Thread: Advice on substrate and plant

Advice on substrate and plant

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello chaps,

New the forum. Got a question for all you experts:

1) What is the best substrate to use for a low light and no CO2, low maintenance tank?

2) Is there any plant that creeps/carpets well under the aforementioned conditions, excluding hair grass?

3) I have a really small tank (W 30cm/H 20cm/D 17cm). What is the minimum height of the substrate that I need for a thriving tank?

Thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by charcaradon megaldon View Post
    Hello chaps,

New the forum. Got a question for all you experts:

1) What is the best substrate to use for a low light and no CO2, low maintenance tank?

2) Is there any plant that creeps/carpets well under the aforementioned conditions, excluding hair grass?

3) I have a really small tank (W 30cm/H 20cm/D 17cm). What is the minimum height of the substrate that I need for a thriving tank?

Thanks in advance!
    1) lapis sand
    2) moss
    3) depends on the plants. For moss, you don't need substrate , for crypts, you need at least 2 inch.
    ~ Ā q u ã O b s έ Ş Ş i ŏ ŋ ~
    Once you pop, You can't Stop
    http://aquaobsession.blogspot.com/

Re: Advice on substrate and plant

AO,

Thanks for the reply. I agree with you. I am going to go w/ the moss carpet option.

Any recommendation on which moss to us? Or are they all easy to maintain and really it is all about the personal taste/aesthetics?

Thanks mate!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Advice on substrate and plant

Any recommendation on which moss to us? Or are they all easy to maintain and really it is all about the personal taste/aesthetics?
    Well, certain mosses are slightly harder to keep than others and/or take longer to adapt to tank conditions. But overall, their requirements are relatively simple.

Mosses like Java moss will prove to be relatively more disorganised in growth pattern. If you want a more neat look, you may want to go for Christmas(slightly slower growth) or Peacock moss.