Country
    Singapore

What is berried shrimp?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

I'm a newbie at keeping shrimp, I do have afew questions to ask about shrimps.

What are berried shrimps?
    Do i need a chiller for my sakura shrimps? I keep them with neon tetras.

Thank you

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: What is berried shrimp?

Berried means the shrimp got eggs. And depends on your budget and your tank size

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the info!
    Anyways, I think my tank is a 3feet long tank.
    I have 5 sakura shrimps which I have bought at C328 and 30 neon tetras.
    How much does a cheap chiller cost?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

sakura can be kept without chiller, as long as the temp dont go above 28 degreeC. just a few fan will do. i think you need to worry about ur sakura got eaten by the tetras than buying a chiller.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Loudness View Post
    sakura can be kept without chiller, as long as the temp dont go above 28 degreeC. just a few fan will do. i think you need to worry about ur sakura got eaten by the tetras than buying a chiller.
    Yup, Sakura can be kept without a chiller. Fans will help you to keep them comfortable.

It's either shrimps or fish, better don't mix. Just imagine, 30 predators swimming around.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Whoa, the neon tetras would attack the shrimps?
    Fish store auntie says ok to keep them together damnit ><

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Actually, it would be OK if you have plenty of hiding places for the sakura. I too have a 3ft planted tank (low tech - only lighting and filter) with lots of moss and my initial 10 shrimps is now more than 50! I see red everywhere and of different sizes.

I have different species of fishes inclusive of cardinals and tetras numbering close to 40 and still the shrimps are breading. Just make sure there is sufficient hiding places and the shrimps would be fine. :-)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Yany View Post
    Actually, it would be OK if you have plenty of hiding places for the sakura. I too have a 3ft planted tank (low tech - only lighting and filter) with lots of moss and my initial 10 shrimps is now more than 50! I see red everywhere and of different sizes.

I have different species of fishes inclusive of cardinals and tetras numbering close to 40 and still the shrimps are breading. Just make sure there is sufficient hiding places and the shrimps would be fine. :-)
    Hey Yany, thanks for making me feel better!
    I thought my shrimps were gonna die anytime soon! HA!
    I have some hiding place, a driftwood and some java moss with a cave. Not alot but I'm gonna expand thou.
    I think i would have to get proper lighting, because right now, I'm using a spotlight, the plants don't seems to grow with this light.
    I would also need a male shrimp. The neon tetras don't seems to harress the shrimps, at times they just stare at the shrimps LOL!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

sounds like u just set up the tank? did u cycle it?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

sounds like u just set up the tank? did u cycle it?
    I just bought a aquarium light for the tank from C328! Uncle damn not helpful lol!
    Yea i did cycle for 5 days

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by deone View Post
    I just bought a aquarium light for the tank from C328! Uncle damn not helpful lol!
    Yea i did cycle for 5 days
    5 days is not enough for shrimps, may be a bit risky for ur tetra too. usually it takes 1mth to 2mth to fully cycled a tank. (mine too 3mths)
    cant reallly blame the uncle, c328 is just too busy. can try non peak time or Y618, i find the uncle very helpful, always see him helping new guy on how to set up tank.

do update on ur tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

5 days is not enough for shrimps, may be a bit risky for ur tetra too. usually it takes 1mth to 2mth to fully cycled a tank. (mine too 3mths)
    cant reallly blame the uncle, c328 is just too busy. can try non peak time or Y618, i find the uncle very helpful, always see him helping new guy on how to set up tank.

do update on ur tank
    Thanks for the tip!
    Just wanted to have a simple tank actually, but the fishes and shrimps are doing fine inside for now. I can tell that the auntie and uncle at C328 is damn busy, they always put on a glum face haha!

Probably will upload a pic of my tank soon. Just a pretty low tech tank with a cheap filter and lighting.
    Would slowly upgrade if I have the money haha!
    Do you feed your shrimps? I have not feed my shrimps at all till now, just feed my tetras.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

yup. i do feed my shrimps. mosura would be a better product, but i'm on tight budget so i just get hikari crab cuisine($4 only) and frozen blood worm, my shrimps love it. rmb to have starve them once a week.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Cambodia

Don't worry about Neon Tetra with Sakura.

You need to make sure you have driftwood/bogwoord and plenty of moss for the Sakura for them to hide and feed on.

I have Neon Tetra and Galaxy with Fire Red and the Fire Red still breed like no tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by hyun007 View Post
    Don't worry about Neon Tetra with Sakura.

You need to make sure you have driftwood/bogwoord and plenty of moss for the Sakura for them to hide and feed on.

I have Neon Tetra and Galaxy with Fire Red and the Fire Red still breed like no tomorrow.
    Hi thanks for your info! I have another problem now.
    I just bought some food for my shrimps, however the tetras seems to snatch the food away from the shrimps. I do believe my shrimps are doing fine with the amount of algae in the tank.
    Maybe I should give out some tetras.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

if my sakura is berried, does it mean that the eggs are already fetilised?

I bought a pack of 5 sakuras from c328 and they are all females, most of them are berried. im wondering if i need a male to fertilise these eggs, or have they been fetilised already?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The eggs have already been fertilised. So you can look forward to some shrimplets soon. : )
    Cheers,
    Bernard
    Kept (no more ) Betta persephone, B. miniopinna, B. sp. palangkaraya, B. uberis, B. channoides, B. burdigala
    Pseudepiplatys annulatus, Nannostomus eques

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

oh yay, serious?

good good, i was at first quite worried cos all the five shrimps in the packet were female... dunno where to find a male to fetilise the eggs.

now lets hope that some of the males from the eventual hatchlings will survive.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by gid View Post
    oh yay, serious?

good good, i was at first quite worried cos all the five shrimps in the packet were female... dunno where to find a male to fetilise the eggs.

now lets hope that some of the males from the eventual hatchlings will survive.
    Congrats! Went to C328 but can't seems to find any berried shrimp!
    Went to Yishun LFS and got 5 berried shrimps, hope they do fine and have some offsprings!

Most likely in front of the computer screen if the status is green.
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by deone View Post
    Congrats! Went to C328 but can't seems to find any berried shrimp!
    Went to Yishun LFS and got 5 berried shrimps, hope they do fine and have some offsprings!
    Please don't buy any more shrimps until your tank is fully cycled. Even though they are just shrimps they are still lives. If you didn't know any better because there was no information that is one thing, but you have more than enough information nowadays plus you even have someone telling you that your tank needs to be cycled longer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast