filter. The reason I want to use the soil is so can a also plant the tank. I don't want to rely on buffers to bring my ph down. It's so hard to get even low grade crs shrimps here, and I already got ripped off by ordering from someone online and recieved dead shrimps.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Cambodia

Quote Originally Posted by parasuco View Post
    Thanks hyun007 and xconnect. I've read that the most important part is the water quality. If I used 100% ro, is that enough to bring the ph down for the crs? I will be running to canister filter. The reason I want to use the soil is so can a also plant the tank. I don't want to rely on buffers to bring my ph down. It's so hard to get even low grade crs shrimps here, and I already got ripped off by ordering from someone online and recieved dead shrimps.
    I believe there are some trustworthy seller that have a guaranteed for their shrimps in the States, you might want to look up those.

Have a test on your normal water to see whether it is below PH7. If it is PH7 and above, you will need to rely on something to bring it down. If Eco Complete helps to bring it down, you will need to change it when it expired.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Canada

My water is coming out at 7.6, the closest we have here for Ada aqua soil is the fluval stratum, which is the only thing that local fish store carry. I read posts from other people that fluval will lower it down but it will expired a lot quicker than Ada, if I used ro water, do I still need to buffer my water for the crs?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Cambodia

Quote Originally Posted by parasuco View Post
    My water is coming out at 7.6, the closest we have here for Ada aqua soil is the fluval stratum, which is the only thing that local fish store carry. I read posts from other people that fluval will lower it down but it will expired a lot quicker than Ada, if I used ro water, do I still need to buffer my water for the crs?
    If you use RO water and PH is below 6.8, you are fine. If not, you will need to buffer it down.