Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Ok. I took the plunge and invested in 2 pseudomugil ivantsoffi from GC. One make and one female. As Stormhawk advised, not cheap. But so pretty!

Hopefully they will colour up soon!

Tapatalking with my Galaxy S2

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Pseudomugil sp. "Red Neon"

Is that P. ivantsoffi or 'Red Neon'? Either one is still as pretty. When did you buy them?

These little buggers are taking to crushed Hikari carnivore tables but if you can condition them well on livefoods (tubifex, moina, etc) and put in a spawning mop (other fine leaved plants or a clump of moss), they might be coaxed to spawn.

If you have multiple males, you'll be dazzled by their mock fight display, something like this [thread from rainbowfish.org]
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Quote Originally Posted by PupiPupi View Post
    Ok. I took the plunge and invested in 2 pseudomugil ivantsoffi from GC. One make and one female. As Stormhawk advised, not cheap. But so pretty!

Hopefully they will colour up soon!

Good job, sister! Thumbs up!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWill View Post
    Is that P. ivantsoffi or 'Red Neon'? Either one is still as pretty. When did you buy them?

These little buggers are taking to crushed Hikari carnivore tables but if you can condition them well on livefoods (tubifex, moina, etc) and put in a spawning mop (other fine leaved plants or a clump of moss), they might be coaxed to spawn.

If you have multiple males, you'll be dazzled by their mock fight display, something like this [thread from rainbowfish.org]
    its Ivantsoffi for sure unless thw GC.bros made a mistake!

Chacaragon has seen my tank before. Moderately planted with lots of moss around. So I hope they are happy. I'm not that ambitious. Not thinking of spawning yet. I'm just hoping they will survive and colour up. Their blue eyes are already so striking from a distance.

Feeding them the same pellet food as their other tank mates,.which are my rumors, CPDs, rams, gouramis and shrimps. saw they gobbling up the food. Guess tgey are really hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by charcaradon megaldon View Post
    Good job, sister! Thumbs up!
    M.T! I'm so scared of them ding on me! hope my shrimps and plants are serving you well.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Ivantsoff's Blue Eye has 2 reddish streaks on the top and bottom edge of the tail fin. Not easily confused with Red Neon, except perhaps with Ps. furcata.

As long as they are taking dried foods you have little to worry. Placing some floating spawning mops will help to collect the eggs, or better still, keep them in their own tank.
    Last edited by stormhawk; 1st Feb 2012 at 00:33.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

PupiPupi,

I am pretty sure the P. Ivantsoffi will do well in your tank. I am not an experts when it comes to pseudomugil so I am going to defer to Stormhawk, but I think all the float mini lettuce might be able to serve the function of floating mop? SH, what do you say?

The plants and shrimps are doing well! Once again, thank you for your generosity!

But I did have one died in the tank and I am not sure what happened. I added 2 more amano/yamato shrimps yesterday to serve as the leftover fish food/algae cleaner.

The only malay shrimp actually molded this morning - hopefully that is an indication that the water condition is ok for the shrimps.

I think I got a female shrimp (with a gold plate/ovaries) on the back of the head. Cannot find that one right now. I thought it might kicked the bucket but I didn't see any shells and I did not see any floating parts. Probably pulled a Houdini on me. I would like to get more female shrimps to see if I can start breeding them in my tank - always a WIP.

Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    PupiPupi,

I am pretty sure the P. Ivantsoffi will do well in your tank. I am not an experts when it comes to pseudomugil so I am going to defer to Stormhawk, but I think all the float mini lettuce might be able to serve the function of floating mop? SH, what do you say?

The plants and shrimps are doing well! Once again, thank you for your generosity!

But I did have one died in the tank and I am not sure what happened. I added 2 more amano/yamato shrimps yesterday to serve as the leftover fish food/algae cleaner.

The only malay shrimp actually molded this morning - hopefully that is an indication that the water condition is ok for the shrimps.

I think I got a female shrimp (with a gold plate/ovaries) on the back of the head. Cannot find that one right now. I thought it might kicked the bucket but I didn't see any shells and I did not see any floating parts. Probably pulled a Houdini on me. I would like to get more female shrimps to see if I can start breeding them in my tank - always a WIP.

Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated!
    Show us a picture! And apologies for all that typo... Replying from a mobile phone is always iffy!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

And oh yes, in response to Chacaradon's post, when shrimps moult, it means they are growing. That's a good sign and that they love their new home! I just rescaped my goldfish tank and found it exploding with shrimps and shirmplets. So if you need more of those shrimps, you know where to find me.

Less than 24 hours after releasing the Ivantsoffi into my tank, they seem to be colouring up a little. I was trying my hardest to take pictures of them like Stormhawk did. But darn they are fast! So I thought a short video of them will help share with you guys my most expensive fauna yet:

https://www.facebook.com/video/video...50516206542914

By the way, whilst I was at GC, the bros there told me that the Red Nanos are smaller than the Ivantsoffi. So maybe this will help some of us in identifying those pretty little things.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    Ivantsoff's Blue Eye has 2 reddish steaks on the top and bottom edge of the tail fin. Not easily confused with Red Neon, except perhaps with Ps. furcata.

As long as they are taking dried foods you have little to worry. Placing some floating spawning mops will help to collect the eggs, or better still, keep them in their own tank.
    I'm at C328. Looking at fishes that really resembles my Ivantsoffi. Aunty says it's Furcata? Like Stormhawk mentioned.

How you teach me how to tell them.apart? Cos its seriously disturbing that the Furcata costs only $1.20 when my.Ivantsoffis are $20 each. Not that the Furcatas aren't pretty too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How you teach me how to tell them.apart?
    Pictures speaketh a thousand words.

Pseudomugil ivantsoffi vs P. furcatus

The furcatus, like gertrudae, has been in the trade for a long time and quite commonly available. P. ivantsoffi, however, are rarely sighted at LFS. Personally, I seriously want some P. mellis and P. tenellus in my tanks!!!

Hmm... if only I have enough Aussie fish-friends to chime in!!
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The Red Neon is a little smaller than the Ps. ivantsoffi, but I doubt there is a major size difference when they are mature adults. Simple way to tell them apart is the red colouration of the bodies of the Red Neon males. Ivantsoffi tend to look more yellowish. Red Neon males also have that blue neon stripe running along the dorsal part of the body just beneath the fins, which you can see in the pictures I took on the first page. Female Red Neon have yellow tips to their fins.

Ps. ivantsoffi is also more deeper bodied as compared to the Red Neon.

See these pages to understand how different Ps. ivantsoffi is from Ps. furcatus:

http://www.iriatherina-werneri.com/i...4_012_150k.jpg <-- Ps. furcatus (again, superb pic)
    http://www.pinkgrapefruit.net/hans/P...DSC_0045v3.jpg <-- Ivantsoff's (best pic I found online so far)

You can't mistake these 2 for the same species.

It's easy to get confused between Ivantsoff's and the Red Neon at first glance though, but easy to tell apart in the end.
    Last edited by stormhawk; 1st Feb 2012 at 00:32.

Show us a picture!
    Haha...I will post a pic or 2 in the next couple of days. My tank is nowhere near as fancy and as elaborate as yours and other mavens read/participated in this thread. I only have a 1ft tank w/ LED and a submersible filter + homemade CO2. I am using ADA Amazonia and got some Java Fern, Nana, Golden Nana, Crypt Wendtii "Omiya", and moss in my tank. That is about it. Nothing fancy and nothing complicated. Just want a low maintenance tank for the time being.
    Last edited by charcaradon megaldon; 1st Feb 2012 at 02:43.

And all these Pseudomugil talks are tempting me to start a new tank... haha

I really think Pseudomugil are neat little fish.

PuriPuri, if you want P. Gertrudae, Seaview has it for $0.60 a piece - FYI. Keep us posted on how the P. Ivantsoffi are doing.

Ron, the P. Tennellus kind of reminds me of the a cross between Fundulopanchax and Nothbranchius in terms of fins and shape. Not as colorful obviously. P. Mellis is an interesting looking fish also.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    And all these Pseudomugil talks are tempting me to start a new tank... haha

I really think Pseudomugil are neat little fish.

PuriPuri, if you want P. Gertrudae, Seaview has it for $0.60 a piece - FYI. Keep us posted on how the P. Ivantsoffi are doing.

Ron, the P. Tennellus kind of reminds me of the a cross between Fundulopanchax and Nothbranchius in terms of fins and shape. Not as colorful obviously. P. Mellis is an interesting looking fish also.
    Start a new tank MT! You can never have too many tanks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You know, one tank can lead to two tanks, two tanks can lead to three, and the next thing you know it.. a whole rack. So it's best to stay within your means. Taking care of a whole rack of tanks can be a back-breaking job, not to mention the space needed if your fish are extremely productive. Ask Ronnie, he'll tell you about his experiences with Scarlet Badis...

Pupi, taking a photo is easy with a tripod and some patience. Set your camera at the point where you normally feed the fish and snap only when they are in the frame. I had those Red Neon in a Sudo Satellite L Box running off my 4 ft community tank so it was easy to get their photos. Only thing is, they were very shy to begin with.

By the way, I can't view the video. I think you need to edit your security settings on FB, or upload the video to Photobucket or Youtube.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

agreed that pseudomugil are neat little fish , love it when they start flaring , the dorsal and pectoral fin is nice looking

@Stormhawk - I definitely have to ask Ronnie about his experience re: scarlent badis. I used to have 3 tanks (incl. a 480 liter) but those days are long gone..haha. To be honest, my next tank is looking more likely to be a planted tank /iwagumi with sulawesi shrimps. I am kind of hooked on shrimps now (Thank you, Sister PupiPupi). Maybe some Oryzias Woworae as schooling fish? Your thoughts?

@Pupipupi - How are the new additions to the tank doing?

@Limz - I am trying not to get addicted to the pseudomugils and killies....don't think my place will be able to fit all these fish tanks.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

@Pupipupi - How are the new additions to the tank doing?
    Hey MT, glad to have you back here. I haven't been reading up here much. So busy with work! My 3 ft has been doing ok except..... I recently had a baddddd infestation of those algae that grows on plants. What are those? They are furry and blackish. Sigh.... I've asked an LFS owner in Bedok for advice. He said that I need to change one third of my tank water out every 10 days. The problem will go away slowly. Anyone had any experience with this? I'm so bothered by it. Makes my tank look so ugly.

Another bad news is that one of my German blue rams konked out on me yesterday. I dunno why. Other than that, every thing else is good. Shrimps are moulting daily, leaving the base of the tank littered with their transparent sheddings. My Ivantsoffis are doing well too. The pair swim every where together. And I see the male chasing the female sometimes. Pretty cool.

Setting up a new 2 ft just for Psuedos. Cheap ones first. I will get the Furcatas from C328 and transfer some of my shrimps over from the 3ft. I'm thinking a Iwagumi scape? Is it very challenging to do that?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

flurry and blackish , sounds like bba

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by limz_777 View Post
    flurry and blackish , sounds like bba
    I thought so too. I thought of.trimming away tge affected leaves.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast