Images
    Country
    Singapore

Pseudomugil sp. "Red Neon"

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I bought these yesterday at C328 for a friend who is into blue eye rainbowfish and they are stunning when fully settled in. Some Pseudomugil enthusiasts call them Pseudomugil cf. paskai since they resemble Ps. paskai.

One of the 4 males.

The alpha male in relaxed mood.

Alpha male flaring. Pardon the pictures, taken with an old camera plus shaky hands and dirty glass. Both pictures taken when they were still in the bag.

The nicest of the 3 females in the group.

Pair displaying while still in the bag.

This is a new rainbowfish, suspected to be a new species or a hybrid between 2 Pseudomugil species. They apparently came from a trader in Java, Indonesia and was sold as sp. "Red Neon" by him. Information from this forum:

http://www.rainbowfish.info/forum/vi...hp?f=80&t=2870

To me, these new Pseudomugil resemble gertrudae but they are nice in their own right.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    17 (90%)
    Country
    Singapore
    They have it at jxz boutique too if I'm not wrong, when asked, the shopkeeper just told me its a new species rainbow fish. Haha
    Mod, do they school?
    Zack

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Pseudomugil sp. "Red Neon"

The pectoral fins reminds me of Pseudomugil furcatus while the flaring of the other fins the Iriatherina werneri...very interesting.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

interesting looking fish. Are they top dwellers and how big do they potentially grow to?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Oliver, if these behave like P.gertrudae, then most likely mid~surface dwellers. If in doubt, go lookie at GC uncle's tank...
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

They are exactly like what Ronnie says. The alpha male is the only one with the longest dorsal fin that ends with that white streamer, while the other males have shorter dorsal fins like in the first picture. However in small tanks the males can get aggressive. Oddly, the females are somewhat aggressive too, especially the female I photographed. They do not school, though sub-dominant fish will stay together in a small group with some skirmishes.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by RonWill View Post
    Oliver, if these behave like P.gertrudae, then most likely mid~surface dwellers. If in doubt, go lookie at GC uncle's tank...
    Lovely! Good stuff always seem to be there AFTER my visit there!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    They are exactly like what Ronnie says. The alpha male is the only one with the longest dorsal fin that ends with that white streamer, while the other males have shorter dorsal fins like in the first picture. However in small tanks the males can get aggressive. Oddly, the females are somewhat aggressive too, especially the female I photographed. They do not school, though sub-dominant fish will stay together in a small group with some skirmishes.
    Does a bunch of fishes always have only one alpha male? Or one of the male will always become the alpha when transferred to a new tank?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

In some species, they will form a pecking order, whereby one or two fishes will be dominant over the others. The fish will establish the order among themselves, even when transferred to a new tank. These small guys are not that vicious, unlike the pencilfishes, which can really beat each other up to death.

Forgot to add this, but this species is pretty small. None of them exceeded 3cm in length though if the gertrudae is anything to go by, they ought to get bigger in size.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    In some species, they will form a pecking order, whereby one or two fishes will be dominant over the others. The fish will establish the order among themselves, even when transferred to a new tank. These small guys are not that vicious, unlike the pencilfishes, which can really beat each other up to death.

Forgot to add this, but this species is pretty small. None of them exceeded 3cm in length though if the gertrudae is anything to go by, they ought to get bigger in size.
    Jianyang, are these the ones in plastic bags near the cashier? I was there 2 days ago but the shop was packed, so I didn't catch a clear glimpse of them.

I think it's time I pay a visit to GC again, I was there last saturday & had a good & long chat with the uncle, he's very nice indeed.
    I'll bring along my tall & skinny friend again!
    Currently keeping large predatory fish 🐟

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yes Shi Xuan, they were in the individual bags in one huge bag hanging near the angelfish tank. I took the last 7 pieces that were in the big bag, but I believe others have bought it already. A very interesting import however, just like the Oryzias woworae that were at C328 some months ago. I missed that one... had a single male left when I saw it. Didn't make sense to just keep one so I didn't buy the lone male.

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

i bought 3 pairs, i realise they stay near the bottom of the tank. However none of mine have the long trailing fins of an alpha male.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Oliverpool View Post
    Good stuff always seem to be there AFTER my visit there!
    Heh... you didn't miss anything. Those blue-eyes are declared shopmaster's pet!!

They're sharing a tank with 2 display trios of Chromaphysemion splendopleure 'Ekondo Titi' and yet to color up to their full potential, like some online images. The dorsal finage has but the tiniest tinge of red, no spots or extensions, and I'm thinking the earlier buyers might have gotten the better pieces. Then again, the GC uncle is always game (read; sucker ) for new species, as long as they're not hybrids!!!
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Heh... you didn't miss anything. Those blue-eyes are declared shopmaster's pet!!

They're sharing a tank with 2 display trios of Chromaphysemion splendopleure 'Ekondo Titi' and yet to color up to their full potential, like some online images. The dorsal finage has but the tiniest tinge of red, no spots or extensions, and I'm thinking the earlier buyers might have gotten the better pieces. Then again, the GC uncle is always game (read; sucker ) for new species, as long as they're not hybrids!!!
    Did you see how they are colouring up so far? Pretty fishes I must say esp if they do colour up.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Oliver, you should see the new batch of Pseudomugil sp. Red Neons!!! Sweee!!! Not only that, check out the Pseudomugil ivantsoffi as well. Subtle colors like the P. gertrudae but just as nice!!
    Ronnie Lee

Ronnie and Stormhawk,

How big do these P. "Red Neon" get? If it they don't get too big, I might consider adding them to the tank as well. I wonder if they are good if kept 2-3 in quantity. I know that for P. Gertrudae, it is recommended to have a at least 6 more in the tank. Any thoughts?

Thanks guys!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Charcaradon, I reckon the Reds will grow between 2.5 - 3cm max in captivity, similar to the P. ivantsoffi. I'd go with a mixed-sex group of 6's, even if it's just to watch the males flare in mock fights.

BTW, I'm Ron. Good to have you onboard and how do I address you?
    Ronnie Lee

Hi Ron,

Not sure if I'll have roon in my 1ft tank for 6 more fish. I am looking to add 3 more to the existing CPD in the tank right now.

Your thoughts?

This board is awesome! Thanks for having me here.

-MT

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Since these fish do not grow really large, i think 6 more fish will be ok. As long as you have a filter that can handle the bioload, i dont see any potential problems. However i will suggest adding more vegetation in your tank for the pseudomugil "red neon" to hide.. This is because i realise in my case the pseudomugil "red neon" males are really enthusiastic about chasing the females, and sometimes it stresses the females.

Lucas,

Thanks for the tips bro!

I think my filter should be able to handle the bioload. Afterall, these are pretty small fish and like I've mentioned before, I only have 3 CPD in the tank right now.

What do you feed the red neons with?

At the end of the day, I am really just looking for low maintenance fish to bring some spunk into the tank! Haha....

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast