Country
    Singapore

Talking new kid on the block

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

I am new to aqua-scaping so I would appreciate any sort of advice on my current set-up. I did this up in about 2-3 hours last Saturday, which I think was a pretty rush job compared to the time others have spent on. I am hoping to add in a driftwood that looks like a pyramid/triangle when rested on its legs, and have it lie on one side to create some sort of a "angled" tree effect to the tank.

The fishes in there are feeder type of fishes, just to keep off breeding mosquitoes, and for aesthetics purposes

Here are the specifications of the tank:

Tank Size: 2 ft
    Filter: Hailea Internal Filter
    Soil: Planta soil (green packet)
    Lighting: T5 white light (2 switches)
    Light regime: Approximately 8 hours a day, sometimes longer, other days shorter. Tank is near window so it does get some natural light in the day, but note that it is not beside the window so there's no direct natural light
    CO2 mechanics: DIY product with stone diffuser (no gas chamber; direct output to tank)
    Fertilizer: Liquid - Seachem Flourish (Comprehensive supplement for the planted aquarium)
    Temperature: Not measured. Should be room temperature of 26 - 28 degrees celsius.
    pH: Not measured
    kH: Not measured
    Water changes: Not done yet since it's the first weekend. Hoping to settle it at once a week (hoping to start a low-tech tank)

Flora:
    - Java fern
    - Hornwort
    - Unknown plants (If someone can identify the rest, it would help !)

Fauna:
    - 6 unidentified 'feeder' fishes

What I hope to achieve for the tank is to have it turned low-tech. The CO2 and the liquid fertilizer is there for now to give the plants a boost. Once the ground is carpeted by the plants in the foreground, I would remove the CO2 and very likely the liquid fertilizer. I am fully aware that the stem plants might die also.

In due time, I am hoping to convert to a hang-on or an external filter to maximize the space in the tank. It's a pity that precious space in the tank is taken up by the filter.

As for the scape, I realized that it is very much like a plateau so I hope to add in some lava rocks to create some elevation at the back of the tank.

Some questions:

1. Should I go low-tech in the first place? I know this is very much a personal question, but for a budding enthusiast, is there a recommendation of some sort? Let's leave out the financial aspect of keeping a tank, but constructive feedback would be appreciated!

2. Is my CO2 diffuser placed correctly? By the looks of it, does it look like there's too much CO2 for the tank right now?

3. Should I add in gravel for aesthetics purposes? If I do, I suppose I would have to replant the tank?

4. Are the plants placed correctly? I was trying to recall a Tropica video I had seen 1 or 2 weeks back on planted aquariums and I could vaguely remember what was to be done.

5. The mosses, will they continue to grow? I had them much earlier (for about a month or so and were placed in a really low-tech tank; some soil and weekly water changes) but they don't seem to be doing that well. I suppose it is because of the water temperature?

Hoping to learn more from all of you

Attachment 27977

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: new kid on the block

I managed to find out that the fishes in the tank are actually platys, so I guess that solves one part of the riddle

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

First, welcome to the hobby!

Quote Originally Posted by mincedmeat View Post
    Some questions:

1. Should I go low-tech in the first place? I know this is very much a personal question, but for a budding enthusiast, is there a recommendation of some sort? Let's leave out the financial aspect of keeping a tank, but constructive feedback would be appreciated!

Depends on what you want... low tech is possible but just need to ensure you keep the low tech plants which generally means plants that do not require too much light. Java ferns is a good choice... Nanas as well and some mosses. Low tech also means things happen more slowly, you have time to adjust and play around.

2. Is my CO2 diffuser placed correctly? By the looks of it, does it look like there's too much CO2 for the tank right now?

Actually need your help to elaborate more on your DIY CO2 setup. Also, seems like you are using a normal air diffuser (used for oxygen). So although you see a lot of bubbles, the Co2 might not be mixed in.

3. Should I add in gravel for aesthetics purposes? If I do, I suppose I would have to replant the tank?

No need, you already have soil! Keep it simple especially if you are new.

4. Are the plants placed correctly? I was trying to recall a Tropica video I had seen 1 or 2 weeks back on planted aquariums and I could vaguely remember what was to be done.

Again, depends on whether you are going low tech or high tech. Your foreground plant is very sparse and will take a very very long time to fill up. Also, not sure what is the plant on the left. The right I see is hairgrass.

5. The mosses, will they continue to grow? I had them much earlier (for about a month or so and were placed in a really low-tech tank; some soil and weekly water changes) but they don't seem to be doing that well. I suppose it is because of the water temperature?

Do you know what moss it is? Can take a closer picture?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by zonkkie View Post
    First, welcome to the hobby!
    Thanks!

To answer your questions:

1. Definitely understand that it would take time for the plants to grow in a low-tech tank. Will probably experiment wherever I can, that is provided that I don't kill out my tank during the experiments . Thanks for the recommendation of plants also! I will probably get some when I visit my LFS, probably later this evening. What mosses do you recommend? Or just individual preferences?

2. Well, I read the DIY set-up online so here's the mixture I got: 2 cups sugar (500g), 1/4 tsp instant yeast, 1/4 tsp baking soda. Gave the mixture a shake (actually I gave it many good shakes ) and then run a tube through a hole I punched in the cap into the diffuser, which is lowered in the tank. If the diffuser is used wrongly, what should be done to rectify it then? Is the DIY CO2 even correctly done (I believe it is, just a little tad primitive for some).

3. Thanks! I guess I was on the right track then. I just wanted to be sure I was so I don't put my hair out if anything goes wrong.

4. My friend was telling me that the foreground plant seems like HC, which could possibly be also HM; a little hard to tell from the picture so I will probably head home to take a closer one. I was also told that the hair grass shouldn't be clumped together and should be planted closer to each other than sporadically (which I did). I suppose it would help to scape the tank better in this way?

5. Sure, will take close-up pictures of the plants when I get home later and post it up.

Thanks for your help!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ok, so I went home to take some pictures of the tank. Prior to that, I decided to get some additions to the tank (I only know that I had gotten myself the starlight pleco, though I am not too sure about the plants). The pictures here will give you a clearer picture of what plants are currently in my tank.

So, I had also changed the diffuser; I hope I got this correct. It was really nice to see the plants going through photosynthesis and you could see oxygen bubbling out. So exciting!!

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Looks like a good start!

Just a couple of pointers -

1) You have HC in the tank. You mentioned your light has 2 switches. HC will need 4 tubes of light meaning you need to go high tech. It also means that you will need a proper Co2 system because DIY Co2 is not consistent. If you planning on going low tech, suggest taking out the HC and replace with your hairgrass. Your hairgrass will eventually overrun the HC anyway once they spread.

2) Can go take a look at the aquascaping section for inspiration and tips. Your scape looks quite flat for now. Usually, people have the soil thicker at the back and slope towards the front to give some sort of depth. You can also explore some form of hardscape (wood/rocks) to be the focus. Your current piece of wood is very small and will be covered when the plants grow.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the pointers!

Just one more question on scaping. I did notice that the tank right now looks like a plateau - which I had also mentioned in my first post, and I do wish to create some depth. Now, in order for me to do so, do you 1. shift soil from front to back, or 2. add in more soil at the back, or 3. find big objects (rocks) and place it at the bottom? When doing so, should I empty the tank of water or can I just leave it as it is and have the filter running in the background?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi zonkkie,

Thought you might want to see an update of my planted tank
    Attachment 28099